High-memory servers

Hey everyone.
    I looking to build a high-memory box. Here are the main things I need:
    - As much RAM as possible (32GB+) at the lowest price possible.
    - CPU performance is not as important. Dual or quad core chip would be fine.

Extra features that would be nice (but are not required):
    - ECC RAM
    - Reasonably efficient, not power hungry

So far, I've landed on a few ideas:

SM X8SIL-F with a Xeon 3400 and 32GB of Reg/ECC ( http://www.provantage.com/kingston-t...g~7KIN9184.htm ?)

SM H8SGL with an Opteron 6100 and 64GB of Rec/ECC (not sure about RAM compatibility yet, any suggestions?).

Any other suggestions? Any compatibility issues to watch out for?

EDIT: Any ideas about memory compatibility/capacity for the Sandy Bridge E3-1200 Xeons?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Samuraid; 02-28-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Even if CPU power isn't a key factor, multi-processor boards will offer twice (or more) memory slots.

So if you want to go to really high memory, consider buying a mp motherboard and installing N lower processors just for the extra memory slots.

Not cheap but pushes the amount of memory a single board can take up quite a lot.
    Cloud Pixies Ltd. Adding some Pixie magic into the Cloud!

I get some of my stuff from AcmeMicro.com. They have a pretty good selection and allow you to search and filter by almost anything (# of memory slots included). The RAM there is pretty cheap too.

You have to be pretty careful with memory. Server boards tend to be much more picky than desktop boards; sometimes you'll get RAM with the right specs and it just won't work. I'd recommend going through a place that allows you to configure RAM with the server rather than buying it separately, that way you know it's compatible.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraid View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I looking to build a high-memory box. Here are the main things I need:
    - As much RAM as possible (32GB+) at the lowest price possible.
    Thanks!
    I fell in love with the opteron 6100 systems because of the amount of memory slots they usually come with. But the pickyness also worries me, and I've already heard about issues there
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    putting one Xeon E5506 CPU on supermicro X8DTN+-F board (18x DDR3 DIMM slots) can get your 72GB RAM (9x 8G ECC registered DDR3), and with 2nd E5506 installed, you can have 144GB (18x 8G).
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you recommend any specific 8GB RAM modules for the X8DTN+?

Quote Originally Posted by wartungsfenster View Post
    I fell in love with the opteron 6100 systems because of the amount of memory slots they usually come with. But the pickyness also worries me, and I've already heard about issues there
    Yeah, I'm worried about pickyness as well. If you hear anything about what memory modules are recommended for the 6100-series systems, let me know.

EDIT: Looks like this one is on Kingston's approved list for the H8SGL-F:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139140
    Last edited by Samuraid; 02-28-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wartungsfenster View Post
    We use the Opteron 6100 series on several servers, some with registered ECC and some with unbuffered ECC, and I haven't encountered any problems with memory compatibility. The platform is very flexible.

If you're using huge amounts of RAM, there are things to keep in mind. The H8SGL has 4 channels, each with two DIMM slots. The RAM that you linked to is quad-rank, which will work at full speed if you put one per channel. If you put two per channel, they'll probably need to be downclocked from 1333 to 1066 to run reliably. If you were using dual-rank or single-rank memory cards, that wouldn't be necessary. See section 2-6 of the H8SFL manual.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    If you were using dual-rank or single-rank memory cards, that wouldn't be necessary.
    To save people some trouble, when you're looking at Kingston RAM, you can tell whether it's single/dual/quad-rank from the model number. Their DDR3-1333 ValueRAM starts with KVR1333D3 for 1.5V, or KVR1333D3L for the low-voltage ones. The next letter is the rank, either S, D, or Q.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    putting one Xeon E5506 CPU on supermicro X8DTN+-F board (18x DDR3 DIMM slots) can get your 72GB RAM (9x 8G ECC registered DDR3), and with 2nd E5506 installed, you can have 144GB (18x 8G).
    that's what i'd recommend as well
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

9. Quote Originally Posted by Samuraid View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you recommend any specific 8GB RAM modules for the X8DTN+?...
    just about any 8G ECC registered DDR3-1333/1066 module will do. x4 or x8, dual-rank or quad-rank, doesn't really matter! the IMC on Gainestown/Gulftown Xeon takes them all, and each CPU supports up to 144G RAM.

if you like Kingston, these 8G modules will do just fine on X8DTN+ board, BUT you don't want to mix them, though!
    KVR1333D3Q8R9S/8G
    KVR1333D3D4R9S/8G
    KVR1066D3Q8R7S/8G
    KVR1066D3D4R7S/8G
    KVR1066D3Q4R7S/8G

for CPU, you can also use Xeon E5503 dual-core if you don't really need a quad-core E5506.

Last few boxes I ordered had 96GB RAM in each. Works fine, go for it.