* Outsourcing support: Philippines vs India, which one is better?

Those who have had experience using outsource support workers from both countries, please share your stories.

Have you had better luck with teams from Philippines or India?
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!
      0 Not allowed!

With my experience in oursourcing quite a few to India and 1 from the Philippines, I would say that I had very little luck in obtaining an honest coder from India myself. However, I would focus more on the individual or company you intend to hire based on their background and experience. India has strong roots in outsourcing experience and the Philippines have emerged as a great contender in outsourcing.
      0 Not allowed!

We have an office with actual employees (not via an outsourcing firm) in the Philippines. It's worked out very well. In terms of language and cultural issues, Filipinos and Americans are very close culturally for historical reasons (going back to World War II when they fought side-by-side against the Japanese).

We also looked at India and I've been there many times. There are indeed more cultural differences, but you can find competent people in both places.
      0 Not allowed!

How about Cambodia?
      0 Not allowed!

I always recommend that you should allways have your support in house but if that is not an option right now and you asked to choose between the two I would say that it does not matter.

Once the company can provide 24 x 7 support and can respond to tickets within 30 mins of receipt with a high level of professionalism and has extensive knowledge in the field then I would say to go with that company or short list them if there are more than one.

The next step is to choose one company by the other bonus features you get eg regular updates by email, phone or fax. Etc

To me, it does not really matter about the location but the quality of service delivered.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ameeriklane View Post
    (going back to World War II when they fought side-by-side against the Japanese).
    it's only about 6 years relationship tho,
    they aren't "simillar" enough.

india and pinoys have good infrastructure of internet,
    but, looks like indian government is moving backward right now due they're more greedy about taxes. (look at : paypal, plimus cases)

but every individuals is different even they came from the same country.
    please cmiiw always
      0 Not allowed!

I would go with Philippines. Specially if you are going to outsource telephone based support.

Filipino accent is more understandable than an Indian one.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteTech View Post
    I would go with Philippines. Specially if you are going to outsource telephone based support.

Filipino accent is more understandable than an Indian one.
    Agreed! I have two bank accounts and they both partially outsource, one has agents in what I believe to be Manila and the other somewhere in India. I have a much, much easier time understanding the agents in Manila than I do in India. :]
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Agreed! I have two bank accounts and they both partially outsource, one has agents in what I believe to be Manila and the other somewhere in India. I have a much, much easier time understanding the agents in Manila than I do in India. :]
    It doesn't just end with the accent.

Most Indians (who answer the calls) cannot speak English fluently, ofcourse there are a few exceptions here and there. You can ignore the accent criteria if one can speak English without trouble, but that isn't available either.

Accent + fluency = Poor understanding
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by universal2001 View Post
    Those who have had experience using outsource support workers from both countries, please share your stories.

Interesting, I've never heard of anyone outsourcing to the Philippines. I did not know that was an option nowadays. Is there a reason in particular why you are looking to outsource your support? Personally, I would avoid doing it at all costs (especially if your company is based in the USA).
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here
      0 Not allowed!

Indians are the world's best techs.
    If you take a look at the USA itself you can find that a large percentage of experts are Indians.
    But when it comes to the English language Asian countries are a bit below the international standard.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by indiagirl View Post
    If you take a look at the USA itself you can find that a large percentage of experts are Indians.
    But when it comes to the English language Asian countries are a bit below the international standard.
    Should I call that patriotic or stereotyping?
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates
      0 Not allowed!

Go ahead, toot your own horn girl!
      0 Not allowed!

Should I call that patriotic or stereotyping?
    Well, it's neither of the two. Had it been patriotism, my words won't have ended in 3 lines!

There is nothing sort of stereotyping either. I based my conclusion on the basis of live international surveys! The sun needs no flattery!

We have such sign boards with survey results hung outside our IT parks! That's how I made note of this fact. We have many international companies open their direct branches in our IT parks. What we normally see is the foreign countries throw off most of their own staff in their own country and they get almost entirely replaced by Indian staff!
      0 Not allowed!

Well, it's neither of the two. Had it been patriotism, my words won't have ended in 3 lines!

There is nothing sort of stereotyping either. I based my conclusion on the basis of live international surveys! The sun needs no flattery!

We have such sign boards with survey results hung outside our IT parks! That's how I made note of this fact. We have many international companies open their direct branches in our IT parks. What we normally see is the foreign countries throw off most of their own staff in their own country and they get almost entirely replaced by Indian staff!
    International surveys? Where? Evidence?

I can conduct my own "survey" by international people made up by me and print it out for the whole world to see. The results of my survey is I'm the best man in the world, voted by people from 60 different countries!

Many international companies have branches in India and make their own staffs redundant for obvious cost reasons.

I'm not saying Indians are bad, but your patriotism/stereotyping/bias-ness is probably affecting your fair judgement. I wouldn't say Singaporeans or any country's citizens are the best. It's generally based on personal preference and opinion. There isn't a "best" to begin with, only the most suitable for your requirements.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates
      0 Not allowed!

