Unhappy How to assign a Dedicated IP on VMWare

Hello,

I have a Windows 2008 Server, and VMWare Workstation 7.1 installed, I want to assign an external IP address to it that my datacentre has given to me.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I've tried myself and can't seem to get it to work.

Assuming you're not trying something silly like assigning your W2k8 server's ip address to the guest OS, use the bridging network option when creating the guest network. After that, static ip assignment should work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    Assuming you're not trying something silly like assigning your W2k8 server's ip address to the guest OS, use the bridging network option when creating the guest network. After that, static ip assignment should work just fine.
    Hi,

I set the Virtual Machine's VMWare Network Settings to "Bridged: Connected directly to the physical network" and in the Virtual Machine I set the Dedicated IP in the Network Adapter, but it did not work?

Do I need to create an adapter on the host machine?

Yes, there should be an adapter on the host. I kinda assumed that if you were connecting to it remotely at the datacenter.

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    Yes, there should be an adapter on the host. I kinda assumed that if you were connecting to it remotely at the datacenter.
    Theres one main adapter, none of the extra IP's I've got are assigned/setup on the host so I'm kinda lost, I did manage to add one by going into IPv4 Config on my main adapter, going to Advanced and Adding the IP, but then it said there was a "Conflict" on the Virtual Machine and the Internet still wouldnt work

Just trying to clear it up (hopefully)

The host should have one physical adapter with its own primary IP#1.
    The guest should be setup with bridging
    The guest should disable DHCP
    The guest should set gateway, etc to the same as the host, with the only exception being IP#2.

At least that's what the docs say. I haven't tried forcing it inside the guest myself as I just use DHCP with static assignment to do mine.

However you should be able to see at least one VMnet# adapter on your host as well if you've installed it right. That's what it'll use to route the guest back into the physical adapter.