1and1 - Holding my Domain Hostage

I am a small business owner and i just started my website up in December with the provider 1and1.

They are denying my release of my domain name due to unpaid fees on something i did not order. I attempted to make a payment three times and each time it came back "Declined Debit Note," i transferred money into another account and it came back "Failure" again. I waited a few weeks to see if it was my error, they locked me out and i tried to process the transaction again, "Declined Debit Note."

I got fed up with wasting precious sleeping time trying to pay this repeated failures. They "Locked" my account again and i am not allowed to have my Domain Name for 13months. I have less business now due to not having a operating site.

I am on the hunt now for a new web hosting company and not really all too sure i want to go back down this road but, the website has helped my business dramatically.

Suggestions? I would also like to know if anyone knows how i can get my domain name, with out them taking me for money? I own the Domain, it is registered to ME! Not 1and1...

Matt

1and1 is super nasty.

They are not allowed to hold your domain hostage but they will probably make it extremely difficult for you to transfer it out. You'll need the domain to be in the UNLOCKED state and you also need the AUTH CODE. Both of these things are usually done via control panel. The other route is their super unhelpful and outsourced support. It's tough man, I'm sad for you :\

Get your domain from a trusted registrar like Internet.bs and then find a reputable host right here. Good luck.

I think anybody choosing 1and1 to register their domain and then hosting it at the same place, is crazy. Sorry know that doesn't help you. I think the chances of you resolving this issue is approximately zero. You should move on and learn from your mistakes. Never use 1and1 for anything. Never register your domain and host it with the same company. There are many great registrars. GoDaddy, Name, NameCheap, Dynadot, for example. There are many great webhosts, Hostgator, BlueHost, even a cheap host which advertises on WHT, would generally suffice, provided they don't have a lot of negative feedback. So, go get yourself another domain and start over.
    Signature Under Construction.

Ive never done the web hosting thing before this. Was my first attempt. Since i started, i have met a lot of people that have web sites in the lawn care/maintenance service area and i have heard about 2 dozen different providers.

When i got the idea for a site, i took about a week using the all-mighty GOOGLE and reading reviews... i learned my lesson!

And i cant just start over with a new domain, i just dropped 900$+ into new business cards, advertising and vinyl i NEED my domain. I dont need the lack of sleep from trying to process the payment, i have a 2month son... i lack sleep enough as it is...

Matt

Matt,

Out of curiosity, have you tried to call 1and1? You might have better luck speaking with someone, pleading your case, etc., etc. 1-877-300-8316

If you get this resolved, transfer that domain out of there asap.

Are you the administrative contact on the domain name?

I talked with danice yesterday morning and she said I had to pay the balance to unlock the account to access my domain.

Yea I am the contact on the domain name.

Is your domain "transfer locked" at the registrar?

So the solution is to make the payment by some other method.

I would call and explain why you feel that you shouldn't have been charged "X" and that you'd like to work it out.

I know exactly what you mean as I have been in the same position. Basically I ended up paying the charge plus extra charges for late payment. I then closed my account with 1 and 1!

Yeah, i am looking at 74$ right now with the late payment... i figured they would of waved it all with the new special of 6months free... Ill probably drop the money as soon as i get it and move to another provider. I wish i would of know 1and1 was so CRAPPY. I would of spent the additional money for a better web host.

Matt

Call them monday morning and see if you can get anywhere with them

1-877-300-8316

I have decided just to change my Domain. They tacked on two 19.99$ late fees and i have talked to them three times now, they wont let me pay "X" amount and just have it all said and done. I am changing my domain and web hosting... been looking into more local companies just for the fact, if i have an issue, i can do an knock on a door, HA!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by LocalLawnGuy View Post
    I have decided just to change my Domain. They tacked on two 19.99$ late fees and i have talked to them three times now, they wont let me pay "X" amount and just have it all said and done. I am changing my domain and web hosting... been looking into more local companies just for the fact, if i have an issue, i can do an knock on a door, HA!

Matt
    I know you don't want to waste any more time on this, but a couple ideas.

Get a buddy, and have him contact 1and1 saying he's purchased the domain from you and needs the auth code (you'll have to provide him with any info he needs to do this though)
    then using that auth code you can go to another registrar and transfer it into your account there..
    convoluted I know but could work

Also file a complaint with ICANN, they're responsible for all registrars, that's why they have an accredited list

Can't hurt and it may help someone else down the road

"Transfer Prohibited" - SCREW IT!

