[Review] PhotonVPS

First off, I was with them maybe 2 weeks. So, this review is not necessarily about their uptime and hardware.

I'll start with the positive. Low prices and fast setup. Though I did run into some problems when using a CC.

Negatives. They didn't setup my VPS properly and when I ask for ANY type of support, they request my IP (normal with most providers), root port (why is this relevant?) and root password (WTF? Why the hell do you need my root password? I will never give my root password in a support ticket. Its not my fault you have a crappy system installed and can't access any files). That is just the support request problems.

Another positive? Relatively short response times. Oh, and I got my refund.

Negatives again. Support seems to have no idea what they are doing. Requested that they change my listed hostname which for some reason they put (vps.bravo.x-ind.com) even though I signed up with (bravo.x-ind.com). So, even if I changed it on my end, the support still didn't change it on theirs. I was supposedly given an IP....that didn't work. They told me it worked...I couldn't connect to SSH half the time.

All in all, it was a regular host it seems.
    If you want to chance support, go with em. They are quick to respond.
    If you want technical help, not the provider to go with.
      0 Not allowed!

Providers ask for ssh port because most people change it from the default 22. Asking for root password isn't such a bad thing. It means they don't keep it on file which adds more peace of mind, at least for me.

Not sure what you mean by changing the hostname on their end. Are you talking about the listed hostname in their client area? If so, is this really a justified complaint because what they have on file doesn't affect your VPS in any way. I have VPSes with providers and the client area lists an old domain which I used to sign up with which I don't use anymore.

Regarding SSH not working, what did they say when you asked them about it?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    Providers ask for ssh port because most people change it from the default 22. Asking for root password isn't such a bad thing. It means they don't keep it on file which adds more peace of mind, at least for me.

Not sure what you mean by changing the hostname on their end. Are you talking about the listed hostname in their client area? If so, is this really a justified complaint because what they have on file doesn't affect your VPS in any way. I have VPSes with providers and the client area lists an old domain which I used to sign up with which I don't use anymore.

Regarding SSH not working, what did they say when you asked them about it?
    I never got to install anything on the vps, so everything was set to defaults. They do keep it on file, at least from the originally sale, as I see it in my profile via the client area.

As for the hostname, they had the whole vps set to the vps.bravo.x-ind.com and I wanted bravo.x-ind.com and it wasn't changed. I had to do it manually.

When I told them about the ssh, I asked if the IP was a working IP, they said yes and that they could login. I guess they banned my IP?
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for sharing your experience on PhotonVPS, I think next time they will improve on their service and have more customers to buy their vps.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by computerwis View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience on PhotonVPS, I think next time they will improve on their service and have more customers to buy their vps.
    Its not necessarily their service which is bad. It is actually very good with their inexpensive pricing. But, the fact that their support knows nothing or can't grab details that are posted under my client info is very disappointing.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with us. If you could PM your ticket I'll be glad to look over it and offer you something to compensate for the time you lost.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)
      0 Not allowed!