Thread: DNS Queries

DNS Queries

Hey guys, need some help understanding the "amount of queries" on dns services. I was reviewing the dnsmadeeasy service and notice this information.
    I'm planning to have 1 domain for different servers and I do not know how they compute this queries or basis of computation.

Appreciate some help. Thanks
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Each time your domain name is requested by someone a "query" is made; the request looks through your zone file for specific things.

For instance, if someone wants your website, there is a query for your .com, then your "A" record in your zone file, and a classification for your DNS name.

I feel that your slightly worried about hitting your query mark? I can speak from personal experience with DME that unless you're doing some crazy-busy stuff with your domain, you'll never come close to hitting those query limits. I've had a business account with DME for years - hosting many client domains and I've never worried about the limits.

Hello Chris, thanks for the reply and you are right man. I'm worried about hitting the allocated queries. I'm planning to use this on a hosting domain. 1-domain for 3-servers.
    Its like this...(http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1025660)

I don't know if the small business plan is sufficient for this setup.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

How much traffic are you expecting?

The small business option gives you 5 million queries per month; that's a lot. You can have 1 domain with 100 servers, that doesn't mean you'll ever come close to hitting your query limit.

I cannot tell the amount of traffic as I will be setting this up for client servers. I do not know either if every traffic of my clients on their respective site will be counted for this queries.

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    Hey guys, need some help understanding the "amount of queries" on dns services.
    DNSMadeEasy receives a query every time the data required about your domain is expired / not cached on the computer requesting the IP address or on an intermediate cache name server -- theorically the DNS data expires after TTL (Time-to-Live) seconds but some ISPs disregard TTL and keeps the records longer. Depending on TTL and visitor's ISP you may receive thousands of Web hits with just 1 DNS query. It is quite common with popular sites.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 03-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    DNSMadeEasy receives a query every time the data required about your domain is expired / not cached on the computer requesting the IP address or on an intermediate cache name server -- theorically the DNS data expires after TTL (Time-to-Live) seconds but some ISPs disregard TTL and keeps the records longer. Depending on TTL and visitor's ISP you may receive thousands of Web hits with just 1 DNS query.
    Thanks for the reply dotHostel

Follow-up question for this setup...

Domain Name: www.mycompany.com

Sub-Domain Access: rs1.mydomain.com - A record - 0.0.0.0.1
    Sub-Domain Access: rs3.mydomain.com - A record - 0.0.0.0.3
    Sub-Domain Access: vps1.mydomain.com - A record - 0.0.0.0.5

Reseller 1 - Provider
    rs1.mycompany.com - 0.0.0.0.1
    rs2.mycompany.com - 0.0.0.0.2

Reseller 2 - Provider
    rs3.mycompany.com - 0.0.0.0.3
    rs4.mycompany.com - 0.0.0.0.4

VPS - Provider
    vps1.mycompany.com - 0.0.0.0.5
    vps2.mycompany.com - 0.0.0.0.6

----------------------

Example: I have 5,000 clients distributed to those servers / location with an average traffic of 100 - 1,000 visit per day. Do you think the small plan of DME is enough?

I'm really worried that one day everything becomes inaccessible.

Can you recommend a reliable DNS provider who do not compute or limit the queries?

I recommend DNSMadeEasy. It costs ~$60 / year for 10 million queries a month and up to 25 domains.

You may want to run your own DNS servers if you demand a lot more queries.

You may also use the (free) DNS service provided by your domain registrar.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    I recommend DNSMadeEasy. It costs ~$60 / year for 10 million queries a month and up to 25 domains.

You may want to run your own DNS servers if you demand a lot more queries.

You may also use the (free) DNS service provided by your domain registrar.
    Actually, I'm currently using the DNS of ResellerClub and sometimes while watching the record. A lot of their IPs are failing although they have a lot of backups. I think they have 12 in total.

As for running my own DNS, I'm not sure but I might check the Cpanel DNS Only.

You may check your domain using online tools like
    http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/
    http://www.intodns.com
    http://pingability.com/

Some eventually a few name servers are down this is not that serious as DNS was designed to endure this condition.

Why don't you go with the DME plan first and keep an eye on things the first month or two? You might be surprised at the number of queries (how little you use up) and save money, and headaches but using a pretty robust enterprise system.

Depending on the number of domain(s) you host, Amazon's Route53 service could be a viable option for price/queries also. I use that for my personal domain and have been very happy with it. Either way, I think you should start with one service, keep an eye on it, and make adjustments from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Interknox View Post
    Why don't you go with the DME plan first and keep an eye on things the first month or two? You might be surprised at the number of queries (how little you use up) and save money, and headaches but using a pretty robust enterprise system.

Depending on the number of domain(s) you host, Amazon's Route53 service could be a viable option for price/queries also. I use that for my personal domain and have been very happy with it. Either way, I think you should start with one service, keep an eye on it, and make adjustments from there.

I really like the DME and I agree with you about the robustness of their system.
    Thank you for the Amazon suggestion, I will look into this as well.