* VPS Recommendations?

Hi, I'm just looking for a very nice VPS host.

Main purpose: Just to play around. I'm a newbie/starter so this is going to be my first VPS/hosting account. Although I would really prefer a VPS that has good reviews, 99.8%+ uptime, decent to excellent support, stable, has been in the hosting business for at least 3 years, California datacenter and cheap (<$20).

I've also been researching here and there. Some sites that I consider:
    1. Linode
    2. BurstNet
    3. FDCServers

It would be nice if I could add cPanel or Plesk for a very cheap price. Any other recommendations? I considered Dreamhost, but it seems that they randomly suspend accounts.
    Last edited by Estra; 02-26-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Hi and welcome to WHT!

Check out CityNetHost.

Wow your prices are very impressive! Although... datacenter is all the way in Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Estra View Post
    Wow your prices are very impressive! Although... datacenter is all the way in Egypt.
    Did you just edit your post to add California datacenter as a requirement? I didn't see that as a requirement when I first saw your post. Just checking...

Yeah I edited it. They're not really requirements, just preferred options. =P With CityNetHost's unbelievable prices, I might even get a server there. But I'd wait for other posters for their opinions.

Ok. Well I had a VPS with CityNetHost a few months ago and it seemed quite fast. Network connectivity went off in Egypt a while ago though, due to whats going on over there at the moment. But the CityNetHost site is backup now, so I guess its all been sorted.

Also consider IntoVPS. They're the best unmanaged VPS provider I've tried so far.

under $20 + cpanel and reliable, you can try cleverkite

try quickweb but with the budget dunno if you can get the cpanel at now
    indonesia store Indonesia Clove Store
    indonesian coffee

I will suggest you Semoweb for that reason.
    FLIPPER HOST Budget VPS, Resellers & Shared Linux Hosting
    cPanel/WHM, Solus VM, RV Site Builder Pro, Fantastico & Softaculous
    24x7 Heroic Ticketing and Live Chat
    Flipper Host is an Invest Lion Company

There's not much wrong with the providers already been mentioned, but you could also take a look at some of the offers in the VPS Hosting Offers under the Advertising Forum.

Thanks for the recommendations! Although right now, I'm also considering quickweb, directspace.net, and cleverkite. Can someone also give me a list (or the best ones that you know) that offer Softlayer?

Funny, your top two are exactly my VPS hosts.

I use BurstNet as a sandbox area (to play with, run scripts, etc). I have two Linode servers for production. Linode is the best VPS host I've ever been with and I've been with over 20. I highly recommend them.

I'm adding shineshost and ecloudhost to the list. God I can't choose. If only Cleverkite offers Softlayer, my mind's set! But then, I still need a list of ones that offer Softlayer.

Thanks for the recommendations! Although right now, I'm also considering quickweb, directspace.net, and cleverkite. Can someone also give me a list (or the best ones that you know) that offer Softlayer?
    I have an inexpensive VPS with DirectSpace.net and there has been some downtime (I'm using it for a clustered DNS and backup solution, so the downtime doesn't bother me too much). This is from my Panopta monitoring service for the week 2/21 - 2/27:

Method / # Outages / Time Down / ms / % Uptime
    Ping 8 01:47:52 76.35 98.93%
    That's the most downtime in any week in the 5 or 6 weeks I've been on that server. Ticket response time on the outage that comprised most of that time down was just over an hour.

They are not the cheapest or offer you the biggest packages but they offer very solid service if that's what you want, Linode, Quickweb and 6Sync.

Why does the data center need to be in California? Why does it matter where it is as long as its reliable?

Faster access to where I am sir. It's just preference though. I might also pick one that's not in CA as long as I find the right host.

Quote Originally Posted by Newwebsite.com View Post
    Why does the data center need to be in California? Why does it matter where it is as long as its reliable?
    Not saying this is the OP's reason, but it absolutely matters if your visitors are from Asia. If you have the option to choose a west coast provider, you should.

I was just curious. We have customers all over the world including Asia who have absolutely no trouble connecting to their VPS's in the data center in VA that we use. It was just my opinion that you should look for a good company and data center over where it is located. I do not think it matters as much as people think it does. But I do not have any real evidence to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    Not saying this is the OP's reason, but it absolutely matters if your visitors are from Asia. If you have the option to choose a west coast provider, you should.
    This. I'm planning to develop anime-related websites so the target audience next to N.America would be Asia. ^_^

This. I'm planning to develop anime-related websites so the target audience next to N.America would be Asia. ^_^
    Where is your target audience? USA or Asia?

UK/Europe is closer to Asia.

My first priority is somewhere close to me because I'll be the one accessing it a lot. And it'll be USA, then Asia, then the rest.

My first priority is somewhere close to me because I'll be the one accessing it a lot. And it'll be USA, then Asia, then the rest.
    So you could choose East Coast or West Coast USA.

For me, it would be a toss up between East Coast USA, UK or Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    So you could choose East Coast or West Coast USA.

For me, it would be a toss up between East Coast USA, UK or Europe.
    Well if Asia is second priority after USA, then the west coast would make much more sense than east.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Well if Asia is second priority after USA, then the west coast would make much more sense than east.
    True.

For Asia South Korea is recommended.