Talking Ubuntu PPC for gaming server?

Im un decided there are only 2 options i can go with thats either ubuntu PPC 9.10 or debian PPc.

anyway is PPC good for game hosting?

Ubuntu or debian which one will you guys go for?

You can't run gameservers on a PPC arch.
    Steven Crothers
    No BS cloud engineer and Red Hat architect.

Is that PPC as in PowerPC ? It could work only if you have a opensource game server, and only if it is written to support this architecture. Regular binary only applications designed for Intel architecture cannot work on PPC.

Oh dam, thanks guys i just notice i mad a really big mistake buying the wrong types of servers.

So what are PPC used for, they are used to run the most powerful supercomputers in the world.

Purchasing power will be also great because it uses more they are used in equipments for Computer Giants

PPC is used usually for database server or hosting ERP systems. It's used mainly by big companies.

can i use ppc as a webserver?

Quote Originally Posted by userkiller View Post
    Oh dam, thanks guys i just notice i mad a really big mistake buying the wrong types of servers.

So what are PPC used for, they are used to run the most powerful supercomputers in the world.
    Not really, the PPC line is severely under powered compared to a vast majority of the latest architectures and cpu technology.

Quote Originally Posted by roony View Post
    Purchasing power will be also great because it uses more they are used in equipments for Computer Giants
    Not really, "computer giants" use x86 and x86_64 chips, why would you run a PPC chip when there is literally no commercial software which runs on it? (If I'm wrong and there is a commercial application somewhere, let me know).

Quote Originally Posted by rcbandit View Post
    PPC is used usually for database server or hosting ERP systems. It's used mainly by big companies.
    Not really, database servers use x86 and x86_64 chips, you might be thinking of the old now phased out Itanium chips. Never would a PPC chip be used by a big company, imagine the cost of re-writing every piece of software to use the PPC arch.

Quote Originally Posted by userkiller View Post
    can i use ppc as a webserver?
    Sure, it won't run well, you're better off getting a regular x86/x86_64 chip though as you'll be able to support more software.

In closing, PPC is a very aged architecture, with very little (nearly non-existant) use in real world applications. The only thing that would be running PPC chips would be extremely old legacy systems which run extremely old legacy software. It would never be in a companies best interest to turn up new PPC gear as it would be a massive waste of time, money, and man power.

Overall, the PPC architecture at this point is completely useless.

It can't run Windows, it can't run gameservers, it can't run proprietary software, and it can't run compiled software (Teamspeak for example). The fact you were sold a PPC based system is very sketchy and I would immediately request a refund and get a legitimate machine from a legitimate provider.
    Steven Crothers

Actually you can install Linux on ppc and run a web server, mysql server, mail server, etc. - linux has ppc support. Plus you can compile yourself a lot of opensource software. However if you are not a technical type this would probably cost you too much time and effort and it might be cheaper to just buy a x86 based server. How much did you pay for this ppc system anyway, and what are the specs?

P.S. I am still sleeping The title says "Ubuntu PPC system" so you already have Ubuntu Linux on it. To get a web server just apt-get install apache2, as you would on any other Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    Actually you can install Linux on ppc and run a web server, mysql server, mail server, etc. - linux has ppc support. Plus you can compile yourself a lot of opensource software. However if you are not a technical type this would probably cost you too much time and effort and it might be cheaper to just buy a x86 based server. How much did you pay for this ppc system anyway, and what are the specs?

P.S. I am still sleeping The title says "Ubuntu PPC system" so you already have Ubuntu Linux on it. To get a web server just apt-get install apache2, as you would on any other Ubuntu.
    Sure you can, at significantly lower clock speeds and at a higher cost of power/cooling. With slower memory (since the PPC arch doesn't support newer memory flavors), lack of support to newer tech (USB 3, APM, ect), and various other things.

You can install a few distros out of the box, but the rest wont even support it. The ones that do aren't worth the wasted time and energy.
    Steven Crothers