Indians are no "experts" in most fields. No qualitative skill, just large in numbers.

Take any American or European staff from a company and compare him to their Indian counterpart, you'll see the difference. However, at the end of the day you'll see that the Indian staff offsets his poor skills with his poor low pay salary, which for most businesses is the deciding factor (you are outsourcing, mind you).

- fellow Indian.
      0 Not allowed!

English is the second language of Filipinos and first to some southern part of the Philippines.
    If you get a reputable call center in the Philippines, you will surely get a real talented agents.
    American accent and cultural training on these centers are seriously difficult. If they hire 30 agents for a certain project usually half of it or more will not proceed with the product training.

One of the call center HR manager was interviewed before and she said that out of 100 applicants only 5% survive the first 2 weeks training which is the American accent and cultural training.

By the way, Filipino rates is a lot higher than Indians especially if you require experienced tech. Not sure if I can post here the names of the biggest company there in the US with their own building and facilities here.
    Last edited by Yujin; 03-02-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.
      0 Not allowed!

Well
    Indians are no "experts" in most fields. No qualitative skill, just large in numbers.

Take any American or European staff from a company and compare him to their Indian counterpart, you'll see the difference. However, at the end of the day you'll see that the Indian staff offsets his poor skills with his poor low pay salary, which for most businesses is the deciding factor (you are outsourcing, mind you).

- fellow Indian.
    YOU SEEM TO BE TALKING ABOUT YOURSELF!

I have worked with people from USA/UK/AUS etc as a team but I couldn't find any difference between the Indian talent and the American or European staff.
    I only saw the Ameriacn/English staff thrown out of the company at the end of the day and the so called companies skyrock!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Is there a reason in particular why you are looking to outsource your support? Personally, I would avoid doing it at all costs (especially if your company is based in the USA).
    Since you said that you will avoid outsourcing at all cost then I guess I heard Donald Trump with you I'm always eager to ask someone the reason behind this. Care to share?
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello Indiagirl, please don't get me wrong with these questions.

How come Indian call centers are moving in the Philippines?
    Or if not they are making some presence here?
    Is in it more cost effective if they do it there?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by universal2001 View Post

To help you decide and to help my country to sell our talents

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/india/phil...ens-center/259
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...7017538393.htm

I think the writers are both Indians
      0 Not allowed!

Well

YOU SEEM TO BE TALKING ABOUT YOURSELF!

I have worked with people from USA/UK/AUS etc as a team but I couldn't find any difference between the Indian talent and the American or European staff.
    I only saw the Ameriacn/English staff thrown out of the company at the end of the day and the so called companies skyrock!
    Ignorance never helps.
      0 Not allowed!

Ignorance never helps.
    --InfiniteTech

I have never been ignorant...

http://www.clientcomplain.com/Flytxt...-9857-SC.html#

That's one of the companies started in London, flytxt.com. They cud not afford their staff and profit. So they started a branch office in India. Now a 100% Indian staff company, except for the owners previously UK, but now Netherlands.

Hello Indiagirl, please don't get me wrong with these questions.
    --Yujin

Th Phily people have a close to American accent compared tgo Indians. So that should give them an edge in the competition.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteTech View Post
    Ignorance never helps.
    Agreed. She needs to calm down and think/read/understand/comprehend properly..
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
      0 Not allowed!

sirs/madam, please do the needful and produce the results of these surveys for our inspection.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Philippines worked great for us, but its not hosting business we have used it for some university related services.
      0 Not allowed!

Depends on the individuals or the company you work with, there are companies like Infosys, TCS, Accenture which employ thousands of good techies in India...similarly there will be good as well as bad companies in philipines as well.
      0 Not allowed!

Most Filipinos are english oriented. Some even prefer to speak it.
    With 97% of literacy rate, even the poorest can speak some english. They also ought to focus on the grammar and right diction.
      0 Not allowed!

My suggestion would be to go to a company which hires people who can fulfill your requirements and are feasible in costs and terms for your business.
    Countries dont matter people (their quality of service)and costs do for your business. In India or Philippines you can get both Indiangirl (see above posts) or InfiniteTech qualities although in India you would find far more diversity and choices of quality.
    if you would give more details about the kind of service you are thinking of outsourcing, somebody out here would probably direct you more accurately regardless of the nation.
      0 Not allowed!

I think outsourcing support is not a good idea...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by oleg_st View Post
    I think outsourcing support is not a good idea...
    It is not a good idea if you have a handful of employees on your payroll.
    But I'm definitely sure that you will be considering this if you are spending millions JUST for the salary of your customer service and technical support.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ameeriklane View Post
    We have an office with actual employees (not via an outsourcing firm) in the Philippines. It's worked out very well. In terms of language and cultural issues, Filipinos and Americans are very close culturally for historical reasons (going back to World War II when they fought side-by-side against the Japanese).

We also looked at India and I've been there many times. There are indeed more cultural differences, but you can find competent people in both places.
    i dont think so its the issue which you have mention, coz whatever you have mention is just a cultural issue and i think we are discussion on business or technical related...
      0 Not allowed!