Personal Budget Hosting Reccomendation

Hello,

I am looking to create a personal website that is similar to a blog, but more of a professional research journal. I am a student, so I am very poor. A free hosting solution would not be good for me because I want my own domain name, a "[email protected]" email, NO adverts, and the ability to be in complete control of my website. I was looking at fatcow because they have a promotion for 3.67/mo, but I am afraid after my year contract is over that the price will go to $7+ per month. Could someone recommend a hosting solution to me?

Thanks

Have you contacted fatcow about your concerns with the pricing?
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

What is your budget? Are you looking to pay on an annual term? What are your requirements in terms of space and bandwidth? Do you have any location preference?

The cheaper the better, I wouldn't want to go over $50 per year including domain registration. I don't need any fancy marketing tools, and I don't need a lot of space, 5GB I think is more than enough. Location doesn't matter to me so long as the pages don't load like I'm on 56k. I live in SoCal if that matters.

Edit: I would prefer to pay once per year, paying for two+ years at a time is too much money at once.
    Last edited by Nickatron; 02-27-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickatron View Post
    The cheaper the better, I wouldn't want to go over $50 per year including domain registration. I don't need any fancy marketing tools, and I don't need a lot of space, 5GB I think is more than enough. Location doesn't matter to me so long as the pages don't load like I'm on 56k. I live in SoCal if that matters.
    You should be able to find something within your budget, your resources don't seem like too much.

Hello,
    In general, you should get better pricing (without having to pay yearly) if you opt to purchase your domain seperately. You can get domains for roughly $10.00 per year. Hosting for a personal website can run between $2-$4 per month.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

1 and 1 sells domain for $4.99 / year. I think this is a limited offer, you may go check it out.

URL: 1and1.com

I have heard 1&1 is bad.

I would recommend looking through the offers section located at the following link:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

You'll find better offers and providers in that section. Once you find a host that looks good, search their reviews on here.

go to offers section or I can suggest hostgator.

Hello,

I am looking to create a personal website that is similar to a blog, but more of a professional research journal. I am a student, so I am very poor. A free hosting solution would not be good for me because I want my own domain name, a "[email protected]" email, NO adverts, and the ability to be in complete control of my website. I was looking at fatcow because they have a promotion for 3.67/mo, but I am afraid after my year contract is over that the price will go to $7+ per month. Could someone recommend a hosting solution to me?

Thanks
    From what I hear, Fat-cow is not all that great. Personally, I would stay away from the companies claiming to offer unlimited disks-pace/bandwidth (especially if they are trying to lure you in with yearly contracts).

With that being said, depending on how much Diskspace/Bandwidth you need, you should have no problems finding a solid web host within the $3-4 per month price ranger. Are there any other web hosts you have come across that you are interested in moving forward with?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

I designed a small website for a young actor. His website is on wirenine.com
    Seems stable enough.

Agree with others that you should have your domain name separate from your hosting.

Edit: I would prefer to pay once per year, paying for two+ years at a time is too much money at once.
    Are you going to be using static HTML pages or a CMS like Wordpress? The reason I ask is that for a small site, you definitely don't need 5GB of space. I have several customers hosting Wordpress sites on 100MB of space very inexpensively, and several under your budget with busier sites using less than 200MB of space.

If you're planning on using 5GB for images for a portfolio, etc., you'll need to find a host offering that on a tight budget, and it might be on an overcrowded server. But if your needs are really lighter than that, you should be able to find a host that will work with your budget for using less resources.