Netxons - Not Recommended

I needed an Asian based VPS for some testing and monitoring we were doing, so we went with a Netxons VPS for $50 off of a WHT special. First off, the pricing was very good in my opinion, $50 a month for a VPS in Hong Kong with 1GB of RAM, 40GB of disk space, and 10 Mbit/sec of bandwidth.

The server was initially deployed in about 15 hours on December 24, which isn't terrible at all, but with only 512MB of RAM, even though the order confirmation I got clearly shows 1GB. They corrected this issue without any trouble/hesitation in about 10 hours.

Over our time with the system, the system itself was stable and reliable, hardware-wise we did not seem to have any problems at all. We were however having issues getting consistant connections/monitoring back to multiple other servers, making it useless for monitoring. To me this seemed like a congestion issue causing intermittent packet loss, though I can't say for certain where in the path this was happening, when we'd try to diagnose it the issue seemed to go away, but it was happening to multiple destinations. it really wasn't worth diagnosing so we just issued a cancelation through there web site on the 19th of January and immediately received a cancelation confirmation.

Now, we though we were done, but that wasn't the case. The confirmation email specifically said, "This email is to confirm that we have received your cancellation request for the service listed below. [Service Listed] If you requested immediate cancellation then the service will be terminated within the next 24 hours. If however you chose end of billing cycle, it will not be cancelled until 24/01/2011." So we assumed we were done with it, everything was set. Now, the PayPal subscription was still active, I don't use many and had entirely forgotten that is what I used to pay. The cancelation email said nothing about needing to cancel a PayPal subscription, no reminder of any kind or and other conditions of cancelation. Then on February 24th I received a notice of Payment being applied again.

About 24 hours after getting that notice, I saw it/processed it and looked into it, since I thought I had canceled. I had found the confirmation and contacted them back asking why I was still being billed. They informed me quickly, in 3 hours, that the PayPal subscription was still active. I then canceled the subscription and asked for a refund, as I had accidentally paid for a canceled service. They proceeded to inform me that they do not issue refunds. After a couple emails back and forth they said, "We do suspend your VPS once we received your cancellation. But we still receiving your payment, So our support dept was resume the VPS as normal once we received the payment." Now, my question is, if they resumed my service why didn't they tell me? The only communication I had was the cancelation confirmation, then a payment confirmation.

Personally, I have absolutely no issue if that is their policy, but they should at least communicate that policy to their customers. To me, $50 isn't really a problem, but to refuse a refund on an accidental payment for a service that is confirmed to be canceled just doesn't seem right. Had I been told in the cancelation confirmation that I needed to cancel the subscription to finalize the cancelation process, I would have done that, that would have been my responsibility. If when they saw the subscription wasn't canceled and contacted me to ask if I wanted to resume service or just forgot to cancel the subscription that would have been great as well instead of just making an assumption and turning it back on.

Now, I'm not saying I don't think Netxons is all bad or that they may not work great for some people. I just did not have a good overall experience and could not recommend them to anyone.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

It saddens when a client finds himself taken advantage of (or not given the service he deserves).

I hope Netxons will soon be here to explain their side of the story. I understand that you signed up with them following their ads here on WHT.

An experience to learn from, though.
    IhsanHost - We believe in "everyone deserves "yourdomain.com"
    The Most Affordable Shared Web Hosting, Yet Professional & Reliable.
    Pay for your domain and we will take care of the rest for you.
    Click here to check out our affordable web hosting solutions.

They had nothing to do with your subscription - cancelling it is only your responsability and another paiment solely your mistake but all rest what followed could be dealed better from their side. I don't see a reason why they shouldn't refund you - by my experiences most serious hosts would do it without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    They had nothing to do with your subscription
    I think their billing system automated the PayPal subscription. Is that correct? If yes, who fault is it then?
    IhsanHost - We believe in "everyone deserves "yourdomain.com"
    The Most Affordable Shared Web Hosting, Yet Professional & Reliable.
    Pay for your domain and we will take care of the rest for you.
    Click here to check out our affordable web hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by GSalam View Post
    I think their billing system automated the PayPal subscription. Is that correct? If yes, who fault is it then?
    You obviously don't know what PayPal subscription is and you're incorrect. With PayPal subscription you authorize YOUR OWN paypal account to send defined amount of money to sellers account periodically. As long you don't LOG INTO YOUR OWN PAYPAL ACCOUNT to cancel this agreement, subscription isn't cancelled. That's your responsability.
    But of course, as I said, decent host would refund such payment by mistake. In my case one of my host did that even before I realized double payment (manual + subscription).
    Last edited by Spirit; 02-25-2011 at 11:43 PM.

