LiteSpeed or Varnish, or what configuration

Hi,

I am a small webhost, and I'm thinking about optimizing my server to higher speed, and security. The last thing, I think I have found out (will just get ConfigServer to do it for me once I get money for it).

But it's rather interesting how I could get my server optimized, but still without the problem with .htaccess isn't there on Nginx. I've used hours to research, and I've still not taken a descision wether it should be one or the other.

I want unbiased opinions - preferably with benchmarks.

What setup would you recommend for the fastest webserver that still support .htaccess, and are compatible with cPanel/WHM (UNIXy have made a Varnish plugin for cPanel/WHM)?

Thanks a lot for your time, and have a great time.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

If you want .htaccess support, then you will need to stick with Apache. Apache with Varnish is just as efficient, if not more efficient as nginx.

I've read that LiteSpeed also run it like Apache (with .htaccess support), so I guess the choice is between these configs, right?

LiteSpeed + Varnish
    Apache + Varnish
    LiteSpeed + LiteSpeed cache (would need at least 2 CPU license).
    Bacon forever!

Well then I guess the choice is between these 3 things:

Litespeed + Varnish
    Litespeed + Litespeed cache
    Apache + Varnish

Am I right? And what would be best of that?
    Bacon forever!

If you intend to use cPanel/WHM then I suggest you try the WHM Varnish plugin by UNIXy. You can expect that sites will load faster for visitors while at the same time server load is decreased.
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale

First, I excuse for double post. I didn't thought it got sent, so I sent it again. If a mod see this, please remove one of the posts.

Thanks for the advice srider. I did know about the plugin. I would appreciate if someone have some benchmarks to compare the three choices I listed above. And from independent sources (not from UNIXy or LiteSpeed Tech). Thanks a lot. I appreciate all the knowledge you guys have.
    Bacon forever!

Quote Originally Posted by lakridserne View Post
    But it's rather interesting how I could get my server optimized, but still without the problem with .htaccess isn't there on Nginx. I've used hours to research, and I've still not taken a descision wether it should be one or the other.
    nginx is great in many scenarios and in most cases Apache's .htaccess rules can easily be translated into nginx rewrite rules, once you're familiar with how things work.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend nginx for shared hosting, as your customers will expect that their .htaccess files they are used to will "just work". You really don't want them to contact support whenever they have to install or modify some rewrites.
    CoderJosh | Web Application Developer and Linux Server Admin
    █ Web & Mobile App Coding | Troubleshooting | Tuning | Hardening | SysAdmin Services
    https://www.coderjosh.com/

Litespeed (even 1-CPU) would increase server capacity and speed (and reduce memory usage).

Might want to use nginx as front end proxy if the majority of your sites are serving static content, otherwise stick to using varnish with apache or Litespeed; if you're having to pay for a varnish plugin you should might as well buy a Litespeed license...

I have decided to go with Varnish. I will maybe have Litespeed in the future too
    Bacon forever!

Hi,

I use Varnish and Nginx on our servers! This technology reduced the serverload by 65%​​, but you have to have Velocitraptor or SCSI HD because of webcache!

The configuration of the servers:

Varnish >> Nginx >> Apache

Quote Originally Posted by lakridserne View Post
    Hi,

I am a small webhost, and I'm thinking about optimizing my server to higher speed, and security. The last thing, I think I have found out (will just get ConfigServer to do it for me once I get money for it).

I want unbiased opinions - preferably with benchmarks.

What setup would you recommend for the fastest webserver that still support .htaccess, and are compatible with cPanel/WHM (UNIXy have made a Varnish plugin for cPanel/WHM)?

Thanks a lot for your time, and have a great time.
    best combo right now would be varnish in front of litespeed web server - my reasoning posted at http://vbtechsupport.com/33/

Don't confuse litespeed web server with litespeed cache. Litespeed cache is just a feature set of litespeed web server.

The future is litespeed cache but until it has further developments, varnish is the more mature seeing as Varnish has 5+ yr head start on litespeed cache which only came out 2011 this year.

Benchmarks http://vbtechsupport.com/26/
    Last edited by eva2000; 03-13-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer (Nginx 1.11, PHP-FPM 5.4-5.6, 7.0 & 7.1, MariaDB 10 + ngx_pagespeed + HTTP2 + lua) for CentOS 6 & 7
    : Centmin Mod .09 beta - Nginx HTTP/2+ Letsencrypt Free SSL (beta testing) support

Thanks for digging this to me. However, I also got some advice from the company, who manage my server, and they said it wasn't worth it to have LiteSpeed as backend server right now.
    Bacon forever!

Yeah if apache can handling so far, then probably not needed.
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer (Nginx 1.11, PHP-FPM 5.4-5.6, 7.0 & 7.1, MariaDB 10 + ngx_pagespeed + HTTP2 + lua) for CentOS 6 & 7
    : Centmin Mod .09 beta - Nginx HTTP/2+ Letsencrypt Free SSL (beta testing) support