Is Linode worth the price?

I've been using Linode for awhile. If I was to rank what is important to me for a web server it'd go something like this:

1 - Uptime
    2 - Overall Server Specs (memory, cpu, storage, bandwidth, transfer)
    3 - One click vps adjustments (go from 8gb to 512mb)
    4 - One click deploy
    5 - One click backups
    6 - Customer Service

So I'm paying $79 a month for a 2gb server on Linode. Their dashboard is really nice, the ability to deploy a server with a few clicks is awesome. The ability to resize on the fly is mandatory for my system. Their automated backup system is top notch. Overall I'm a happy customer. I wouldn't go to a similarly priced competitor.

However

When I look at some of the cheaper competitors like Database By Design and Chicago VPS it appears like I can get at least twice if not up to four times the "server" stats that Linode offers for the same price.

That's a tall order.

If you consider the things I find important (listed above) do you think Linode is heads above these places? Is it worth 3x the price? Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy customer, but I don't like the feeling of paying more than I need to if there is equivalent offers for less money. I'm not interested in "going cheap" just as much as I'm not interested in "paying for someone's boat house"

Any advice would be appreciated.

What are the complete specs of the VPS you have with them?

4 processor Xen instance
    2048MB ram
    64GB storage
    800GB transfer

what I'm running
    ubuntu 64 (probably going to go to centos) tomcat/apache/mysql along with general stuff like ssh/ftp

I'm sure you can find what you currently have cheaper but, if you are already receiving awesome service, I would stick with Linode.

You can find cheaper but, the quality of service is what you should factor in.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAnswer View Post
    I'm sure you can find what you currently have cheaper but, if you are already receiving awesome service, I would stick with Linode.
    You beat me to it

Linode's control panel is bad ass. Have you had any issues with them? I'd say probably not, and that's something you need to keep in mind..
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Yup no problems to date, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't paying too much and it sounds like they're worth it so I'll stick with them. I appreciate the replies!

I suppose it boils down to the sort of stuff you're doing with the server. If its relatively trivial like hosting a personal blog, chat server etc then you'll likely get away with the cheaper hosts. If hosting paying clients then I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Linode.

However, the higher end Linode plans loses value exponentially, say above the $60 mark. I don't see the point of a 2GB Linode when you can get a Hetzner 8GB quad core I7 server for less.

Tuxlite.com Complete LAMP and LNMP script for Debian and Ubuntu.

If you like linode, sure, stay with them. Are you paying too much for what you're getting? Maybe, maybe not. You said the ability to scale up and down at a single click is a "must". If it's a must, it's a must, but as you said, if you can get 4x the specs for the same price, maybe scaling up and down all the time isn't a "must" after all, if just leaving the specs high all the time costs the same.

This is the rarely discussed drawback of the cloud -- everyone says you save money by scaling up and down as needed, but when the base price is so much higher, you're just making more work for yourself, scaling your servers up and down all the time, without really saving any money. You pay dearly for that added flexibility.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com