Is there anyone out there that can match Hetzner prices?

Hi,

I currently have three EQ 10 servers with Hetzner.de

Specs:
    Intel® Core™
    i7-980X
    Hexa-Core inkl.
    Hyper-Threading-Technologie
    24 GB DDR3 RAM
    118 Euros P/M

I am thinking about getting two more of these servers but was wondering if there is anyone else out there that can match their price?

I highly doubt that
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    » Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

I've never seen it. I'd be impressed to see it.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

or any host that is remotely close to ?

I have seen some. I do not think hetzer has the greatest support and they charge tons for other items but there is still no one that even comes close to hetzers support for the price. Anyone else, expect 3-4 day response time.

Shop around, but don't forget to mention the setup fee you have to pay at hetzner. I've never actually seen anyone else offer the 980x, it's a crazy expensive processor, do you actually use it?

I've heard of some people getting it for minecraft servers, which isn't wise as minecraft is single threaded. So a dual or quad at that clock would suffice.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com • 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

I don't think that anyone will ever get near Hetzner prices. One of hetzner's rep explained what they do to get this prices, you can have a look at his post if you have curiousity about the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardoo View Post
    I don't think that anyone will ever get near Hetzner prices. One of hetzner's rep explained what they do to get this prices, you can have a look at his post if you have curiousity about the prices.
    Got a link?
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Got a link?
    click me!

10 characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardoo View Post
    click me!

10 characters!
    Thank you very much.

Yes, you can find a better offer than the Hertzner one, especially in France. Take a look at Online.net . At 99 € you can have :
    -2 x Intel® Xeon® E5620 (Westmere)
    -24 GB DDR3 ECC
    -2 x 2 TB SAS Raid 0 / Raid 1 HARD (H200)
    - 1 GBPS (no capping or limitations)
    - Free dedicated KVM
    http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/...pro-r410.xhtml

Quote Originally Posted by brentpresley View Post
    WOW!

That has to be the best bang for buck I have seen in a long time.

What's the catch?
    zero flexibility

What's the catch?
    Shared Uplink, Oversold Traffic, Only for French Citizens.
    "Hurr durr look at dem offers section" (aka read mah signature) - WHT 2015

One thing I never understood about Hetzner and OVH, is they both insist on charging two, seperate prices for services like KVM's, or a firewall

For example, with Hetzner, you have to pay for a "flexipack", which is 15 Euros a month, you can't order any additions without ordering that as well, but why?

It's very similiar to OVH, where you have to order their "Professional Use", before you can add KVM, hardware raid or a firewall

Seems a weird way of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang View Post
    Shared Uplink, Oversold Traffic, Only for French Citizens.
    It's still a great deal considering just the hardware. Wish they could rent me that box for colo at another DC..
    CurlHost - Affordable VPS/Dedicated Servers!
    Multiple Locations! We're right beside you!

I don't get why does hetzner charge for the package + KVM and the rest of the options, nor do i get OVH either but i guess their panels are so much automatic already that you don't really need any of this.

Thanks for the help guys, i spoke to online.net and they do only sell to French citizens

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Shop around, but don't forget to mention the setup fee you have to pay at hetzner. I've never actually seen anyone else offer the 980x, it's a crazy expensive processor, do you actually use it?
    Yes i use it, its usually above 80% usage.
    Last edited by hellomotow; 03-05-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    For example, with Hetzner, you have to pay for a "flexipack", which is 15 Euros a month, you can't order any additions without ordering that as well, but why?
    Dear Adam

I think, I can understand your point of view. You are probably thinking, it doesn´t take much effort to put in a second network card (only a few minutes), why should I pay an additional fee each month (flexi pack) for this very small change on the server? (The NIC is just an example).
    Let me take the opportunity to explain this from the point of view of the datacenter operator. We @ Hetzner try to give you the best price-performance ratio on the market. To get a good priceperformance ratio, you need well-designed, reliable and highly-automated products. So, our normal server deployment for your server order looks like this:

- 20 days: We order the components for your server (manual process).
    - 15 days: Your server is built (manual process).
    - 12 days: Your server gets to the datacenter and is rack mounted (manual process).
    - 10 days: Your server performs a burn-in test for about one to two days (fully-automated process).
    - 8 days: All test results are checked and stored to our hardware database (fully-automated process).
    - 8 days: The server is powered off (fully-automated process).
    + 0:00 We receive your server order (manual process - done by the client).
    + 0:00 Your order is approved (automated if you are already our client and in good standing
    - otherwise manually reviewed during business hours).
    + 0:01 System sends WOL-Signal to the server (fully-automated process).
    + 0:02 Server boots over the network and starts to perform an image installation (fully automated
    process).
    + 0:14 Some post image installation tasks are performed (set network config, date and time,
    passwd ...) fully-automated process).
    + 0:15 Server reboots into the newly-installed operating system (fully automated process).
    + 0:16 We send out the server login details to the client (fully automated process).

We have a similar process for handling server cancellations. So both processes (ordering and cancellation) are fully automated. This process works fast, is reliable and pretty cost efficient - as long as you have a standard server without any client-specific modifications. So, the main reason for the additional fee (flexi pack) is, that the server no longer fits into our automated processes. Many steps which we can handle fully automated on standard servers, have to be carried out manually in the case of non-standard servers.
    Let me give you a further aspect. You may think it doesn´t make a big difference if you support a standard server or an individual server with an additional NIC. And I would almost agree. But if you look at the datacenter as a whole and not just at the one specific server, consider the following:

If you support a datacenter with 20,000 servers - and each server is a standard server - or if you
    support a datacenter with 20,000 servers - and each server has some client-specific modifications.
    Believe me - this really does make a huge difference to datacenter support work.

In the past we have seen two different kinds of competition. One kind (often the smaller ones) offering great flexibility to its clients, but having trouble competing with pricing. This is mainly due to limited volumes and the lack of automated processes. The other kind (often with higher volumes) do not offer clients any kind of flexibility at all. They have nicely automated processes - and good pricing - but they are not able to offer any kind of flexibility. If a client needs some kind of modification - they do not offer it at all.
    I think, we are able to compete with both of these. We can deliver very attractive pricing on standard products, and we can deliver flexibility for an extra fee. But we cannot (maybe no one can) deliver flexibility to the clients for the pricing of standard products with highly-automated processes. So, we looked for a solution in the past - and our flexi pack was born. Quite a while later our French colleagues decided to use the same mechanism.

By the way - I see a lot of competition offering servers without a setup fee. I even see some offers on the market without a setup fee and, in addition, with heavily-reduced pricing in the first few months. I think this pricing strategy is completely different to the costs involved on the datacenter operator side. As DC Operator, we spent most on the money for new servers - and the new server loses most of it's value during the first few months. So, this pricing strategy is completely contradictory to the internal pricing structure of your supplier. I think, we can offer the best priceperformance ratio, if we keep our pricing structure for the client quite close to our internal pricing
    structures. This is the reason, why we do not offer any new servers without setup fees.

Adam, I hope you can see, that the fee for the flexi pack is more than an attempt just to get some extra money from you. We would not be able to deliver flexibility, at the rates for the standard products.

You are the client - and you can choose the option which best suits you:
    - great flexibility offered by smaller companies but with higher pricing
    - great pricing from big companies but without flexibility
    - our hybrid pricing as a attempt to get the best of both worlds!

I hope this background information may help you to make the best decision for your needs.

Have a nice day
    Martin

Very informative and true post from Hetzner.

I really love how Hetzner goes into so much detail and takes the time to explain it well.

I do not see any other companies that do that, and I like that.

Thanks Martin, great explanation.