Thread: SQL Performance

SQL Performance

I have never touched cloud based services before. Could you conceivably use cluster in the same manner as you would a dedicated? For example, a separate db server and still have good performance? I would use LiquidWeb/Storm as an example.

The reason I ask is a friend is starting a social networking site and a cloud make sense to start out with since we have no idea how quickly it would take off and expand.

Thoughts?

Frank

As far as I understand.
    With a cloud solution ( Like the EC2 cloud )

You could have one instance and that would do.
    You coudl expand it as and when you needed, More CPU more RAM etc..
    EVEN move it around the globe following the sun to keep your server nearer users who are up and using the site the most.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

If you're going to use LiquidWeb/Storm as an example, you might as well think of them as a standard VPS. Of course, moving your DB off your frontend server would likely improve things as long as the interconnect between them is fast. If you have to bridge out across availability zones or data centers, then you'll suffer a penalty. That's one thing to keep an eye on for multi-DC cloud providers.

As your needs grow, you'll still have to contend with setting up the SQL servers properly in their own cluster arrangement for read/writes. A cloud really doesn't make a difference here.

Its still not something you can spool up on a whim or even CONSIDER moving it around the globe following the sun.

Why cloud? Your advantage will be the dynamic number of front-ends you can spool up behind your load balancers. On both ends of that pool, they're relatively fixed resources.

You can use cloud EXACTLY for what you describe, and we do it for many of the larger customers we host.

Applogic is great for this as a cloud platform because it allows you set these different virtual servers up as a grouped "application" and specifically run all of them on any of the physical servers in your cluster or split them up, you chose.

There is a good graphical demonstration in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YMGqhqpzp0

Probably linking to this would have been more useful

MySQL Database Appliances
    http://doc.3tera.com/AppLogic29/CatD...ncesMySQL.html

MySQL Database Appliances suitable for replication
    http://doc.3tera.com/AppLogic29/CatD...cesMySQLR.html

AppLogic is a good turnkey solution if you don't have the time or expertise to setup the appropriate server monitoring and failover scripts. It also comes with a pretty UI

I was going more for the "here is a general overview" kind of link than handing them the tech manual (the two links you provided).

To create a mysql cluster replication with load balancing, try with MySQL-mmm
    http://mysql-mmm.org/mmm2:guide

But, previous tu buy two or three servers to create a cluster, try with a only 1 server, but hosted in a SSD disk. SSD server will provide you better performance comparing with a cluster with SATA disks.

If you are interested, I'm able to create for you a vps server hosted in a SSD disks, and try the SQL performance... Contact me if you want.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by brentpresley View Post
    I was going more for the "here is a general overview" kind of link than handing them the tech manual (the two links you provided).
    No worries. I just keep face-palming whenever I see them do the single server MySQL setup in their marketing material - especially something repeatedly touted as highly fault-tolerant in the cloud.

Hence the second link to the MySQLR appliance config, which when you get near the bottom, actually has pretty good info on setting up the different application tiers.

Yeah, they do that just for simplicity.

We have used up to 4 mysql DBs on different servers in some setups with customers. But really no more than 2 are ever really needed except for the most demanding DB applications.

Thanks for the information.

Brent, I submitted a question via your contact form about a backup storage solution.

As for the cloud question above, we still have a lot to think about.

Thanks,
    Frank

Saw your e-mail. Thanks!

Thanks for the talk today. I am stoked about Applogic

what is cloud hosting?

Here is a brief description:
    http://www.webhostingsecretrevealed....cloud-hosting/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

In general, it is a clustering of multiple servers together with the goal of offering:
    1) High Availability - if one server goes down, there is little to no down time for the customers on that server because their data is replicated on another machine and the "spare" machine in the cloud picks up where the dead machine left off.
    2) FailOver - This is related to HA, meaning that the process of the spare server, or node as they are often called, picks up automatically without user or administrator intervention.

Beyond those two KEY components, you will see a lot of arguing as to what constitutes cloud. Some people stop the definition of just having a VPS (Virtual Private Server) running on the above setup. Others say that you need fully distributed applications (i.e. groups of multiple VPS's that are interconnected) that are designed in a way to prevent the end user (customer of the customer) from noticing if there were ever a hardware failure.

Many companies provide the underlying Platform for cloud, and all have their own different feature-set.

Among them are:
    Amazon EC2
    Microsoft Azure
    CA 3Tera AppLogic
    OnApp
    VMWare Cloud

As you can tell, our preference has been for CA 3Tera AppLogic. We consider it to be years ahead of the other platforms because it allows for a VERY VERY rapid deployment by even end users of the technology (see the above video in one of my previous posts for insight into the GUI).

Quite literally, we were at Cloud Computing Expo 2010 watching VMWare demo their Cloud solutions and their roadmap, when most of the stuff they were talking about was 2-3 years out. They were invited over to the CA 3Tera booth and looked at AppLogic and you could see this sinking feeling on their faces. All of the features they were touting as new and up-coming for the next 2-3 years had already been implemented.