Hybrid View

VPS with 8 CPUs - 1 at 100%

Hi - i have a new VPS, and every so often the load climbs and the system becomes very sluggish. I have noticed though, that 1 CPU is almost always at 100%

Cpu(s): 0.0%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni,100.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

Q1 : Is this normal? My memory usage is under 50%, and the system only has 3 websites on the VPS (with Cpanel/WHM).

It appears to be when md5sum is running that I notice it grinding to a halt (at least so far thats the common process i see when its affected, but not when its fine). (Q2) - should md5sum do this, or is there any tweaking abilities that I can do?

That '100.0%id' actually means '100% idle', it doesn't correspond to a particular CPU core. You might want to ask your host how much CPU your VS has available to use, then watch the md5sum process and see where things stand. It sounds a little abnormal for a VPS to become nearly unresponsive when that's the only thing running.

ohh.. I thought those were the 8 CPUs heh...

I disabled the md5sum so it only runs once a day, and it didn't help anyway - still excessive slowdowns when its not running. Just becomes very slow and lagging. I've submitted a ticket to my host so we'll see.

2. These slowdowns may indicate I/O or CPU problems - if you take a look at the CPU usage during one, you may see (not a definitive list):
    • high %wa - slow or contested hard drive
    • high %us - crowded or heavily limited CPU
    • high %(something else) - something is odd

I'll try to get those specs next time its really slow.. If I remember right, I think i saw approx 30% wa, 100%id, the rest all 0%... but I'll confirm the next time it happens.. (when it happens, its even very slow logging into ssh)

All cpu in the world wont make a difference if your on single drives, slow drives, or bad arrays. Most people still dont realize your servers only as strong as its weakest link. That always has been and still remains today to be harddrives.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com