Migration from Shared to VPS

Hi,

I have just switched from a shared server to a VPS . The support was nice and transfered my account from the old to the new server but I still don't get some points.

1) I don't want any downtimes so I did not make the DNS changes yet.
    I have registered the new nameserver with my registrar, but after the registration it tells me that it takes 24-48 hours for the DNS changes to get globally propagated.
    Does this mean that I have to wait 48 hours before I can put the new DNS into my domain?

2) Beside this I am told to update the zone file at the source server to point A/MX record.

What does this mean?! what is the zone file, what is the source server and what is the A/MX record?

If you are migrating from a shared server to a VPS within the same provider, he can handle the migration without any downtime.
    If not, there is still no downtime, but you will not be able to access to your files on your VPS until a period of 1 to 72 hours (depending on your ISP, and your location) called propagation.

Process is rather simple.

1. Migrate the accounts using the control panel if its available
    2. Change the name servers to point to the new server . This way the domains will be up on both servers.
    3. Once the dns propagation is completed, you can resync the files to get recent updates.

You dont have to worry about the zone file, if the sync is done correctly. I suggest you employ the support team to perform this for you.
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management
    Spiralbean.com - Custom Software Development
    Email: exec @ activelobby.net | Skype: unni_active

If yopu do not want any downtime and have no idea how to proceed I recommend you ask your web hosting company for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
    Hi,

I have just switched from a shared server to a VPS . The support was nice and transfered my account from the old to the new server but I still don't get some points.

1) I don't want any downtimes so I did not make the DNS changes yet.
    I have registered the new nameserver with my registrar, but after the registration it tells me that it takes 24-48 hours for the DNS changes to get globally propagated.
    Does this mean that I have to wait 48 hours before I can put the new DNS into my domain?

2) Beside this I am told to update the zone file at the source server to point A/MX record.

What does this mean?! what is the zone file, what is the source server and what is the A/MX record?
    1. DNS propagation: It is usually much faster than 24 - 48 hours. If both sites still exist in the same format it can be easy enough; go to http://intodns.com and enter your domain name. You'll see the registered name servers and the IP address listed near the top of the results page.

Because of the way the DNS system works, with many servers between you and the "master" servers, all with caches, it can take 24 to 48 hours for all the ISPs in all the world to "point" to the new IP address. To see if YOUR ISP has updated their DNS server to the new IP, click "Start" > "Run" and type "CMD" in the run box. In the DOS window that comes up, type "ping yourdomain.com" and note the IP address that ping reports. (In Windows Vista and 7, type "CMD" in the search box and then ping your site).

2. If your host moved the site for you, and then sent you an email with the new name server information, they have probably already created the MX (mail exchange) and A records (the A records point to the sites on your VPS). Just ask if they have done this. If they have, all you have to do is make the changes in step 1 and wait for the DNS to propagate.