hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : How many users could a dedicated server hold on?

Forum Jump

How many users could a dedicated server hold on?

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

How many users could a dedicated server hold on?

Hello guys. I've been around for a while, not much questions really so far, and I'm starting a local hosting service on dedicated boxes.

I would host boxes with possible next specs:

Dual Xeons 2.4 or more (2 Cores or more)
(or Opteron 3-6 cores)
8GB Ram or more
Raid 2x 7.2k HDs

Starting on a simetric 10mbs line, higher later.

Software running on:

CentOS 5
WHMCS
cPanel

Please, a would like suggestions, or statistics from those that run hosting services, and opinions.

I would like to know which specs are recommended and that will allow run clients without overselling.
Which are real numbers, how many users will I be able to provide service?

We are always talking about provide services to low-end users, for final users (shared hosting).

Thank you so much guys.

Sponsored Links
Old
Vroom

I think your hard drives will be a bottleneck.

Isomerous - High performance web services for business and individuals.
Bitcable Colocation, KVMs, cPanel hosting, Oracle expertise, and more.

Old

What could you recommend me please?

And how many users I could really provide hosting services per server?

Sponsored Links
Old

Someone could help me please?

Thank you

Old
Web Hosting Master

If they are small, low traffic sites, then you will be able to host hundreds. If the sites are really low traffic static page sites, you may even be able to put thousands on it. Personally, I would assume it could handle hundreds rather than thousands just to be safe. I've seen guys pack thousands onto old P4 systems with 2GB RAM and have it work reasonably well, but I definitely would not recommend doing that.

You will most likely run out of disk IO first. I would suggest using a nice hardware RAID controller with at least four 15k RPM SAS drives in RAID10. That will give you a lot more IO to work with. If you can afford more than four drives, definitely go for it. Each SAS drive is worth about 200 IOPS. Each SATA drive is only worth about 100 IOPS.

Old

Thanks for the disk IO information, does anyone else has information about statistics?

Thank you

Old
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSupportLinuxHostin View Post
If they are small, low traffic sites, then you will be able to host hundreds. If the sites are really low traffic static page sites, you may even be able to put thousands on it. Personally, I would assume it could handle hundreds rather than thousands just to be safe. I've seen guys pack thousands onto old P4 systems with 2GB RAM and have it work reasonably well, but I definitely would not recommend doing that.

I agree complety, it isnt how many domains your server can hold, its the amount of trafic you expect. as apache and mysql are limited in number of connections at one time. Some scripts require more server resources, and others are just html with little php, others are complety php and heavy mysql.

Old

Well most of the sites that I'm actually hosting are plain html+css+images or html with small php features, low mysql traffic.

Old
Premium Member

You should be able to host all of your websites very easy with the server build you listed, you wouldnt need that much ram if its a basic web server. 2-4GB of ram should be fine.

Old

With your setup, you could put 700+ accounts on with upgraded HDD and RAID config.

Old
Junior Guru

0.1 to 1000.

There really isn't an answer that anyone can give you. It will totally depend on the size and type of sites on the server.

It will depend on how much disk space, bandwidth, memory, CPU the sites use.

█ www.AvenueHost.com Quality Shared, Reseller and VPS hosting.

Old
WHT Addict

It all depends on what your clients want - each customer is different.

Are you selling a set range of packages or are your customers free to choose the spec that they would like? IF you're doing the first thing, then the way I would work it out is see how many of the highest spec packages would fit onto the dedicated server. Doing this won't give you an accurate figure in the long run because not every one of your customers will need or want to buy your premium rate package, however doing this will allow you to get a good idea of the accounts you can fit onto one server.

Dean.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

It can never be predicted before you get into it. You have to continuously analyze the load, which will tell you the exact story.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

best thing to do is pin the server and get new server from ebay, they pretty cheap.

Old
WHT Addict

It depends on what type of plans you will be offering, the intention of your customers and their upload rate depends on your hosting packages, either you could prepare hosting packages for your dedicated server otherwise you should build a dedicated server depending on how many customers you will expect.