WHOIS information for maklandscaping.com :

[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
    [Redirected to whois.schlund.info]
    [Querying whois.schlund.info]
    [whois.schlund.info]

% The data in the WHOIS database of 1&1 Internet AG is provided by
    % 1&1 for information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining
    % information about or related to a domain name registration record.
    % 1&1 does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query,
    % you agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that,
    % under no circumstances, you will use this data to
    % (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail,
    % telephone, or facsimile of mass, unsolicited, commercial advertising or
    % solicitations to entities other than the data recipient's own existing
    % customers; or
    % (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that send queries or
    % data to the systems of any Registry Operator or ICANN-Accredited registrar,
    % except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or modify existing
    % registrations.
    % 1&1 reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
    % By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

domain: maklandscaping.com
    created: 21-Dec-2010
    last-changed: 16-Jan-2011
    registration-expiration: 21-Dec-2011

nserver: ns51.1and1.com 74.208.2.8
    nserver: ns52.1and1.com 74.208.3.7

registrant-firstname: Matthew
    registrant-lastname: Avny-Kneer
    registrant-organization: M.A.K. Landscaping
    registrant-street1: 1220 S Nova Rd
    registrant-street2: 57
    registrant-pcode: 32114
    registrant-state: FL
    registrant-city: Daytona Beach
    registrant-ccode: US
    registrant-phone: +1.4079491073
    registrant-email: [email protected]

admin-c-firstname: Matthew
    admin-c-lastname: Avny-Kneer
    admin-c-organization: M.A.K. Landscaping
    admin-c-street1: 1220 S Nova Rd
    admin-c-street2: 57
    admin-c-pcode: 32114
    admin-c-state: FL
    admin-c-city: Daytona Beach
    admin-c-ccode: US
    admin-c-phone: +1.4079491073
    admin-c-email: [email protected]

tech-c-firstname: Hostmaster
    tech-c-lastname: ONEANDONE
    tech-c-organization: 1&1 Internet Inc.
    tech-c-street1: 701 Lee Rd.
    tech-c-street2: Suite 300
    tech-c-pcode: 19087
    tech-c-state: PA
    tech-c-city: Chesterbrook
    tech-c-ccode: US
    tech-c-phone: +1.8774612631
    tech-c-fax: +1.6105601501
    tech-c-email: [email protected]

bill-c-firstname: Hostmaster
    bill-c-lastname: ONEANDONE
    bill-c-organization: 1&1 Internet Inc.
    bill-c-street1: 701 Lee Rd.
    bill-c-street2: Suite 300
    bill-c-pcode: 19087
    bill-c-state: PA
    bill-c-city: Chesterbrook
    bill-c-ccode: US
    bill-c-phone: +1.8774612631
    bill-c-fax: +1.6105601501
    bill-c-email: [email protected]

% See http://registrar.1und1.info for information about 1&1 Internet AG

I came on today after a long day of cutting 11 acres. Decided "lets see who owns this" ... ... I DO! As i thought and have been told. It's transfer prohibited untill i pay my outstanding balance of 84.98$ which i do not plan to purchase for the fact that the 1and1 service sucks royal booty.

Now i am onto purchasing a new domain and i am wondering where i should go and get it? Go Daddy? WHERE?

I am going with Stability Hosting that is owned/managed by a local company and they actually spent some time on the phone with me and explained what they offered, how to use it and will help me in uploading my new site after i put it together.

WHERE TO PURCHASE MY NEW DOMAIN!?

Matt

I've already given you several suggestions.

Could be better, but not THAT bad....

1and1 is completely honest in a legal sense; They are also honestly hard to deal with sometimes.

@LocalLawnGuy:
    • Name.com has excellent customer service response and a solid reputation.
    • Godaddy is "pretty good", but there are some scary stories floating around. Generally, they are good for domains and awful for hosting.

@Anyone Else
    • 1and1 currently has .com's for just $4.99 and this is a great deal.

Seriously, check your current invoice every month, to make sure you didn't mistakenly order something unexpected.*
    *I've had them reverse an over-charge on a domain ordered just one day before a sale ended.

With 1and1 you need to pay attention to details when canceling hosting and domains. 1and1 is completely honest in a legal sense, and I've never had any real problems.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalLawnGuy View Post
    WHERE TO PURCHASE MY NEW DOMAIN!?

Matt
    Personally, I use Moniker and NameCheap. The latter has a coupon around somewhere to save further.

Good luck.

GoDaddy, Moniker and NameCheap are all viable options for registration. I sell domains for a living and have most of mine at GoDaddy and Fabulous (I wouldn't suggest Fabulous unless you have a lot of domains and can get into their wholesale program).

I Decided to go with GoDaddy and i like it. I have an issue with it tho. I have set-up my Domain with new DNS Settings and it forwards to my new host but brings up a LOG IN page on my new host.

I decided to go with a local company Stability Hosting, about 15miles from my home here in Daytona. I like them, very easy to talk to and dont bite my head off when i call to as a stupid question.

We cant figure out why the DNS Settings havent done anything tho.

Matt

Matt,
    Shared hosting? cPanel or other?
    It should work by now: Who is 'We' you and a partner, or you and the hosting company?

If your nameservers are set properly at Godaddy, and it's shared hosting, this is something any decent host *must* be able to get right.

1and1 RIPPED off...happened to me as well..PLEASE READ

Hey guys,

I noticed this same problem is happening to everyone...we need to take a stand and fight back by showing the world what they do to hard working business owners like us...they lied to me over the phone...falsely charged me...and held my domain hostage after paying them over $2000 over the course of a year...I am a long standing SEO expert and have done a ton of research into how to expose them..if you are interested please post here so we can begin a plan to post on rip off, scam, and hosting review sites...we can get together and make a big difference