* Need some help with VPS Specs & Recommendations

Hey all, I'm looking to rent a VPS for developmental purposes, but not sure on the Specs I would need. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible being that its only for development and team testing. Once everything is kosher I'll be moving up to a larger VPS or a dedicated box to go public.

I'll be running the following:
    CentOS
    cPanel
    Nagios
    Shoutcast
    CentovaCast
    SAM Broadcaster
    vBulletin
    website

At Max 5 people will be accessing the site at any one time. Again once public these things will more than likely be split between 2 VPS + 1 shared account, or 1 Dedi Box.

I am thinking 1GB RAM, 25-50GB Diskspace, and 50-100GB Bandwidth would do it over the course of a month?

I'm worried about RAM being a bottleneck because of it being a testing/development environment, alot of scripts, uploads/downloads, screw ups/screw backs, will be happening.

Any help? and recommendations would be great.

I'd love to go with WiredTree or KnownHost I just can't justify the price while in development. Once public they are A+ on top of the list.

Thanks everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry4knowhow View Post
    Hey all, I'm looking to rent a VPS for developmental purposes, but not sure on the Specs I would need. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible being that its only for development and team testing. Once everything is kosher I'll be moving up to a larger VPS or a dedicated box to go public.

I'll be running the following:
    CentOS
    cPanel
    Nagios
    Shoutcast
    CentovaCast
    SAM Broadcaster
    vBulletin
    website

At Max 5 people will be accessing the site at any one time. Again once public these things will more than likely be split between 2 VPS + 1 shared account, or 1 Dedi Box.

I am thinking 1GB RAM, 25-50GB Diskspace, and 50-100GB Bandwidth would do it over the course of a month?

I'm worried about RAM being a bottleneck because of it being a testing/development environment, alot of scripts, uploads/downloads, screw ups/screw backs, will be happening.

Any help? and recommendations would be great.

I'd love to go with WiredTree or KnownHost I just can't justify the price while in development. Once public they are A+ on top of the list.

Thanks everybody.
    With traffic that low, a 1GB VPS should certainly work. I doubt you will need that much disk space; you will probably use less than 15GB. Ask the vendors of the software what their installs take up.

Are you going to be doing some load impact tests and simulating a ton of database queries?

Since you are not receiving a lot of traffic you would probably be in the $20-$30/range.

How much are you looking to spend on this VPS? Would you like it managed or Unmanaged? If you contact a few VPS companies, they will probably cut down on space and CPU to give you extra bandwidth etc. Basically a custom plan.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Yes, the traffic is low but some of the programs can be resource intensive. I also think that being in the Chicago area, you would most likely be looking for a provider around that area.

@HostKaBob - No not doing any stress testing, strictly design, development, and test driving of the website, and software, makign sure everything works well together, looks well together and getting ready to go public.

@TMZ - 20-30 would be good. Cheaper would be better like 15-25, but I understand cPanel alone is around 15, so I may be ummm hows that saying go? wishing in one hand and ______ in the other.

@Pogi - Chicago isn't a requirement, just US. I'm actually in Kansas City now. I'll worry about location specifics when we go live. Right now im just more concerned with having a testing environment thats not going to cut into other expenditures.

Try 2HourServers + XEN platform -

Cpanel4
    $27.75 Monthly use coupon "wht25" for recurring discount.
    FREE INSTANT SETUP
    50GB Storage
    4000GB Bandwidth Transfer(Unmetered Available)
    1GB Guaranteed RAM
    2GB Swap
    4cpu
    FREE cPanel Unlimited License!
    Solusvm Panel
    2 IP addresses

Order Now

I use them and have a great experience. They should be able to offer you all of the above - still contact the guy responsible for their sales at WHT - he can confirm I believe. Here is there sales thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry4knowhow View Post
    @HostKaBob - No not doing any stress testing, strictly design, development, and test driving of the website, and software, makign sure everything works well together, looks well together and getting ready to go public.
    I think you are good to go with a 1GB VPS. Where those kinds of apps tax a server is usually in database queries, and the number of queries gets higher and higher with more concurrent users and larger databases (with things like attachments, etc.)