Server on East-coast with low latency?

Is there any provider on east-coast, with a good enough network that you get <80ms latency from west-coast?

Quote Originally Posted by JSCL View Post
    I can't see you struggling with this. 80ms from east to west is more than doable in most locations.
    I'm in bay-area on a comcast broadband connection but when I ping softlayer's Washington DC datacenter, I'm getting around 95ms. Thats considering that softlayer has peering with comcast, so people with other connections i.e. AT&T etc would probably be getting more latency i.e. 110ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
    Is there any provider on east-coast, with a good enough network that you get <80ms latency from west-coast?
    Speed, speed is what you need!! I got a chicken around here to chase somewhere!! (rocky balboa joke! LOL)

Most good providers on the east coast can manage to get you to LA/San Fran with sub 70ms even, email and look around. Maybe check the offers section.
    Jay

I'm in bay-area on a comcast broadband connection but when I ping softlayer's Washington DC datacenter, I'm getting around 95ms. Thats considering that softlayer has peering with comcast, so people with other connections i.e. AT&T etc would probably be getting more latency i.e. 110ms.
    I'm also in San Francisco, getting 72 MS from our Corporate AT&T and CENIC connection to Voxel.net, one of the companies we use up in New York. You might want to give them a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    I'm also in San Francisco, getting 72 MS from our Corporate AT&T and CENIC connection to Voxel.net, one of the companies we use up in New York. You might want to give them a shout.
    just pinged voxel.net and got 100ms from my comcast connection.

just pinged voxel.net and got 100ms from my comcast connection.
    Not really sure what you're trying to accomplish here using ping to determine which provide to choose, also as it appears you're basing your results solely on Comcast. Only viable option I see is GigeNet in Chicago (MidWest) if you're trying to get under 80.
    Last edited by GCM; 03-03-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Same...110ms...interestingly I'm getting 80ms to atlantanap.com...but my friend who is in NY is getting 70ms to atlantanap
    The latency between Atlanta and the west coast is a fair amount lower than from New York. A good amount of routes from New York to west coast actually go through Atlanta too (Chicago as well).

It's not east coast, but for balanced pings for the country, you're going to want to look at Dallas.

Same...110ms...interestingly I'm getting 80ms to atlantanap.com...but my friend who is in NY is getting 70ms to atlantanap
    The actual coast-coast transit time should be ~45ms for Atlanta to LA. I just verified this between our Atlanta and LA pops.

That said, if you are using comcast as others had noted, they are known for their wildly inaccurate and often HORRIBLE routing. We have customers that when taking a proper route via comcast are 13ms away from us. When comcast wants to have fun they will route them to jacksonville -> atlanta -> dallas -> chicago -> NJ -> ashburn -> charolette -> atlanta -> us. When it's normally jacksonville -> atlanta -> us.

I wouldn't trust comcast's routing as far as I can throw it

I agree on comcast's routing - it's terribly inefficient in a lot of cases.

GigeNET's Chicago. If that doesn't work for ya, I don't know what to tell you.
    Patrick Nett | E-mail: Patrick.Nett[at]Gmail.com

I would highly recommend SoftLayer. They have top notch network quality and they have a data center in Washington, DC.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions