Angry SLHost: Have they gone downhill since the SoftCom acquisition?

I got a great deal, found on WHT, on a VPS a few years ago from SLHost. I've remained a client for these years (I want to say 3-4?), even referred 2 $500-700/mo clients to them JUST because they were so great. I no longer have my original package I purchased, but one which is 8 or 10 times more expensive.

I think they are still decent at what they do (at least the guys who are still around from pre-SoftCom days)... But now they are just "another host" instead of one that stands above the rest.

Support times have gotten a good deal longer (used to get responses in sub-15 minutes, 24 hours per day), the new support guys (who seem like they may be outsourced) do not read your E-Mails, and it takes several back-and-forth responses to convey a simple problem, and most importantly of all... They fail to address the underlying problem, only fixing it for the time being.

I've also had numerous billing issues with them since the acquisition, etc.

I feel they do still have some GREAT employees, but I think they are running the company into the ground by bringing in the ones who have no clue what they are doing.

I will be searching for a new VPS or dedi soon, as well as recommending my referrals do the same.

Does anyone agree? Any similar experiences from pre-2010 customers?

Edit: One more thing... I laugh every time their solution to my problem is "Oh you need to upgrade your ram", when things ran fine previously with zero changes. And yes, they have suckered me into actually upgrading it once.

Hi ICB,

I am sorry to hear that SLHost's service has been going downhill. I wish you the best of luck finding a new provider, there's some great ones around here!

Quote Originally Posted by JDAnswer View Post
    Hi ICB,

I am sorry to hear that SLHost's service has been going downhill. I wish you the best of luck finding a new provider, there's some great ones around here!
    Ehh, c'est la vie... It happens :-)

I've been wanting to switch for a while anyway, and yes, WHT has some awesome hosts. Just grabbed a 1gb RAM guaranteed, 2 core, 50gb disk, 1000gb data Windows VPS for $10 for the first month. Can't beat that!

I've lurked WHT for a while, just finally got around to making an account... I juggle so many accounts on so many webmaster forums that it can get overwhelming lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ICBR225 View Post
    Ehh, c'est la vie... It happens :-)

I've been wanting to switch for a while anyway, and yes, WHT has some awesome hosts. Just grabbed a 1gb RAM guaranteed, 2 core, 50gb disk, 1000gb data Windows VPS for $10 for the first month. Can't beat that!

I've lurked WHT for a while, just finally got around to making an account... I juggle so many accounts on so many webmaster forums that it can get overwhelming lol.
    Well, glad to hear you signed up on WHT, it's a great place. Are you looking to replace SLHost with a Linux or Windows VPS? If you need any help finding a new provider, let WHT know and we'll surely have some recommendations.

I never used SLHost before, but we also already acquired a few companies and it's definitely not easy to organize the whole acquisition and provide exceptional support to those customers during that time. How much time has past since softcom took over? It usually takes us around 3-6 months until everything is completely sorted out.

They do seem to have an telephone number on their site, why don't you try to call them and see if you can talk to an manager?

Whichever way you take, good luck on your journey!
    Host Mist - Helping People Say Hello World
    Shared | VPS | Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by Richard-BCS View Post
    I never used SLHost before, but we also already acquired a few companies and it's definitely not easy to organize the whole acquisition and provide exceptional support to those customers during that time. How much time has past since softcom took over? It usually takes us around 3-6 months until everything is completely sorted out.

They do seem to have an telephone number on their site, why don't you try to call them and see if you can talk to an manager?

Whichever way you take, good luck on your journey!

It has been one year to the date, since the acquisition (March 2010).

I called SoftCom a week or so ago, and got a voicemail (6 times; as well as no call back for the 2 messages I left). On the voicemail, they listed a "24/7 support phone number" for SLHost iirc.

I called that number, and it was to ANOTHER SoftCom acquired hosting company (MyHosting), unlike SoftCom claimed. I spoke with the nice lady there for about 30 minutes regarding my ordeal, and she said they had ZERO ties to SLHost even though it is a sister company. Couldn't even pull up SLHost's support tickets.

She seemed pretty perturbed that SoftCom was directing tech support to them when they couldn't even do anything. She ended up having to E-Mail their upper level management to get anything done for me.
    Last edited by ICBR225; 03-06-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ICBR225 View Post
    It has been one year to the date, since the acquisition (March 2010).

I called SoftCom a week or so ago, and got a voicemail (6 times; as well as no call back for the 2 messages I left). On the voicemail, they listed a "24/7 support phone number" for SLHost iirc.

I called that number, and it was to ANOTHER SoftCom acquired hosting company (MyHosting), unlike SoftCom claimed. I spoke with the nice lady there for about 30 minutes regarding my ordeal, and she said they had ZERO ties to SLHost even though it is a sister company. Couldn't even pull up SLHost's support tickets.

She seemed pretty perturbed that SoftCom was directing tech support to them when they couldn't even do anything. She ended up having to E-Mail their upper level management to get anything done for me.
    I would have to agree 1 year after an acquisition is a pretty decent time to settle in. It's possible once they acquired a few more companies that they are understaffed. Once I don't receive a call back, I would leave, especially giving them over a week to return your voicemails. At least you got to talk to someone from support, hopefully that representative was able to get in touch with the upper management to get in contact with you about your service.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAnswer View Post
    I would have to agree 1 year after an acquisition is a pretty decent time to settle in. It's possible once they acquired a few more companies that they are understaffed. Once I don't receive a call back, I would leave, especially giving them over a week to return your voicemails. At least you got to talk to someone from support, hopefully that representative was able to get in touch with the upper management to get in contact with you about your service.
    Was definitely lucky that I got someone friendly at the sister company.

The billing situation I had called about was resolved because of her, but yeah.. I need to call back specifically for upper management.

Failing that; the BBB may get something done for future/existing customers at least (even if I jump ship).

I'm completely done with them.

My sites were offline for a week. I was told by a client/friend that the site was offline for days.

SLhost told me they changed an IP and naturally, my sites were subject to the propagation time.

I was paying for IPs so now all my sites are on the same IP. So TL;DR: 1 week offline, all on the same IP now, was never informed and that's about it.

Just terrible service. With regards to ticket response, they are good guys, just the service is lacking a lot in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by btard View Post

My sites were offline for a week. I was told by a client/friend that the site was offline for days.

SLhost told me they changed an IP and naturally, my sites were subject to the propagation time.

I was paying for IPs so now all my sites are on the same IP. So TL;DR: 1 week offline, all on the same IP now, was never informed and that's about it.

Just terrible service. With regards to ticket response, they are good guys, just the service is lacking a lot in the first place.
    Seems as the OP is having a similar issue and the service isn't good. Best of luck finding a new provider, sorry to hear about the bad experience.

Quote Originally Posted by btard View Post

SAME exact thoughts and experience as myself, man.

I've had my whole VPS go down for literally 2 weeks, and never heard a peep from them... This has happened many times and cost me a lot of money.

I JUST made a payment to them, and can't afford to switch atm because of unrelated legal issues that put me back at square one, but I'm jumping ship as fast as possible.

I wish the worst for SoftCom

Oh, they also overbill and never notice it until you say something. Somehow, my $15/mo package is running over $100 right now. Granted I do have some add-ons, but not near that many heh

Oh and one mroe thing regarding the IPs: I pay for 10 extra C-Class and 5 exra regular IPs for a total of 18 total... Maybe 4-6 of them show as available and have sites on them, and yet support keeps trying to tell me that is all the IPs I'm allocated :-X