MS Security Essentials

Is MS Security Essentials a competitive antivirus application? It is available for free without any trail or upgrade pack. All updates & virus definitions are downloaded free of cost. Many still recommend Norton or McAfee. Any suggestions?

Norton + McAfee are rubbish.

Security Essentials is actually pretty good, either that or Avast are the best free antivirus apps.

For paid, I like NOD32 but Kaspersky is good too.

3. MSE is an excellent free product, I would use it over any other free anti-virus program. It checks for spyware and malware automatically as well. A feature that most other companies make you pay for. Add along with that, it has a very small footprint on your system. It runs in the background efficiently. For the price (FREE!) it can't be beaten in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by phlexnetworks View Post
    MSE is an excellent free product, I would use it over any other free anti-virus program. It checks for spyware and malware automatically as well. A feature that most other companies make you pay for. Add along with that, it has a very small footprint on your system. It runs in the background efficiently. For the price (FREE!) it can't be beaten in my opinion!
    +1. MSE is dominant. I read on here about 2 weeks ago about it when people were comparing Antivirus software...it's excellent.

I use it and it's been great so far. 100% free.

Security essentials is good for a free product, sometimes you do get something for nothing but I still use ESET which is very good. It does however over block, this can be a real pain especially when its your newly created program that it is blocking.

Yes I don't like being over blocked! I've never used ESET and it's also first time i'm hearing about it.

If you not too familiar in setting up anti-virus then this is best for you. I recommend this to my clients who looks for a free anti-virus.
    Need a great way to track employees? Run payroll, track projects and much more!

Its free , light and protective for your pc .. Use it..

MSE is good, along with spybot and malwarebytes free edition. Common sense web surfing and email practice is good too. Gave up the bloatware long ago.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

First check its features like if you start scan what will be the percentage of slowing your computer as every anti virus slows down while scanning and based on all these features i prefer this one webdesigners.net.in/tech/?p=201 a lavasoft one of my favourite you can try it too

I would say it is the simplest free AV I have see. In reports of it's detection rate, it wasn't the best of paid and free AV.

In cases where people are unwilling to pay for AV, I would use it.

Actually, I have seen reviews where it is rated up with the big paid AV programs as far as detection rates.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.