Thread: Cloud help

Cloud help

Hi i bort 3 of those hdamas of ebay with 2 cpus and a great deal of ram,

my specs are:

2x 4.8ghz CPU'S (AMD'S)
    16GB DDR2 RAM
    3x 200GB RAM

Do you think this will be capable of running cloud and cpanel for selling just shared hosting or do you think it will slug after a cupple of hosting accounts?

Or can someone recommend what i should use to get them to keep there speed up after sevral accounts or game slots?

Thank people.

Nice servers, 4.8GHz. AMD never made anything that high. I think highest GHz they made were in the 3.4GHz on the Phenom 2 series.

Which CPU's did they come with? DDR2 makes me think Older Opteron's Barcy, Shanghai.

Im sure it will do great for any given solution your looking at. Do you have a SAN's unit already?
    Michael Wallace - michael@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - A Cloud Service Provider
    24/7 Support, Call us @ 1-307-200-4880
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

It depends on what you are meaning by "Cloud". If you are simply wanting to make virtual servers on a single stand alone server, then that would be fine to start out with. Virtual servers are almost always more memory hungry than CPU so 16gb of ram is good.

As far as the hypervisor, Xenserver is probably the easiest to setup and to use and their free version is fine for a single stand alone server like that. It also works on just about any hardware as opposed to VMWare which is more hardware specific.

One server won't get you any redundancy though so make sure you are doing backups. Citrix Xenserver allows you to do snap shots of each VM and that should be done to a different server or at least to a different drive.

Hi sorry it was 3.8 i was ment to put, well originaly i was suppost to just use a reseller but i carn't find no reiliable ones so i decide to buy them and check out some different os that i could us.

I was originaly useing the cpanel centos image from there main site and cpanel on one of them but after around 200 shared accounts it started to slug and crash i contacted the manufacturer and they recommended cloud for what i was doing and update the bios, So after reading your advice i think i will give that ago later tonite and i will let you no how i get on.

I have sent a request to a uk datacentre bluesquare and a us co-location team so i just wanted to make sure they were perfect before i sent them off as i don't want them to go down or crash as soon as they get there.

thanks people.

Also when i bort them there were all different parts in each one and one come with a intel server board with a single core but that is what you get when you but a job lot that is listed wrong and would cost me more than what i payed to send them back to china.

Thanks.

You may need to do more research, I know some Cloud systems (AppLogic, particularly) requires exact consistency between the production servers in the cloud.

EX: You can't have variances between the servers, they need to be exactly the same for proper failover.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

They can get IO intensive, so make sure you have a fast RAID array or disk array to connect that to.

I have got it up and running just need to send them off and see how they get on seem to be fine atm but we will tell when they get accounts on them.

Cheers for the help everyone