Thread: Two hosting??

Two hosting??

Hi All,

Is there a way for one domain using two web hosting servers? I saw most domain service provide 4 different nameserver, but we usually use the first two.

I am having problem with my current one. I am not 100% sure it is their problem, but in some days, visitors drop almost to zero . I use their service almost 8 years, and it never happened since last couple of months.

Since my website don't use any SQL, only html, and photo. I am thinking it may be good to have additional servers as a backup AND for my European customers if I sign up a hosting service in the EU.

I knew there is a Co-location service, but it is quite expensive.

Any idea?

Regards
    An.

This can be achieved using some DNS redirection.

Multiple A records for the same hostname. Just remember to take the one that died off as soon as possible. Example, here's google.com's

google.com A 74.125.227.19 300s
    google.com A 74.125.227.20 300s
    google.com A 74.125.227.16 300s
    google.com A 74.125.227.17 300s
    google.com A 74.125.227.18 300s

This only works since your content is static and the same on each server.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    Multiple A records for the same hostname. Just remember to take the one that died off as soon as possible. Example, here's google.com's

google.com A 74.125.227.19 300s
    google.com A 74.125.227.20 300s
    google.com A 74.125.227.16 300s
    google.com A 74.125.227.17 300s
    google.com A 74.125.227.18 300s

This only works since your content is static and the same on each server.
    Hi tchen,

Can you explain a bit more... I am follow...

Hello An!
    I suppose that you need to learn server blasting.
    That is not cheap at all.
    In any case that would be nice to hear about your initial goals.

I think using subdomains for different parts of your sites is OK. Each as an addon domain, at different servers?
    UUHOST - Webhosting reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by antyky View Post
    Hi tchen,

So lets say you do get that second european server. You'd already have an A record for your current one. What you do is duplicate it and change only the IP. What happens when a user goes to your domain is that it'll pick from one of those two servers that match that record.

When one of those servers fail, you should get rid of the DNS entry as soon as possible. While most current browsers will try another A entry if the one it chooses fails, it's still a relatively poor user experience due to the timeouts. At the very least though, users will still be able to get through to one of your sites.

Quote Originally Posted by antyky View Post
    Hi tchen,

It's called round robin DNS.

The dns server has two (or more records) for www. and . (the domain without the WWW)then the name server provides IP A to user1 and IP B To user2 (and so on) this does have he advantage that the should the server timeout on a record your web browser (as already stated) should try and retrieve a working record, but this will introduce a delay or eventually fail

This isn't as clever as geo dispersed DNS and geo routing DNS but is a simple and effective solution (that can act like a poor mans load balancer)

joe
    www.JGwebhosting.co.uk - CPanel Control panel, domain registration, Reseller packages And 24X7 Technical support! - Now Taking in Hosting Refugee's

www.JGpcrepair.co.uk - Computer repair, New Systems, Software, Hardware

using DNS Round - Robin setup with DNS Failover, and configuring the ttl to around 300 seconds or 5 minutes, will be more relaxing for you, as if one server in the Round - Robin setup fails, the DNS failover occurs and within 5 minutes (if configured as above), the users get routed to other server.

This works most of the time, unless and otherwise, DNS Caches are too long like many hours or days (depends on different ISP's) of your audience.

you can configure the A Records right in the domain registrar account in DNS Records Management area, if not, and if you are after low ttl like 300 seconds, since many Domain Registrars do not allow that low ttl, you may try others like,

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com
    http://edgedirector.com
    http://www.dyndns.com/services/dynectsmb/
    http://www.dns.com/

etc......

You can use 1 site name servers at different locations.

but you can not use same domain working at 2 places, because its not simply possible.

Quote Originally Posted by no69_2007 View Post
    You can use 1 site name servers at different locations.

but you can not use same domain working at 2 places, because its not simply possible.
    Actually you can, especially with static content. DB backed stuff requires some extra precautions but its still doable.

It might be less expensive, and less trouble to simply switch hosts if the problem persists. As you say, it seems their record up until recently has been good. It may be worth asking them what the problem is and letting them know that it's no good because it's costing you business. It might be that your server is getting tired, and bringing the issue up might prompt them to move you to a newer server so that they retain your business.
    The squeaky wheel gets oiled first.

All the best with it.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    LiteSpeed Powered cPanel Web Hosting with R1Soft and Softaculous
    24/7 Support | Domain Included | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Find us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    Actually you can, especially with static content. DB backed stuff requires some extra precautions but its still doable.
    It is a difficult task, but agreed it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_HiHosting
    It might be less expensive, and less trouble to simply switch hosts if the problem persists. As you say, it seems their record up until recently has been good. It may be worth asking them what the problem is and letting them know that it's no good because it's costing you business. It might be that your server is getting tired, and bringing the issue up might prompt them to move you to a newer server so that they retain your business.
    Hopefully they can resolve your issue, but if that's not the case, I agree with Dan_HiHosting.

You can use amazon aws cloud servers, far more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by HostGuts View Post
    You can use amazon aws cloud servers, far more reliable.
    That's actually not a bad idea. I wouldn't call their instances reliable, but the with an Elastic IP and some monitoring (from RightScale) for instance, it can get you back up to speed quite quickly.