Please HELP me get a CHEAP domain privacy service

I am currently using bluehost's domain privacy option. they are too expensive $10.00
    it used to be 4.50 but they raised the price.
    here are my questions.

1. Can I still get a domain privacy service from some other company besides bluehost? (IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE?)

2. What's a cheap and inexpensive domain privacy you recommend?

choochan, have a look at www.namecheap.com they offer whoisguard for $2.88 p/year
    Web Request - Shared / Reseller / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated
    Multiple Domain Hosting .... 24/7 Technical Support - UK Website

Transfer your domain to godaddy...
    Curvehost
    Premium Shared/Reseller/VPS hosting
    24/7 Technical Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 99.99% Uptime Guarantee

Duports correct namecheap are god when it comes to domains. I think whoisguard is free at the minute sure theres a promo on. I dont use anybody else 6 a year for .com domain

I believe they are offering free whoisguard with new and transferred domains as we speak.
    Web Request - Shared / Reseller / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated
    Multiple Domain Hosting .... 24/7 Technical Support - UK Website

You should transfer the domain to namecheap.com, they will provide free whoisguard for first year after transfer i guess and then you can renew it for around $3
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

There are a lot of companies that will provide you domain privacy for free. Just ask before buying
    LateHosting.com
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Master Reseller, VPS, SHOUTcast, Domains Registration and SSLs certificates.
    24 x 7 Support, Daily Backups, Multiple Locations, Instant Activation etc.

Never had problems with NameCheap, and as others have said, privacy is free for the 1st year.

Just wondering, why do people need domain privacy? I mean i can think of mostly bad reasons to want it, are there good reasons too?

Umm yep there are a load of companies that offer it for free, Transfer your name to one of them.
    █ Manuel Tuthill
    www.regdotter.com Cheap domain names

█ www.AvenueHost.com Quality Shared, Reseller and VPS hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    Just wondering, why do people need domain privacy? I mean i can think of mostly bad reasons to want it, are there good reasons too?
    Of course, the reasons don't necessarily have to be bad.

Whois privacy protection is free with 1and1. But then, I transferred my domains away from 1and1 and now gladly pay for the service.

We had a site not under privacy..spam med emails by the 100's and I think was on every phone marketer in the US and every mass mailing list. Took a year to get it all stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by LateHosting View Post
    There are a lot of companies that will provide you domain privacy for free. Just ask before buying
    This is a very good point, but I tend to see it more in web hosting companies that do domain registrations for clients than I see it with domain registration companies.
    Scott Swezey
    TCL Fasteners, Inc.
    Automotive fasteners for collision shops.

1) do not ever have your domain with your host
    2) transfer it immediately

internet.bs has free WHOIS privacy as well as name.com (coupon: FREEWHOIS)
    BuyVM.net. 20 containers and I still can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    I would say to be sure you really know and trust your host before having the domain registered with them. There are plenty of good hosts that won't disappear or hold your domain hostage. I do suppose the bad ones ruin it for most everyone else though, as I generally agree with what you are suggesting... At least as a rule of thumb.
    Scott Swezey
    TCL Fasteners, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSwezey View Post
    I would say to be sure you really know and trust your host before having the domain registered with them. There are plenty of good hosts that won't disappear or hold your domain hostage. I do suppose the bad ones ruin it for most everyone else though, as I generally agree with what you are suggesting... At least as a rule of thumb.
    It doesn't really matter to me no matter how trustworthy the host is, I'd have them on independent billing for obvious reasons.. there's a lot more potential issues with hosting than with just a domain

for obvious reasons..
    Obviously. (/sarcasm)

Actually, I tend to prefer concrete examples of what you are afraid of as opposed to assuming everyone thinks the same way you do. Maybe you should explain to the OP why you wouldn't suggest having a domain registered with their host, even if they do offer free domain privacy.
    Scott Swezey
    TCL Fasteners, Inc.

Not everyone posting on these forums is a web host. Not everyone with a legitimate website wants the world to know their home address and telephone number.

2) transfer it immediately
    Why wouldn't you want to have your domains with your host? So if i am hosting through knownhost which I think is reliable, do I have to transfer my domains to other host even if they are less reliable in terms of uptime rate and so on... I am confused.

A lot of people separate their domain registrar and host. This way if relations with the host turn sour, they simply point their domains to a different server and they are still up and running in short time.

Netfirms (netfirms.ca) doesn't charge anything for privacy.

+1 for NameCheap. Free WHOIS Privacy for 1 year and free SSL certificate
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Security Tool

Try domains priced right you will get best deals for cheap.
    ________
    Vic

you could even get this domain privacy free with domain registration but you may have to transfer.
    HostASP.NET offers Affordable, Reliable ASP.NET Web hosting India / USA | Linux plans, Hyper-V Virtual dedicated servers (VPS)

In terms of domain privacy... namecheap. Free for first year, $3 to renew, and they offered bulk discounts too the last time I checked

Quote Originally Posted by choochan View Post
    Why wouldn't you want to have your domains with your host? So if i am hosting through knownhost which I think is reliable, do I have to transfer my domains to other host even if they are less reliable in terms of uptime rate and so on... I am confused.
    Ideally, you'd want your websites with a reliable web host, but, your domains with a reputable and established domain company - e.g. enom, tucows, directi/resellersclub, namecheap, godaddy etc... You wouldn't put your domain with another host, you'd want it with one of the big domain businesses.

The reasons are numerous. You might have a great relationship with your host now, but, there have been countless examples on here and elsewhere of hosts holding domains hostage to get bills paid if things go wrong down the line etc... Or, if your host goes out of business, it becomes a nightmare to try and prove you own the domain and get back control of it.

Thirdly, it's often cheaper too to have your domain elsewhere.

There's a reason "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" is an old saying
    Alasdair

I used to use name.com, until they began charging for whois privacy (and I don't want to mess with coupons every year to try to get it for free).

Now I use Internet.bs. It's inexpensive, and the whois privacy is free. No coupons needed.

Look for some of ResellerClub's resellers. They obviously have a free whois privacy service.

Believe me I have 500+ domains, part of them are not private.
    The spam I don't mind, but I get at least 10 SMS and calls a day orginating mostly from Nigeria. And there is nothing I can do, when I am honest in data to the Whois. I recieved just another one a half hour ago: call me urgent! 00227201000119

Quote Originally Posted by katsu View Post
    Believe me I have 500+ domains, part of them are not private.
    The spam I don't mind, but I get at least 10 SMS and calls a day orginating mostly from Nigeria. And there is nothing I can do, when I am honest in data to the Whois. I recieved just another one a half hour ago: call me urgent! 00227201000119
    Beside spam if no Privacy, you may get email hack attempts on the email account listed in the whois. Especially if you have some valuable domain, you might find out that some stranger called your mother asking for her Maiden Name or whatever...
    So reason top reason for Privacy Whois is security as well...
    Host.al
    .al domains
    Cheap offers for many ccTLDs

anytime i dont have privacy on any of my domains i get spam particuarly ones trying to scam money out of me saying my domain is going to expire if i dont send them mmoney. it seems like the price of privacy is going up everyone. godaddy did have domainsbyproxy for just $15 a year but now its like $35 and thats just over a few months period. pretty dramatic price change if you ask me, things like this should be free.