SuperMicro Standoffs

Hey guys,
    I've just ordered a dual socket Supermicro motherboard and chassis which have just arrived.

The motherboard is:
    X8DTL-iF

And the chassis is:
    512F-520B

I got this particular combination as it was suggested as "optimized" on the SuperMicro motherboard page:
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...0/X8DTL-iF.cfm

However there seems to be a million and one different standoffs on the chassis which are stopping me from installing the motherboard as they are pushing against the bottom of the heatsink retention bracket. They don't seem to be detachable either so what's the best way to remove them?

use the tool that came with the chassis, they are a nut/bolt pair.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    use the tool that came with the chassis, they are a nut/bolt pair.
    Unfortunately this chassis didn't come with a tool (I ordered a 512-200b at the same time and that did). Also, the standoffs seem to be permantly attached to the chassis (the area that sticks out is round so can't use pliers etc). Should i try and find something to cut them with?

The more I look into this the more I don't think this chassis was really built for this motherboard. For example it comes with a IDE DVD rom and the motherboard doesn't even have an IDE connector! Not sure why Supermicro listed it as optimized?

I've come across that situation too. I had to take a dremel with a disk attachment and chisel it off the bottom plate.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    Did you get "Revision K" of the chassis?
    I think this must not be revision K as it only has one 8 pin power connector (and one 4 pin) and the mounting holes obviously don't line up.

I have actually managed to install the motherboard despite the standoffs pushing against the retention bracket. THe motherboard may be a little bent near one or two screw holes but it boots fine.

I also found that the air shroud isn't designed for the processor positions so I'm probably just going to leave that out.

In the future I'll be very careful to get a revision K!

That chassis is quite limited in all aspects. I wonder why you didn't get something like SC813MTQ-350CB or SC813MT-520CB for a few bucks more...

It's more than a few bucks more with shipping. Shipping on two of those chassis and associated parts alone was $300USD. Also don't need rails with these