Joe's Datacenter Tech Support sucking

I posted this in the wrong section so I am trying again. I did it in a reply to a colo offer.

I know I will probably get some static for saying this but Joe's Datacenter's tech support has progressively gotten worse during the past few years. Here's a list of what I have seen change:

1. You used to be able to call and talk to someone - cant do that anymore. That's a big deal to a lot of people.

2. If your ticket in not 911, it will not get worked.

3. If you open a 911 ticket, and they respond asking for more details, your response will go unanswered for hours.

4. If you don't spell out exactly what you need in the ticket, you won't get it. You would think that the technicians working for Joe would have some common sense but don't expect that.

5. More outages then before:
    2011 February 99.87 % Excellent 2 54 mins
    2010 November 99.02 % Excellent 1 423 mins

Now, I understand that for $40/month you can't except much but back when he first started, it was a lot better. I know Joe can't be everywhere but the delta between Joe and the people that work for Joe is crazy. I still only have 1 server with Joe and I haven't had any issues in a while. I will keep it there because he is cheap but if you want solid customer service and quick responses with issues, don't bother with Joes.

You get what you pay for!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
    Now, I understand that for $40/month you can't except much but back when he first started, it was a lot better. I know Joe can't be everywhere but the delta between Joe and the people that work for Joe is crazy. I still only have 1 server with Joe and I haven't had any issues in a while. I will keep it there because he is cheap but if you want solid customer service and quick responses with issues, don't bother with Joes.

Pay with peanuts, expect elephants and monkeys Good service, good employees, all these things cost money. The margin just isn't there in $40 products to be able to afford all the high end seasoned staff and full 24/7 coverage unless you do huge volume like burst, but even then it's a volume and quantity play, not quality.

If you get $40 of value out of it, can't really complain to much

Switch providers?

I wish you would send me an e-mail [email protected] because I really doubt some of the claims your making. My staff are competent and we have done nothing but add staff and get better about response times. You make this thread complaining but you still plan on keeping the service? I did some reporting and this month alone we have had thousands of tickets put in and answered and our response time is less than or within a hour for most general support requests. We have very few tickets even left open on average 3-4 that require escalation and most are lower priority. I'm sorry but I really would like to review your account and see specifics of what your talking about because at this point I'm having a hard time believing it.
    Last edited by JOEsDC; 03-07-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: clarification
    Joe Morgan @ Joe’s Datacenter, LLC- www.joesdatacenter.com
    Affordable & Reliable Dedicated Servers| VPS |Colocation in the Midwest

I think 1 HR for a $40/mo service is great.

I'll be honest 99.0% uptime is also pretty good for $40/mo... That's a few hours a YEAR.... if your application is critical you're spending a lot more than $40/mo lol.

I'm interested to see what Joe finds
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

I know I will probably get some static for saying this but Joe's Datacenter's tech support has progressively gotten worse during the past few years.
    Interesting. We've only been using them for a few months but I have found no issues with their tech support. They get the job done. I wonder how things were like before

Of course.
    Preetam Jinka

Isomerous - High performance web services for business and individuals.
    Bitcable Colocation, KVMs, cPanel hosting, Oracle expertise, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEsDC View Post
    I wish you would send me an e-mail
    How about going back to taking calls. Is that too much to ask?
    ---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by JOEsDC
    My staff are competent
    Disagree - Sam is decent but that's about it.
    ---------------------

...better about response times.
    Could not disagree more
    ---------------------

You make this thread complaining but you still plan on keeping the service?
    you are still cheap so I will keep the less important stuff on your servers.
    ---------------------

I did some reporting and this month alone we have had thousands of tickets put in
    It's the 7th and already "thousands of tickets" ? Not something I would be bragging about
    ---------------------

I really would like to review your account
    Not getting into account details because you'll probably just cancel my box and $40/month is hard to replace. I haven't had issue since November's 400+ minutes of down time (reported by Webhostingstuff.com)
    ---------------------

I'm having a hard time believing it.
    Don't care what you believe.
    ---------------------

Did you not notice the responses so far? No one yelling, "Joe's service is great" but more of what do you expect for so cheap.

My only point in this thread was Joe used to be a cheap provider with good tech support. Now he is just another cheap provider with crappy customer support.

