MaxCDN or VPS.NET

Hello,

Which is better and stable MaxCDN or VPS.NET?

Thanks.

I thought vps.net is using level 3?

I think VPS.net sell own and level3.

https://www.vps.net/cdn-signup

+1 on MaxCDN. Using Pull CDN with 70-100Gb transfer each day on static content.

Only problem i got was that MaxCDN range got blocked in a hosting companys system.
    Then any content pull got gateway connection error.
    Kinda made the website look bad without static, css and js files.

MaxCDN offers to list ips used for pull.
    Busy, busy, busy

Quote Originally Posted by endin View Post

I don't think it's their own, it's highwinds most probably.

That's correct, vps.net sells HighWinds and Level3.

Quote Originally Posted by endin View Post

Just to clarify, we do not own Level3. We resell their CDN services, along with Highwinds in certain scenarios.

I'd choose maxcdn, as they are focused solely on CDN and are not resellers.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Neosurge View Post
    I'd choose maxcdn, as they are focused solely on CDN and are not resellers.
    I don't know if that is really relevant. We have an entire support team, with its own set of managers solely focused on the VPS.NET CDN services. We have large clients who use just our CDN services, just like we have clients who use just our Clodu VPS product. So, don't think of us as Cloud VPS company with an addon CDN service; think of us a provider of both high end Cloud VPS products and CDN services.

IGobyTerry:
    Ive sent a request of info @vps.net CDN via the online form and Ive never been contacted ( this is the second time). First time Ive contacted Tom and Kody to aid me due to the long wait but reply also never came back. First time Id been answered poorly by some Ukranian person but asked some stuff which was not clear and never been replied .

Your wording does not match the level of support sales provide ( I would not like to think how support works )

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    IGobyTerry:
    Ive sent a request of info @vps.net CDN via the online form and Ive never been contacted ( this is the second time). First time Ive contacted Tom and Kody to aid me due to the long wait but reply also never came back. First time Id been answered poorly by some Ukranian person but asked some stuff which was not clear and never been replied .

Your wording does not match the level of support sales provide ( I would not like to think how support works )
    Kody and Tom haven't worked for VPS.NET in almost a year, as they both focus on making 100TB.com awesome. Both of our CDN & VPS sales queues all have tickets that are less than 10 minutes old, so I would encourage you to send in a new ticket at this time.

I opened an account with both as well as a few others.

MaxCDN has been the most reliable and cost effective.

Highwinds (vps.net) was terrible. I had numerous problems with reliability. I also did not find their interface to be very friendly.

VPS.net used Akamai but recently dropped them in favor of Level3 which I have not yet tested. My Akamai credits are in the process of being transferred.

But overall I like MaxCDN. I found their support strong, their interface is intuitive, and the service overall reliable.

I'm serving about 10GB a day of static CSS,JS, and images. MaxCDN also support gzip btw which imho is a must have feature for a CDN.

The only negative thing I can say about MaxCDN is that users at times report serving problems from edge servers in EU locations. It's sporadic and something I think you often deal with on lower priced CDNs. I have confidence that MaxCDN is evolving at a proper pace that eventually these edge server issues will be minimal.

I heard from a reliable source that Highwinds took a loan to pay down debt and has not expanded infrastructure. I cannot name my source directly but he's in the CDN industry.

That would not surprise me. Some of the problems with early entry into a market is the expense. Very quickly prices can drop and someone else can come along and offer a better service cheaper just 18 months later. I think that's the case with Highwinds. It's either you corner the market early or competition comes along and makes you irrelevant.

Configured VPS.net (L3) CDN for a customer.

Works fine so far

Though the VPS.net order site is not very clear.
    Not much info to go on
    Java, C, PHP, AJAX development from the Netherlands
    Also offering quality proactive server management
    Need a quote? E-mail daniel at dg-services.nl

Quote Originally Posted by smerz View Post
    Configured VPS.net (L3) CDN for a customer.

Works fine so far

Though the VPS.net order site is not very clear.
    Not much info to go on
    Ughhhhhh our site

The site in use now is the one we launched with. So many new services have been added, and old services have been improved upon that the site is just horrible. There's a new one coming out in March - it's going to be AWESOME. If it doesn't trend on Twitter with sweetness I'm going to consider my life to be a failure... but it's cool, and much clearer than the current site.

i still doesnt know what cdn is, is there anyway to have my own storage server and use cdn?

CDN is a Content Delivery Network...it's normally a way to serve static content. Examples would be movie files, banner ads, images, javascript, or css. The CDN market can be utilized very well. It's a type of Cloud hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by hansel View Post
    i still doesnt know what cdn is, is there anyway to have my own storage server and use cdn?
    Yes, that'd be HTTP Pull. Your content must be accessible via HTTP.

What are the average file size? HTTP Pull is more suitable for small files, maybe less than 10MB?

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng View Post
    Yes, that'd be HTTP Pull. Your content must be accessible via HTTP.

What are the average file size? HTTP Pull is more suitable for small files, maybe less than 10MB?
    around 100mb-400mb.

so lets say, if i have my own dedicated server which have about 1tb capacity, with having video stored in there could i use cdn to pull up a single file or multiple file from the server to benifit the speed?

or is it just better to get cdn and host all my files/websites there and upgrade storage capacity?

It really depends on your content. If your files are expected to be busy for few weeks and die down, then pull might be just fine.

If it's hardly accessed, then push may be a better idea because the first pull might be slow for the end user. It's going to be counter-productive that way.