Reseller Question

I have seen threads that send people to resellers. I have spoken with a couple of them and found that there is no due diligence on their part.
    They just take the colo on their word, that they are ďgoodĒ at what they do.
    Is there a reseller that actually covers the bases with a site visit or even a questionnaire?
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hey gtait i'm not sure I am following your question here.

Quote Originally Posted by gtait
    Is there a reseller that actually covers the bases with a site visit or even a questionnaire?
    Please elaborate...

Sorry about that.
    If I have a potential colo customer, that customer would presumably do some research on my company, asking questions about flood zone, redundant power, cooling, internet, SAS70, etc. I have spoken with two resellers and they did not look for anything, at all. No questions, no research, nothing, just my word that I have a DC.
    My question is then, if these resellers were really worth the commission they seek, would they not want to represent their customers by pointing them to the best provider available. From the small amount of research I have done resellers don’t do this. Or perhaps they do and I am just not looking in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by gtait View Post
    Sorry about that.
    If I have a potential colo customer, that customer would presumably do some research on my company, asking questions about flood zone, redundant power, cooling, internet, SAS70, etc. I have spoken with two resellers and they did not look for anything, at all. No questions, no research, nothing, just my word that I have a DC.
    My question is then, if these resellers were really worth the commission they seek, would they not want to represent their customers by pointing them to the best provider available. From the small amount of research I have done resellers donít do this. Or perhaps they do and I am just not looking in the right place.
    I guess they are taking for granted your honesty? Is the information not readily avaiable on your site? Maybe they did their homework and found it through the web if its published, or you already have reviews listed??

Information about your colo offers and data center can be found on your site and in other places, like robtex.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Hostirian View Post
    Information about your colo offers and data center can be found on your site and in other places, like robtex.

Thanks for that.

Sorry about that.
    My question is then, if these resellers were really worth the commission they seek, would they not want to represent their customers by pointing them to the best provider available. From the small amount of research I have done resellers donít do this. Or perhaps they do and I am just not looking in the right place.
    You probably nailed it on the head already. It's the "commission they seek" -- not quality and most could probably care less about integrity. If you are buying colocation - it should be a large enough spend to bypass a reseller and go directly to the full on provider. Resellers also present another layer of communication to go through, which may or may not be a big deal depending on how the arrangement is setup between the reseller and the company that is responsible for the SLAs and service.
    Dan Buyer
    InfoRelay - Connected, Protected, Perfected.
    Equinix LAX & DC, One Wilshire, Wilshire Annex, MPT, VE, 1275K, Reston Exchange, Reston Equinix, 60 Hudson, NYC, and Chicago
    www.inforelay.com

Because everything on the internet is true, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dbuyer0 View Post
    You probably nailed it on the head already. It's the "commission they seek" -- not quality and most could probably care less about integrity. If you are buying colocation - it should be a large enough spend to bypass a reseller and go directly to the full on provider. Resellers also present another layer of communication to go through, which may or may not be a big deal depending on how the arrangement is setup between the reseller and the company that is responsible for the SLAs and service.
    Dan, you get where I am coming from here. If a reseller wants 10% of a $5k per mo. deal. I would hope he did more than just look me up on the internet...???

Because everything on the internet is true, right?
    That made me smile - of course not everything on the Internet is true, but I doubt the info on RobTex is not.

Dan, you get where I am coming from here. If a reseller wants 10% of a $5k per mo. deal. I would hope he did more than just look me up on the internet...???
    With some businesses out there today you can never be too sure if they did any homework...Just my opinion.

That made me smile - of course not everything on the Internet is true, but I doubt the info on RobTex is not.

I think what Geoff is getting at is there needs to be a group (like NAID for Records Management facilities) for colo's - where if you want to be member, someone comes to your facility and actually verifies you have, what you say you do on your marketing materials.

SAS70's are a great start but that's only part of the equation IMO.

I do agree with you, but I was simply pointing out one tool that could be used for researching info on your data center. After reading through your site and comparing that info to the info on Robtex, I had a few questions myself. Of course, everyone should use due diligence, not just in selecting a data center, but in dealing with any vendor.

While visiting the data center is great, and recommended, it's not always necessary.

I agree with you on this.
    If a reseller is looking at a particular facility.
    Say Denver. And he/she has a choice of getting either 10%, or 15% off the monthly cost.
    He might be more inclined to just go with the higher.

Good point though.

While visiting the data center is great, and recommended, it's not always necessary.
    Totally agree.

I hear you loud and clear! Unfortunately I doubt this is the case though. . Honestly what a re-seller seems to want more than anything, is the lowest priced option. The lower priced option is always going to be easier to close.
    Dan Buyer
    InfoRelay - Connected, Protected, Perfected.
    Equinix LAX & DC, One Wilshire, Wilshire Annex, MPT, VE, 1275K, Reston Exchange, Reston Equinix, 60 Hudson, NYC, and Chicago
    www.inforelay.com

Your points about the lowest bidder, search the internet, pick up the phone and ask questions, etc., is absolutely correct and further validates my original question, now comment. Call me a skeptic, but if you are looking for a DC, donít bother with a reseller!
    Any resellers want to defend yourselves? Flame away ladies.

That's the most straight forward approach. But an equinix cab for 1500-2000 street price. Vs maybe 1200 wholesale discount? Hmm. I would check reseller sla above all. Not all resellers are bad.

Only a few clients really ask a lot of questions.

I think most of them wouldn't be contacting you in the first place if they didn't think you were trustworthy and worth doing business with. After all, if the impression left by your marketing and feedback from other customers makes them think twice, would they trust whatever you had to say anyway?

And then also, I think a lot of people don't really know what questions to ask, or even if they do, would the answer really be a deal breaker? Stuff you might find really important, you'll find that 75% of potential customers either won't ask about. Even then, half of those people who do ask, you won't lose the deal even if you give them the 'wrong' answer.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com