Not getting into account details because you'll probably just cancel my box and $40/month is hard to replace. I haven't had issue since November's 400+ minutes of down time (reported by Webhostingstuff.com)
    ---------------------

---------------------

Did you not notice the responses so far? No one yelling, "Joe's service is great" but more of what do you expect for so cheap.

My only point in this thread was Joe used to be a cheap provider with good tech support. Now he is just another cheap provider with crappy customer support.
    Hopefully he isn't able to ID you through your username. I agree with Ryan completely, you're expecting the world for $40/mo. Considering there isn't much profit and you're giving him a reason to terminate you, I think it's best to keep quiet to say the least.

My 2 cents. However I do see your standpoint of getting a phone call answered once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by GCM
    ...you're expecting the world for $40/mo.
    It's not that I expect the world, just the same customer service that I got when I started with JDC. Since it's obvious that's not happening, I wanted to let people know.

Again, this thread was more of a warning to people, don't except the world for $40/month. Like my first post said, you get what you pay for

It's not that I expect the world, just the same customer service that I got when I started with JDC. Since it's obvious that's not happening, I wanted to let people know.

Again, this thread was more of a warning to people, don't except the world for $40/month. Like my first post said, you get what you pay for
    Gotcha, either way it looks like Joe is willing to help you out.

Sadly you're contradicting yourself with that last statement, I understand your frustration from a customer and company standpoint being ignored isn't fun. But more or less company's change their business model as they move along.

I've been trying to contact sales for the past month just with sales questions before I buy something. I haven't gotten a response yet. I've sent 2 emails to sales and one to joe's personal and no response. I would think a company would be interested in new sales but it doesn't seem so.

I have service at Joe's and while support can be slow, I actually find it very satisfying. For starters, I have never opened a 911 ticket and I have gotten replies to all my tickets. The one time I felt like my ticket was overlooked I sent Joe an email and the next day support updated my ticket with an apology.

Now, in all fairness I haven't had a real emergency yet so I can't say how the service is when my server was down and I desperately needed immediate support, but as for normal support they have been more than adequate.

-Phil

(Service: 204.27.56.50)

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    But more or less company's change their business model as they move along.
    Growing pains or the common problem you see, when a one man company turns into a larger company. It might be, that the customer does not fit to the company profile anymore (and vica versa). If someone (lets call that someone MrX) starts a business, he attracts customers. That customers have a good contact with the owner MrX. As the company grows, MrX has other obligations and duties. He hires staff, that usually have a different personality then MrX. Then suddenly, there are protocols and procedures.......... while the customer expects to call, have MrX on the phone and have things arranged, then can continue to talk to MrX about non direct business related issues.....
    This is a very common problem, no one is really to blame for this. The customer is simply used to the mom and pop store approach and the store is not able to provide this anymore, as they outgrew the mom and pop store model.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by jfreak53 View Post
    I've been trying to contact sales for the past month just with sales questions before I buy something. I haven't gotten a response yet.
    I agree with you. Getting started with Joe has also been an hard time, but I got to quote what he said a couple days ago (source) :

We just hired a new sales guy and he will get back with you but hes going through some older sales tickets first and does not work all the time so it may take a day or two before he can get back with you. Just so you don't worry we have staff here 24/7 for existing customers and they go through a different channel. I would much rather higher staff to support the existing customers than for sales. No reason to sell something I cant support. Just didn't want you to think this reflects on our support.
    I'm sure WHTers would be happy to answer your most comonly asked questions about Joe's.
    Heymman - Beefy servers, tiny price !

Well I hope they figure it out soon and I get a response back then like I said it's been a month since I first sent an email, that's a pretty long time. Thanks for the info.

So at least you realize that you're getting a bargain for $40/mo.

It sounds like Joe's has grown since you signed on. If he continues to grow at such a pace he should probably increase prices and hire more staff, but to each their own.

I was going to say "Your coming here to create this thread certainly isn't going to help his business any so your warning people to stay away yet wanting to remain is a bit contradicting. " however putting further thought into it, although not their intent, threads like this bring attention to his service which will probably result in growth due to his low prices.

I've seen nothing but good things out of Joe's Datacentre, and I find it quite hard to believe that somebody would have this particular issue. It sounds like a disconnect between the customer and the support staff, and it usually starts on the customer.

For one, it sounds like you have a skewed view on how support should be handled. Not all hosting companies have a staffed telephone number that they answer. Telephone support doesn't imply that the support provided is any better either. I've dealt with a few companies who offer telephone support, and were quite terrible.

