Need help with home network

Hello guys,

I need a bit of help with my home network. Basically, I have an old Vigor2900 router which I used to use as my main router/VPN until I was given a router from my provider as part of a speed upgrade which could handle the new 50mbps speed, whereas the Vigor couldn't. Now I want to keep the new router (Dlink dir-615) as the main router and have the Vigor2900 for VPN only, but am struggling with getting this to work.

Both routers are connected directly into a Dell 16-port gigabit unmanaged switch, as is every machine on my home network.

I have tried to assign the Vigor with an ip of 192.168.1.2 and then have the Dlink (192.168.1.1) forward port 1723 to 192.168.1.2, but this doesn't work. I hope someone give me a little help.

Many thanks.

For testing purposes have you tried dmz'ing the vigor yet? Also depending on what type of vpn the vigor router is using you might be able to get away with port forwards.

Now the other thing to keep in mind is routing tables, chances are whatever IP range you hand out on the vigor to vpn clients you will need to static route in your router to bounce it back to the vigor (since the vigor is no longer the default route for your LAN/network devices).

I've setup a similar setup with untangle and openvpn in the past where we used it in transparent bridge mode and had a cisco router (needed to static the openvpn client range in the cisco and bounce it back to the untangle so traffic got to where it was supposed to go).
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

I believe I have put the Vigor on DMZ for test, but didn't make a difference if I recall correctly. Every time I try to connect to the VPN (PPTP) it simply fails.

Also, please let me know if there are any specific router settings I should post here to help get it working.

Well it sounds as though its failing with the forward? in the Dlink under the advanced port forwarding option try:

Name: PPTP
    IPAddress: 192.168.1.2
    Public port: 1723
    Private port: 1723
    Traffic Type: TCP

Name: IPsec
    IPAddress: 192.168.1.2
    Public port: 500
    Private port: 500
    Traffic Type: UDP

and also add a setting to the Dlink firewall to allow the VPN from the WAN to the Vigor's LAN address. The firewall could be the culprit even though the forward is set it still isn't allowing the VPN passthrough connection from the gateway to the vigor in affect you need to tell the firewall to first accept the (WAN) VPN connection in the gateway device(Dlink) and then to allow passthrough/forward to the to the (LAN)vigor.

Hope you get this sorted.
    I H4t3 l33T, l33T i5 4 l053r5!
    ██
    ███
    ████ Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Wow - thanks for that guys, will definitely try it when I get home.

I'll report back in the evening to give an update.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any input, please feel free to add a reply.

You also may find it helpful to look in the logs of the main router.
    ██
    ███
    ████ Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

I've set up the forwards, now trying to open the firewall on the Dlink for the Vigor

My brain's turned to mush! Does this look correct to you for the firewall setting - http://tinypic.com/r/6gd8c0/7?

Quote Originally Posted by demonnet0 View Post
    My brain's turned to mush! Does this look correct to you for the firewall setting - http://tinypic.com/r/6gd8c0/7?

Yes but I would add the vigor LAN ip to the range 192.168.1.2

and then try the VPN and check the logs if it doesn't work.
    ██
    ███

Added 192.168.5.2, tried to connect but fails! The logs on the Dlink are extremely vague and don't say much - only that it's detected an 'xmas port scan' on ip's belonging to Google! I have tried to portscan 1723 from an external source, but it still says it cannot find 1723 open.

I'm going to call it a day and continue tomorrow after work, but if you do have any further thoughts, please let me know. Thanks for all your help.

You may need to strip things back to bare basics and build up if all else fails.
    ██
    ███

You mean reset the routers back to their default settings?

You may be right - I don't know what else to do! I've created the port forwards from Dlink to Vigor, and have opened the firewall on the Dlink for Vigor! May be it's just not possible to do?

And you've tried the DMZ with the allow VPN passthrough option ticked in the Dlink right?

What I mean't by strip things back was take the vigor out of the mix and try just setting up the Dlink for the VPN connection if you can get that to work then add the vigor back in and try again.
    ██
    ███

I have no such option for allowing VPN passthrough, but when the router boots up, the logs do say that VPN passthrough is enabled.

Hi all,

Just an update - the router I'm using is supplied by VirginMedia (a UK Cable company) and what they've done is to use their own custom web interface for the router thus limiting the router's full capibility. Well, it turns out that many people who want to connect to VPN's have had an issue with VM's custom software not allowing VPN ports to be forwarded, so I'm going to update the router's firmware tonight, then try the suggestions posted in this thread again, and will let you all know how I got on if anyone's still interested?

Many thanks to all that helped.

No problem I did read about the firmware on that model as well I hope it works out for you...
    ██
    ███

The D-Link will need to have its own built-in PPTP rule for this to work. If you make your own using port 1723 it won't work because PPTP also requires IP Protocol 47 (GRE). Any VPN Passthrough checkboxes on your D-Link probably deal with outgoing connections, not incoming connections.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I appreciate the help of all contributors to this thread for trying to help me get my VPN sorted, and now that it is, may I make a request to the mods to kindly close this thread.

Thanks once again.