Dedicated Server Recommendation

I run two sites GivingPraise dotcom and AppreciateLife domcom.

I run the sites on a hostgator shared account and serve the videos from a 1&1 account.

I'm looking for a dedicated host that can handle server or process intensive activities.

We just got our site shut down due to an overload on the processor (not bandwidth).

Do you recommend a dedicated web hosting company that specializes in servers that can handle very server intensive processes?

Thank you

Can't the 2 providers you are using now help you with a dedicated server?
    Eventually have a look in the advertising section to find some good offers.

Where does the host need to be located and what kind of server configuration do you have in mind?
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Not too happy with hostgator

Well, I've been hosting with hostgator since they started. I wasn't happy that they pulled my site down with no notice whatsoever. I had a very expensive ad campaign running at the time.
    The site went down for several days.

And hostgator couldn't even tell me exactly what caused it. They just basically said, put it on a VPS and cross your fingers that it works.

Not good.

So I'm looking for a dedicated hosting provider whose servers are built for handling heavy processor intensive activities. I'm leaning toward LiquidWeb, but that's only because they have a good reputation. I haven't researched any others.

You may want to consider VPS hosting instead.

got a VPS

I'm on a vps host right now. I upgraded after the crash. But I figure this site is only going to get more traffic and more server intensive so why not get a dedicated host.

Hostgator couldn't guarantee me that the same thing wouldn't happen with a VPS.

It may be because of the ad campaign, or it could just be an excuse to get rid of a higher-than-average usage customer. Without more details on the kind of traffic and load you're seeing, really hard to say.

I do have one customer who gets really low cpu use typically, something like 5 megabit and half a cpu core, where his google adwords campaign hits all at once for some reason, and his cpu and bandwidth goes through the roof for like an hour and then back to normal. Just about every day. Pretty hard to plan for that kind of usage curve without overbuying resources. Not sure if you're having the same issue, but I believe that adwords will allow you to pick "show my ads evenly throughout the day" rather than "show my ads as quickly as possible", which should help with bursts like that.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

that's what happened

I believe that's what happened. This was a list of over 200,000 that hit all at once. But I'm going to be doing that same list so I need something that won't go down on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Houstonman View Post
    But I figure this site is only going to get more traffic and more server intensive so why not get a dedicated host
    Sure... if budget allows. Go for it.

As was said, if your budget allows for this, go ahead.

If not, you would definitely be better off staggering the emails you send out to people so that you can get a more gradual stream of traffic. Even if you get a dedicated server, if you get thousands of people showing up to a website to buy things at the same time, you can overwhelm the server and bring your site to a crawl. On a dedicated server, nobody will suspend your service, but that doesn't mean the site will be up for people if too many go there at once.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

You can think of buying a server from either burst.net or fdcserver.net. FDC provides unlimited bandwidth solutions at decent rates.

I wonder , which kind of site script are you running there?
    maybe contact the vendors of your site regarding code optimization.

CPU intensive applications tend to stay CPU intensive , regardless for the environment which you host them on.

have you ruled out the code optimization factor already? if yes, then more hardware it is for you ...
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

Guess it'd be better for you to use services from the company which specializes in servers - 1paket.
    They offer so many dedicated servers with unmetered traffic, that you are able to choose the right one for yourself.

good advice

Quote Originally Posted by beastserv View Post
    I wonder , which kind of site script are you running there?
    maybe contact the vendors of your site regarding code optimization.

CPU intensive applications tend to stay CPU intensive , regardless for the environment which you host them on.

have you ruled out the code optimization factor already? if yes, then more hardware it is for you ...
    Thank you, that's good advice. I'll go back to the developers of the site and ask them this question.

If you go to GivingPraise.com you'll see it's a simple video viewing site. We host our videos on a different host than the actual server that the blog sits on. But very good point.