Thread: Storage Unit?

Storage Unit?

Hello WHT,

If for say I wanted a backup unit that I could for example have running 24/7 to automatically have all my clients data backed up at certain times, so this would require some scheduling on the unit itself, to basically connect to my servers and backup all data! What would I look at?, is there something out there, I understand I could just rent a server and set it up via that way, but I'm looking for the solution asked above, basically a product I can order, have sit in a building, and it will just backup all my data on servers, I don't want to pay monthly for a server for backups, if possible I want so I own the unit myself, will this require contacting ISP also? or is there a data center solution! thanks!
    Last edited by O12L; 03-07-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O12L View Post
    Hello WHT,

If for say I wanted a backup unit that I could for example have running 24/7 to automatically have all my clients data backed up at certain times, so this would require some scheduling on the unit itself, to basically connect to my servers and backup all data! What would I look at?, is there something out there, I understand I could just rent a server and set it up via that way, but I'm looking for the solution asked above, basically a product I can order, have sit in a building, and it will just backup all my data on servers, I don't want to pay monthly for a server for backups, if possible I want so I own the unit myself, will this require contacting ISP also? or is there a data center solution! thanks!
    Colocation or just order a server and put it in your office and run backup on schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA View Post
    Colocation or just order a server and put it in your office and run backup on schedule.
    I suppose I could, but is there any special type of storage units that are made for this type of use, instead of just buying a server and hooking it up basically!

If you recommend me? Also do you know if I will need to contact my ISP about it, any special requirements basically!

Quote Originally Posted by O12L View Post
    I suppose I could, but is there any special type of storage units that are made for this type of use, instead of just buying a server and hooking it up basically!

If you recommend me? Also do you know if I will need to contact my ISP about it, any special requirements basically!
    For just running backups, I don't think it would violate the TOS. It would be best reviewing the TOS again if you are not so sure. Here, we have broadband for home & biz users. People here get static IPs when they subscribe business broadband and they can run anything they want. For home users, they can't run hosting that sort of thing. Those common ports are blocked already before they attempt to host anything.

For the backup unit, you can just get a normal PC and run it as a backup server. If you prefer a rackmount server (which is quite noisy to be put in the office environment), you can look at something like Dell, HP. Those rackmount servers with lots of bays (4 or more) are usually dual-socket servers and they are quite costly and over-power to be used as a backup server. This is the reason I'd like to custom built a backup server for my own. I can use a rackmount chassis with lots of drive bays, a single socket motherboard and a processor. I have a choice on what I would like to use

I am using a chenbro RM215 for the chassis of the backup unit, a raid controller and a dual core processor. Then setup LVM, iSCSI/NFS. Snapshot the filesystem too if I would like to keep a few copies of the data over certain days.
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 03-07-2011 at 01:22 PM.