Red face VPS migration query

I currently have about 30 domains on a reseller account. Most of the domains get little traffic and are simple html pages. However about 10 are either wordpress or phpbb. I'm considering moving to a different reseller provider but the thought of uprooting and migrating all these domains is horrble.

I'm wondering if a vps is a solution? From my understanding I can create a virtual machine, configure apache, whm, and setup all my domains once and then easily migrate to a different host? Is this correct? Is it as simple as moving a virtual machine from one host to another and maybe changing ip address?

Any provider, most that offer cPanel or are fully managed will migrate the sites for you.
    Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    CS Student, Geek, Software Engineer, Developer

Thanks. However I'm looking at this from an os perspective.

Can I install a vps , configure my os + web server, setup my domains and then move easily to another vps provider? Is it just a matter of moving my vps file from one to another and maybe changing ip settings ?

Quote Originally Posted by DevNine View Post
    Thanks. However I'm looking at this from an os perspective.

Can I install a vps , configure my os + web server, setup my domains and then move easily to another vps provider? Is it just a matter of moving my vps file from one to another and maybe changing ip settings ?
    There really are alot of variables, as all VPS are not the same. But if you stay with the same virtualization platform, it could be that simple. Now, since you are moving it, you are probably doing that move for a quality concern, so will you have access to the backup file from the host? That is a mighty big if there.

Your idea to move from a reseller to VPS is probably a very good idea if economics are about equal, as you will have much more control in the VPS, and since it will be running WHM/cPanel, you can impliment a backup strategy that includes offsite copies of the sites.

So in theory you could take your VPS image from provider to provider, reality says it will probably never happen and you will resort to your backups if access to the live files becomes an issue.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DevNine View Post
    I'm wondering if a vps is a solution? From my understanding I can create a virtual machine, configure apache, whm, and setup all my domains once and then easily migrate to a different host? Is this correct? Is it as simple as moving a virtual machine from one host to another and maybe changing ip address?
    No. Very, very few VPS hosts would support moving a VPS image -- your configured VPS + your data -- from or to a different host.

If you use cpanel, you can generate full backup, ftp backup file to VPS and restore backup with root user.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise