Need a Windows VPS

I need something small to run a copy of quickbooks on for a small business so it's accessible from anywhere. What would you guys suggest?

I believe you will need a database engine for this purpose right? If so, I'll recommend getting 1 GB RAM VPS. Also, since you need Windows VPS, I'll recommend Hyper-V based VPS for dedicated RAM and increased stability/reliability.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Quote Originally Posted by davidpaj View Post
    I need something small to run a copy of quickbooks on for a small business so it's accessible from anywhere. What would you guys suggest?
    What is your budget? Any preferable locations?
    Maple-Hosting - Netherlands Dedicated Servers
    Award-Winning Highly-Customizable Dedicated Servers Since 2008

“After 14 months, I can’t give them less than 10/10 on all aspects!” - Read Our Customer Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Softsys Hosting View Post
    I believe you will need a database engine for this purpose right? If so, I'll recommend getting 1 GB RAM VPS. Also, since you need Windows VPS, I'll recommend Hyper-V based VPS for dedicated RAM and increased stability/reliability.
    The database engine is a binary flat file based engine that Quickbooks uses. Quickbooks is designed to be light weight on the average users cheap laptop or desktop -- they should be able to run it in any sort of Windows VPS without an issue.

Hyper-V is going to do nothing but double the cost (or more). You'll be fine with any reliable Windows VPS Company, but I'd definitely recommend at least 512mb ram to be certain that Quickbooks will even start up.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Why is Hyper-V going to double the cost (or more) of a Windows VPS? I'm pretty sure the licensing cost of Hyper-V is right on par with Xen, or Virtuozzo. No matter what you use you have to pay for Windows licenses.
    Last edited by Reliabox-James; 01-28-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo

I am looking for a good place to host Quickbooks as well. For now, we just need one user but will want to change to multiple users after some testing. We'll need 1 other Quickbooks plugin as well. Also, we already have a host for a Magento installation. Should we keep this separate?

Quote Originally Posted by afmaury View Post
    we already have a host for a Magento installation. Should we keep this separate?
    For security reasons, I would think that it would be wise to keep your accounting system separate from your forward facing online presence. This would further be mandated by PCI compliance under just about any circumstance.

You should never store cardholder information on the same system that accepts incoming web requests and it would be best to keep this information on an internal network not accessible via the public network.
    rick@slicie.com - Vertical Scaling Servers
    30 Minute Backups - Only pay for what you use

davidpaj and afmaury, if you're going to run Windows 2008, get at least 1 gig of RAM (more would be nicer). If you're going to run Windows 2003, 512 may cut the trick, but I'd probably recommend 768 to be safe.

afmaury, keep your QB off the Magneto system. Magneto is a RAM and CPU hog by itself. Go with a separate system if you've got the budget for it, especially if you're going to add additional users over time.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Thanks for the quick replies. Sounds like its best to keep these separate.

As for the Quickbooks hosting, will this be tricky to setup and use on a VPS? Any suggestions on where we might look for someone to get things setup?

Actually, Quickbooks is probably one of the easiest programs to set up on a VPS. You'll need to tinker with the browser settings to add Quickbooks' main site as a TRUSTED site so you can download the installer.

I tend to post this a lot, but it's worthy of repeating, since it helps people forge solid relationships with their hosting provider(s):

Take a peek at the offers forum. Compile a list of 10-12 providers that may interest you. Contact each provider individually with a list of questions (make sure you ask for proof of uptime, if possible). See who responds back to you, not necessarily with how FAST... rather, how DETAILED/HELPFUL they respond back to you as. Obviously, time is a good consideration (be mindful that some companies have set sales hours vs having a 24 hour support team). This should allow you to get your potential candidates list down to 5-6 providers.

Search for reviews on Google, Bing, WHT and other hosting forums (DigitalPoint, HostHideOut, etc). Get your list brought down to 2-3 providers.

Come on back and ask for reviews on those 2-3 providers and then you should be able to make an informed decision.

Unfortunately, I think we'll need some help getting it setup on a VPS - even if it is easy. Any ideas of where to get help with that setup? I'm just not very familiar with VPS.

afmaury, your best bet would be to incorporate that into the list of questions you ask your potential hosting provider.

Thanks Douglas. I'll be sure to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by afmaury View Post
    Unfortunately, I think we'll need some help getting it setup on a VPS - even if it is easy. Any ideas of where to get help with that setup? I'm just not very familiar with VPS.
    Some providers offer vps management as addon.
    Most of the time vps is set up ready for hosting production site.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by davidpaj View Post
    Check out Frantech and Hostdime, both are great providers!

Thanks. I was actually referring to getting Quickbooks setup. I've never set this up on a VPS and I am unsure how to go about this for even 1 user - let alone for multiple users.