What happens if I stop paying for WHM?

Hi,

I'm currently paying an extra fee for having WHM installed on my server. In fact, I have only used WHM to configure everything and now that my server is properly setup and working fine I don't need WHM anymore.

If I stop paying for WHM can I keep my current config? Or am I going to need to reinstall and reconfigure everything (i.e. Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc.)?

Thank you,
    Jonathan

WHM is not only for configuring everything once. It runs several services at the background, and organizes your server continuously, keeps logs of everything, etc.

Besides, don't you ever use cPanel either?
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

So then what happens if I cancel my WHM license? I mean if I stop paying for the WHM license.

Quote Originally Posted by jscieza View Post
    So then what happens if I cancel my WHM license? I mean if I stop paying for the WHM license.
    I would imagine your server would stop functioning the way it is right now (keep in mind that cpanel and whm go hand in hand, so if you cancel your WHM license, you will also cancel your cpanel license).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

I think that if you stop paying WHM/cPanel, your server will still be runing but you will not get updates and the Web Interface (either WHM or cPanel) will not work.
    WebTuga Hosting - Portuguese Shared, Virtual and Dedicated Web Hosting
    CloudFire WebHosting - European Low Cost Cloud WebHosting

You can cancel it, you just won't have cPanel/WHM access.

It goes into trial mode for 30 days then it won't let you log in.

Simply re-activate the license and run /usr/local/cpkeyctl to update it once you do.

Whats $34/mo anyway???
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

So if I cancel my WHM license everything will remain as it is currently configured? I'm talking about Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc.

Everything will keep running as configured but you won't have access to cPanel or WHM - it'll just keep prompting you to license it.

jscieza I understand how you feel. My suggestion is to take the time to learn how to configure your server manually. Alternatively learn how to configure it using a free control panel like webmin. You could install virtualbox on your home pc and experiment on that.

In these days is it possible to simply cancel the WHM license leaving it installed and ready for reactivation in the future? I'm asking because I have just found this:

Recently I got my second server and I decided I just want to use my first one as a backup server. I would not need cpanel to do that so I asked my NOC about discontinuing cpanel on it to save the $30/month since I won't need it. They said the OS HAD to be reinstalled which would cost $150 so I ended up just leaving cpanel on it. I did discuss it with them and asked about just cancelling my cpanel license and was told it could not be done. CPanel is part of the operating system and the server would not work. The OS would have to be reinstalled.
    Which was posted on 2003.

If your not going to use cPanel, pay a management company to setup a server for you with just want you need installed.

Would be a lot less resource intensive, as cPanel is a bit bloated.

Or even better learn how to manage a server, and it's free to setup
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!