Second, If you're escalating every ticket for non-urgent requests, I wouldn't be surprised to see it sit longer than urgent requests. You may feel it's urgent, but in the scope of things, it may not be (packet loss vs. lack of connectivity, etc.).

Honestly, if you're paying $40/mo, you're going to get $40/mo worth of support. You're not an enterprise customer, and you're not paying the amount that justifies enterprise-style support. Get a grip, and move on if it's honestly that bad.

Otherwise, take the time, e-mail joe, as he's already given you his contact information, and outlay what's going on. If you're unwilling to work with somebody, why should they honestly work with you?
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

How about going back to taking calls. Is that too much to ask?
    ---------------------

Disagree - Sam is decent but that's about it.
    ---------------------

Could not disagree more
    ---------------------

you are still cheap so I will keep the less important stuff on your servers.
    ---------------------

It's the 7th and already "thousands of tickets" ? Not something I would be bragging about
    ---------------------

---------------------

---------------------

Seems a bit unfair that your willing to post a load of bad things in your eyes, then when you get an offer to sort them out you don't accept the help!

I agree with the above. If your willing to post bad things then don't accept help to sort them out, why should the company do business with you.

Let's break this down shall we?

1. You used to be able to call and talk to someone - cant do that anymore. That's a big deal to a lot of people.
    You want phone support, you have to pay for it. Welcome to the world of colocation.

2. If your ticket in not 911, it will not get worked.
    Somehow I doubt that every ticket that gets submitted gets ignored except for those that are flagged urgent.

3. If you open a 911 ticket, and they respond asking for more details, your response will go unanswered for hours.
    Your contention here is that any urgent support issue you submit will take hours to be addressed? I think any number of people can attest that this would be an isolated problem if anything.

4. If you don't spell out exactly what you need in the ticket, you won't get it.
    What terrible customer service, you have to TELL them what you need!?!? Unbelievable, the gall of Joe's!

5. More outages then before:
    2011 February 99.87 % Excellent 2 54 mins
    2010 November 99.02 % Excellent 1 423 mins
    Clearly the two data points you provided are enough information to make broad generalizations Again, you're paying $40/ mo . . .

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    Pay with peanuts, expect elephants and monkeys
    Fast Support + Good Uptime = Provider is "Elephant" or "monkey"

______

@OP - If you're facing a lots of problem then why not move your server to other colo provider?(You can find lots of cheap colo providers at same price....)
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK

The support were quick but I left Joe's datacenter anyway, there is close to zero redundancy in power there but what do you expect for $50-$60 per month? Other than power issues, I've had good uptime. Since moving to another provider, my server has never had any downtime, and it is already over 50 days whereas I usually get 1-2 per month with Joes.

Just had my first 911 ticket with Joes, and the response time was 9min. I am sorry about your luck, but support has been good for me.
    Respectfully,
    Phillip

Your paying $40 for colo and you're expecting too much.. I know places where you pay $120 for the same colo and they don't give 2 shits about your server. If it's broken.. you go to the DC and fix it yourself.

Stop blaming the DC and try to maybe get a KVM-over-IP to fix things yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    Pay with peanuts, expect elephants and monkeys Good service, good employees, all these things cost money. The margin just isn't there in $40 products to be able to afford all the high end seasoned staff and full 24/7 coverage unless you do huge volume like burst, but even then it's a volume and quantity play, not quality.

If you get $40 of value out of it, can't really complain to much
    Hmmm..... and the repesct goes down the toliet, how old are you, you sound like 10-12.

I have a dedicated server at Joe's for about 8 months, and for the price I can't complain at all. There are two times when I recall having a "significant" amount of downtime, one last year when there was an issue with electrical in the entire building (unplanned), and one earlier this year which was for scheduled electrical work. As far as I am concerned the scheduled outage doesn't even count since everyone needs to do scheduled maintenance at some point, and with a budget host it is just impossible to get 100% rednudancy.

Whenever I put in a ticket I have never waited for more than an hour or so for a response, and that is for a non 911 issue. For 911 issues (I only had one when the power was down) I got an immediate response explaining what was going on, so I have no compliants with the service or the support.

Keep in mind the price you are paying. As mentioned if you need 100% uptime you will need to increase your budget accordingly.