Traffic Surge Problem On Dedicated

I have a website that gets about 25,ooo hits a day (sometimes up to 40,000) I've been on Bluehost for 2 years which actually was nice but the site would get way too slow during traffic surges (afternoon hours)visitors would even have problems accessing my site.

So I went to a VPS thinking this would solve the problem. But, nope it was exactly the same as Bluehost..

Finally, I have just recently gone to a dedicated server and I have the exact same problem (dedicated is not better than simply cheap hosting at least the plan I'm on...) I was told I need to go to 4GM RAM on a DUALCore processor for $208/month (But that's with 2000 bandwidth only) ..

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? I am miffed that my site runs the same on a dedicated server as it did on cheap webhosting ???

Thankyou!

Go check out mod_cached for apache as well as google this "MYSQL tuneing script" it will give you script that will assest in configure mysql. Generaly you can safely move 90% of the memory variables up.

Who is this provider that charges $208/month for a dual core server with 4GB RAM? That's not an ATOM server right?

I think you posted in the wrong thread? anyways i know hivelocity is $60 for a dule atom and $100 for a quad core2.

What kind of website are you running? Are you employing any form of caching?

In regards to paying $208/mo that's ridiculous since you can get a Quad Core at that price. If you need a sysadmin, I highly recommend Steven at Rack911.

You can get an i7 (quad core) with 12gb RAM for around $200. Shop around.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    What kind of website are you running? Are you employing any form of caching?

In regards to paying $208/mo that's ridiculous since you can get a Quad Core at that price. If you need a sysadmin, I highly recommend Steven at Rack911.

Well I have been winging it, I started out as a wordpress blog went to a website with Bluehost -- I just post articles and a picture with the article that's it.... Once I began searching around, I can see now that the price of $208 for a dual with 4GB RAM is not good at all ...

Thanks much for your input!!

Wordpress is a bit of a killer on high traffic sites (check into wp-supercache), also consider a SSD server.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

What location do you need for your server?
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    What location do you need for your server?
    I checked out your processors and really liked them ... I am quite new to this webmaster lingo, what do you mean by what location do I need? Why does it make a differance?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlocka View Post
    I am quite new to this webmaster lingo, what do you mean by what location do I need? Why does it make a differance?

Thank you!
    He is asking if you have a targeted audience (US, Europe, Asia, etc) aka where a majority of your user base is. To a degree it does make a difference speed wise, if you're wanting something in the US, it wouldn't be noticeable if you were to get a server in Chicago, New York, etc unless you're doing gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    He is asking if you have a targeted audience (US, Europe, Asia, etc) aka where a majority of your user base is. To a degree it does make a difference speed wise, if you're wanting something in the US, it wouldn't be noticeable if you were to get a server in Chicago, New York, etc unless you're doing gaming.
    Thanks GCM - makes sense My location is United States ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlocka View Post
    Thanks GCM - makes sense My location is United States ....
    Can you manage a server yourself or are you looking for 3rd party management? (someone to manage it for you)