Lost soul seeks help building web site

I am totally new at website building. I signed up at hostgator.com. I got a sightbuilder account too. I managed to create a small page for practice using the sightbuilder. Now I have many questions.

First of all, how do I properly delete a page? I assume I delete a file in the file manager in the public_html folder. But how do I know which file? There are a ton of file in file manager. Or better yet, how do I know which files are for what and which files are never to be deleted.

I'll wait to see how this thread goes before I ask a bunch more questions.

Thanks.

Hello,

First thing that you need to learn is to always make backups before doing anything either with files or database.

Yes, you can use the internal file manager to delete/edit, but again "compress" and save the compressed files to your desktop.

What I like to do and I am sure many do as well, is get that backup and make a copy of it and then extract that backup on your desktop call the folder "mysite" or something like that. Use that on your desktop to make your edits and such. Then upload what you did. If you messed up then no worries cause you have the backups or the back key on your editor.

I think the sitbuilder you are using is strictly html and do correct me if I am wrong.

The homepage or first page that you go to when you enter your domain/url is typically called the index. In file manager or that external ftp program you will edit the index.html. Usually other pages will be shown in the URL or names you create.

as in : simplehosting.html ect...

Another tip when unsure is to use your mouse, right click on your live site and select source. This will show you the raw code of that page. You can then match it to what you have. The url though will usually be named for that page as I mentioned.

The source will also tell you what pertinent information that page is using as in the image locations, javascripts and/or css files.

good luck
    Erick T.

First of all I love the title to this thread...lol

OK the file structure of your site is quite simple really, All files that are inside the the public_html directory are web accessible meaning that they are the files that work and display your website, changing or deleting these will effect how your website looks and works on the internet.
    (Any files or folders kept under this directory are accessible from the internet).

files can be distinguished by their extension eg. .html .php .zip .jpg.

if you put a .html file under the public_html folder it will be parsed and displayed by the browser, if you put a .jpg image in it will be displayed by the browser, if you put a .zip file in the browser will normally prompt you to download it.

Also there is a folder called 'WWW' this folder is identical to the public_html folder and edits made in either effect both. This folder is a mirror/alias for the public_html folder and they both point to the same location. You only need to make edits in one, the public_html folder is fine.

Other files and folders above the public_html folder are normally function, storage or security files for things like logs, temorary files, cgi, ftp, email and config files. These files are here so they cannot be accessed from the web side and are normally critical to the function of your host, it would good practice NOT to delete or edit anything under the public_html folder.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Driver01; 02-27-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    I H4t3 l33T, l33T i5 4 l053r5!
    ██
    ███
    ████ Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Thats some good helpful info. Thanks guys.
    I have figured out the backup proceedure now. That is something that should be stressed as soon as you get a web host...LEARN THE BACKUP. Its so easy and it takes away all worry.
    But I have a question...I backed up my home and then I deleted all my "page" files and "index" files. Then I went to my webpage on line. It was still there. Why didn't it disappear?
    And yes, I then reloaded my home directory.

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    Thats some good helpful info. Thanks guys.
    I have figured out the backup proceedure now. That is something that should be stressed as soon as you get a web host...LEARN THE BACKUP. Its so easy and it takes away all worry.
    But I have a question...I backed up my home and then I deleted all my "page" files and "index" files. Then I went to my webpage on line. It was still there. Why didn't it disappear?
    And yes, I then reloaded my home directory.
    cached by the browser maybe?
    ██
    ███
    ████ Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

I think I needed to delete the menu file. Anyway, I got it back to pre-webpage-creation state.

Question...Is Wordpress a general purpose webpage creation tool? I keep reading that Wordpress is the tool to use but it is always mentioned in the same sentence as "blog" as if it is just for blog creation.

WP has become very flexible and with the right knowledge it can be made into anything you want, but its original purpose was as a blog creation tool.
    ██
    ███

I had a problem that when I created a page and then hit "publish" I was getting an "authentication failed" error. I found that even though it asks for the host name OR number, just using the name did not work. I had to use the number.

I also found out what files are created when I create a page. I created my site, specifying 4 items for my site structure. I guess that means I plan on 4 different pages being created. So after I published the page I create I went to file manager and found that I had caused the creation of index.php, menu.xml, page1.php, page2.php, page7.php, page8.php. I have not figured out why the pages are numbered as such.
    Can someone tell me what index.php and menu.xml are?

index.php is your main page. If someone types your domain on their address bar, it will go to index.php as default. Page numbering is not a problem as long as the links aren't broken. You can always rename them to anything if you learn to modify the source code. And I guess from menu.xml file you can set your menu color, button color, text color, menu width etc.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

My opinion of templates (at least the ones that come with hostgator) is that they stink. They all look the same to me. But then again I am so totally inept at web building that I am not sure what can be done with them.

Question...I made a page with sightbuilder. Now, if I figure out how to download better templates, and if I figure out how to add content to them on my computer, can I then simply replace my current webpages with the new one buy copy and pasteing the new code in place of the old code?

Sorry for all the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    My opinion of templates (at least the ones that come with hostgator) is that they stink. They all look the same to me. But then again I am so totally inept at web building that I am not sure what can be done with them.

Question...I made a page with sightbuilder. Now, if I figure out how to download better templates, and if I figure out how to add content to them on my computer, can I then simply replace my current webpages with the new one buy copy and pasteing the new code in place of the old code?

Sorry for all the questions.
    Yes copy and paste or just simply replace the files by uploading the new ones normally if you upload a new index file by say ftp it will prompt to see if you want to overwrite the old one, a basic website will have something like this:

index.html -> Main homepage file
    contact.html -> Contact info page
    aboutus.html -> an about us page
    etc..

the names of the files do not matter in the slightest...for example your contact page could be called sendmeamessage.html if you wanted its the code within them that matters...
    ██
    ███

I've hosted sites with hostgator and have found their tech support people to be great. Although they may tell you they do not offer html help usually they will go above and beyond and help you anyway.
    Personally I find templates more difficult to work with than simply writing the html in notepad.
    Good luck