Dedicated anycast multiple locations

Hello,

I am looking for a provider who can provide anycasted dedicated servers.

Basically, one server in various location and on global IP to access the content published on every server and one regular unicast IP.

Locations I am seeking include USA, EU and Aasia. Any hint welcome.

Cheers,

Greg

Do you really need the full power of a dedicated server, or a VPS would do? What are your hardware requirements for the dedicated?
    You could also explicitly mention that you require BGP (for the anycast). I know that most VPS providers can't offer you BGP, but some can.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    Do you really need the full power of a dedicated server, or a VPS would do? What are your hardware requirements for the dedicated?
    You could also explicitly mention that you require BGP (for the anycast). I know that most VPS providers can't offer you BGP, but some can.
    Agreed, does it need to be dedicated or can it be VPS?

I am not against VPS and I have not yet defined exactly the best hardware match. I am flexible to discuss that.

AS for BGP, sure the provider will have to run it. I got a fair experience in that area and I am looking for a company who already has it implemented, not someone who can build it.

BGP is definitely not a "set and forget" protocol and adding anycast to BGP is just about to bring a lot of hassles that I do not want to deal with. I should imagine that to avoid brain-split, one must also use an extra layer of awareness, such as using OSPF which is state-aware to never route traffic to a dead host.

No sane provider would run OSPF with their customer (or with any router or host out of their control) - the possibilities for intentional or unintentional screwup are too many.
    You should run BGP on your dedicated/VPS servers (say quagga or similar) and peer with your upstream ISP and advertise your /24. When your server in a given location dies (or the connection to it dies) that /24 is no longer advertised to the local ISP in that location and they are no longer redistributing it to the Internet.

@rds100

I should imagine that a sensible professional provider could offert this as a managed service. OSPF binding with a public interface and regular unicast for management. Thus why I am looking for a provider who already does this - having to route /24 PI means even more hassles and means my problem to make it work, basically.

Let me maybe clarify: I am looking for a provider which already operate a true anycast network, which owns footprint in various datacenters and which can accommodate multi-site and fail-over of the so-called *anycasted* IP with a state-aware protocol. This just how *anycast* DNS providers operate. Then having VPS or Dedicated server is more like a detail.
    Last edited by Dualism; 02-24-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Contact Voxel.net about this - they can definitely help you out. They have their own network with a number of POPs and operate anycast on their own too (e.g. ns.voxel.net).

Whats the problem of running anycast on multiple different providers (AS)?

I don't know much about anycast. anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng View Post
    Whats the problem of running anycast on multiple different providers (AS)?

I don't know much about anycast. anyone?
    I am well aware of anycast, I am just interested in providers that does that. Problem is easy. One need a /24 minimum to do so. Basically, I have no way to justify 25% usage as of now and nowadays, good luck.

RIPE has a special Anycast Assignment Request Form. Don't know where you are located (RIPE land or ARIN land or somewhere else), but please check with your RIR.

I read before in this forum, Servercentral.net, Steadfast.net, voxel.net (the one mentioned before), inforelay.com and few others do this,

while, many others can do, but some don't offer as their policy.

as anycast requires 0/24, which is big number of ips, not many companies tend to give ips more than 10 unless justified, just some thoughts.

like the op said, using service from a single provider who already uses this, is for simplicity when troubleshooting situations kind of, and when using multiple providers, is technically possible (if other providers accept to connect to the primary provider network and ensure network connections between them, just some thoughts, thank you
    Last edited by securitywonks; 03-02-2011 at 12:10 PM.