The PayPal subscription should not have been a complaint. It is how PayPal subscriptions work and by default, WHMCS does not have a special cancellation email response that reminds an individual to cancel the subscription. It is assumed the client understands what is going on.

This particular situation pops up a lot on WHT, where clients do not cancel the subscription and think the host is scamming them by "charging" them again. The community has always sided with the provider as PP subscriptions are the clients' responsibility. I'm actually surprised to hear it, especially from rather large provider, for him to find this new.

What I do not find OK is Netxons refusing a refund since it is an accidental payment. Reviewing their terms of service, nothing is mentioned about this situation - payment after cancellation and I do agree they should have communicated better, and better yet, agreed to a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    This particular situation pops up a lot on WHT, where clients do not cancel the subscription and think the host is scamming them by "charging" them again. The community has always sided with the provider as PP subscriptions are the clients' responsibility. I'm actually surprised to hear it, especially from rather large provider, for him to find this new.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    The PayPal subscription should not have been a complaint. It is how PayPal subscriptions work and by default, WHMCS does not have a special cancellation email response that reminds an individual to cancel the subscription. It is assumed the client understands what is going on.

What I do not find OK is Netxons refusing a refund since it is an accidental payment. Reviewing their terms of service, nothing is mentioned about this situation - payment after cancellation and I do agree they should have communicated better, and better yet, agreed to a refund.
    I specifically noted that the failure to unsubscribe was my fault, that I had forgotten that was the payment method. When PayPal is used for six digits worth of transactions a month, with only 2-3 being PayPal subscriptions I normally don't even think of PayPal subscriptions as a payment method. In this case, the subscription is the only way they'd allow me to pay via PayPal. I even specified, "I have absolutely no issue if that is their policy, but they should at least communicate that policy to their customers."

My issue is solely with communication, not the policy/payment in the first place. They were informed promptly of the mistaken payment, and I admitted that was my mistake, that was never in dispute. That was my mistake, but the email from them specifically stated the service was being canceled, no conditions of it being dependent on the PayPal subscription being canceled. Thus yes, they got my payment, my mistake, but then as you said why shouldn't that be refunded?

You can't make WHMCS tell you simply, "If paying via PayPal subscription please cancel the subscription or service will be resumed."? I would think the cancelation notice would be customizable, if it isn't, that is a major issue with WHMCS.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    You can't make WHMCS tell you simply, "If paying via PayPal subscription please cancel the subscription or service will be resumed."? I would think the cancelation notice would be customizable, if it isn't, that is a major issue with WHMCS.
    Cancelation email is very much customizable from WHMCS (Setup -> Email Templates).
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    As Softsys said, it is customizable and felt your suggestion was excellent and modified ours to include a line "If you were paying for this service via PayPal subscription, please remember to cancel your subscription, we have no way of doing so." to avoid this very issue, at least give the client the info they need, can't always force them to drink the water.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Recently it was posted a similar situation involving YardVPS. IMO there is no excuse to a provider retain money sent by mistake. Allegations based on ToS "no refund" are absurd and enough reason to blacklist the provider forever.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

for this kind of VPS and price google can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Recently it was posted a similar situation involving YardVPS. IMO there is no excuse to a provider retain money sent by mistake. Allegations based on ToS "no refund" are absurd and enough reason to blacklist the provider forever.
    Actually the customer opened a dispute which is why it wasn't refunded. As long as he closed the dispute we'll be willing to refund it.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonVPS-Jim View Post
    Actually the customer opened a dispute which is why it wasn't refunded. As long as he closed the dispute we'll be willing to refund it.
    That OP opened the dispute exactly because you refused to refund him, confirmed by your own post:

You had an active Paypal subscription which automatically sends these funds. We have no control over these subscriptions and this needs to be cancelled by the user though Paypal's system.

You disputed this charge after we've tried working with you, once the dispute is closed we'll gladly return these funds enough though our TOS/AUP states we do not offer refunds.

You disputed this charge after we've tried working with you, once the dispute is closed we'll gladly return these funds enough though our TOS/AUP states we do not offer refunds.
    You must have mis-read this line...
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes

You must have mis-read this line...
    You must have mis-read this thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    You must have mis-read this thread ...
    Didn't read it at all, just replying to your comment about YardVPS