Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    54

    What do you look for?

    Hello!

    This thread has probably been created more than it's fair share but I would like to get some answers for myself.

    With myself currently planning my web hosting company, I would like to know what you look for in a web host. This can be anything from a professional looking layout to support times to the servers used to host the clients.

    Please - your thoughts!

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,077
    - They must own at least their server hardware (Preferabley network kit + racks too)
    - They must use server-grade hardware, not desktop parts in a rackmount case
    - 24x7 Support as standard, with people there 24x7 not just a helpdesk you can login to 24x7

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,966
    Moved > Running a Web Hosting Business.
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,966
    If you are just starting, you can start with reseller hosting until you are stable and ready to go for dedicated server.

    You do not need to own your own server. You can lease and if you are growing, you can decide to collocate... and if you are getting million of customers, you can start your own DC :-)
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,521
    I look for good, fast, reliable customer support that is knowledgeable, friendly, and has quick response times. Make sure you don't skimp on your budget because 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by PCS-Chris View Post
    - They must own at least their server hardware (Preferabley network kit + racks too)
    - They must use server-grade hardware, not desktop parts in a rackmount case
    - 24x7 Support as standard, with people there 24x7 not just a helpdesk you can login to 24x7
    I do see why you have said that you would prefer for the company to own their hardware however, this is really not possible for a new company to fund.

    Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    If you are just starting, you can start with reseller hosting until you are stable and ready to go for dedicated server.

    You do not need to own your own server. You can lease and if you are growing, you can decide to collocate... and if you are getting million of customers, you can start your own DC :-)
    I agree with this. When I do start my company in the near future, I will be looking to use a medium spec VPS server to host shared and reseller clients and will upgrade the equipment I rent as my client base increases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    I look for good, fast, reliable customer support that is knowledgeable, friendly, and has quick response times. Make sure you don't skimp on your budget because 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for.
    Thanks for your input. This is helpful while I plan my business.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by PCS-Chris View Post
    - They must own at least their server hardware (Preferabley network kit + racks too)
    - They must use server-grade hardware, not desktop parts in a rackmount case
    - 24x7 Support as standard, with people there 24x7 not just a helpdesk you can login to 24x7
    For a new start up company? I know some successful companies who have been around for years who are still on dedicated server plans... =X
    Patrick Nett | E-mail: Patrick.Nett[at]Gmail.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickN View Post
    For a new start up company? I know some successful companies who have been around for years who are still on dedicated server plans... =X
    Yes, it's not really possible for a new company to afford. I know a succesful web hosting company (running for about 2 years now) who still rent dedicated servers and only plan on moving to colocation in the next 12 months or so.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,966
    There is a saying "leave within your means" :-) and it can apply in your business too.

    Don't jump in spending too much if you can't afford it yet. Stay low until you grow...
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    There is a saying "leave within your means" :-) and it can apply in your business too.

    Don't jump in spending too much if you can't afford it yet. Stay low until you grow...
    I plan on renting a medium spec VPS from the start until I have to grow to a higher spec VPS or a dedicated server. I don't believe in using resellers for a web hosting company you are serious about.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,966
    Quote Originally Posted by BkWTom View Post
    I plan on renting a medium spec VPS from the start until I have to grow to a higher spec VPS or a dedicated server. I don't believe in using resellers for a web hosting company you are serious about.
    Yes, that will do. It depends on you and you should know better :-)
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Yes, that will do. It depends on you and you should know better :-)
    I do know better

    It's just I don't like resellers. If I see a web host running on one, I don't believe they are professional or serious about their business.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •