Need help with initial VPS setup (VPSLatch)

Hi guys.. I realize I could probably bug my hosting support, but since my questions are based out of ignorance (no Linux or VPS experience), I thought I might ask for help here first.

I just got a VPS through VPSLatch. I now have a snazzy little control panel.. and no idea how to use it to setup websites.

In the past, I would simply buy my domain name at cheapdomain.com, change the nameservers to point to my host (ns1.myhostingco.com, ns2.myhostingco.com, etc..) and then head over to my shared host and create a folder/assign the new domain name. Voila.. it magically finds it. I never really had a need to understand how it all worked.

Okay.. now when I signed up with vps latch, I was asked for a domain name and nameserver prefixes (as well as computer name). So... I basically have ns1.blahblah.com and ns2.blahblah.com ...where blahblah.com is my new domain name.

Could someone tell me from here, how do I associate the blahblah.com (registered at cheapdomain.com) to my new static ip address on my vm at vnclatch.. and then proceed to start pointing new domain names at it? Any additional explanation is welcome. Part of the other reason I wanted a VPS was to learn and understand all of this stuff.

Gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
    Hi guys.. I realize I could probably bug my hosting support, but since my questions are based out of ignorance (no Linux or VPS experience), I thought I might ask for help here first.

I just got a VPS through VPSLatch. I now have a snazzy little control panel.. and no idea how to use it to setup websites.

In the past, I would simply buy my domain name at cheapdomain.com, change the nameservers to point to my host (ns1.myhostingco.com, ns2.myhostingco.com, etc..) and then head over to my shared host and create a folder/assign the new domain name. Voila.. it magically finds it. I never really had a need to understand how it all worked.

Okay.. now when I signed up with vps latch, I was asked for a domain name and nameserver prefixes (as well as computer name). So... I basically have ns1.blahblah.com and ns2.blahblah.com ...where blahblah.com is my new domain name.

Could someone tell me from here, how do I associate the blahblah.com (registered at cheapdomain.com) to my new static ip address on my vm at vnclatch.. and then proceed to start pointing new domain names at it? Any additional explanation is welcome. Part of the other reason I wanted a VPS was to learn and understand all of this stuff.

Gracias!

Hello,

You can set up your private name servers inside of WHM root by selecting Basic cPanel & WHM Setup from there you should insert the name servers and assign ips to them if this has not been done.

You can check this before proceeding with the above in WHM root go to the find bar and type name server ips and select it and check the output

〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

you have to have your name servers setup in your Basic cPanel & WHM Setup and then set the hostname records at your registrar for your custom nameservers

Isn't VPSlatch managed ? U could ask them ?
    If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Hey,

We are a FULLY managed VPS hosting provider so don't hesitate to contact us.

Go ahead and login to our client area and submit a helpdesk ticket, our support technicians will gladly set your server up for you!

Welcome to VPSLatch.

Thanks,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by target View Post
    Isn't VPSlatch managed ? U could ask them ?

Yep.. read the first sentence of my post. I was just trying to understand more as opposed to just having it done for me.

Thanks, Adam.. I'll probably be in touch soon. Just trying to make sense of it first.

Yep.. read the first sentence of my post. I was just trying to understand more as opposed to just having it done for me.
    You can ask how to do it in a support ticket. Submit a support ticket to VPSLatch and they should tell you exactly what needs to be done.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    You can ask how to do it in a support ticket. Submit a support ticket to VPSLatch and they should tell you exactly what needs to be done.
    I understand this. Again... I absolutely understand how the ticket system works. I ask questions such as these to gain more understanding and insight. I'm trying to learn more about the process as a whole.. how setting up dns on a server works.. how the association works between registering a name with a registrar and getting it setup to use on a server that exists elsewhere. It's about overall knowledge and learning.
    Last edited by wolfdogg; 02-23-2011 at 05:31 PM.

I understand this. Again... I absolutely understand how the ticket system works. I ask questions such as these to gain more understanding and insight. I'm trying to learn more about the process as a whole.. how setting up dns on a server works.. how the association works between registering a name with a registrar and getting it setup to use on a server that exists elsewhere. It's about overall knowledge and learning.
    Ok. Happy learning.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Now that you have cPanel/WHM with your VPS, first you would need to go ahead and create an account for your domain name, and assign a package to it.

Once you do that you can assign private name servers to the domain by going into your reseller center.

Use this basic information to search Google, and you will find more info than you actually need .

- Daniel

Why would you not use the managed services you pay for. That's like paying for a prescription and not taking at.

:/

As he said before, he is just trying to learn. We have many clients that could easily ask us to do it but instead want to learn how to do it themselves just for the heck of it.

- Daniel

I always ask in a ticket how something's done, or rather to verify my edits or settings rather than just asking it and waiting for it to happen It will save me time in the future!

Well I'm back because the help desk isn't working for me. To be honest, I was struggling with them when I started this thread and was hoping the help here could make up for my lack of understanding.
    Can someone help me to make sense of this? It just can't be this hard.. but I am apparently lacking in some aspect of understanding.

xxxx is substituted for my domain in the conversation below.

From me...

Hi guys... absolutely no rush on this at all and sorry to pester you with what will likely be a dumb question. But...

I just got my account yesterday and am trying to figure out the setup process for a new website. All of my sites are simply php code and mysql databases. I found phpmyadmin yesterday and have no problem with the db side of things.

As far as getting websites on my server..

I've always just registered all my domain names at cheapdomain.com. After buying a domain name, it's simply a matter of changing the nameserver that the domain is pointing to. Now I assume that I'll now use ns1.xxxx.com and ns2.xxxx.com, but it's the changes I need to make on my new VM that I'm uncertain of.

From them...

Hello Jeff,

I am not seeing the domain xxxx.com registered any where.

Please make sure whether you have registered your domain with the registrar control panel.

From me...

okay.. xxxx.com is registered at cheapdomain.com

I think i've set the hostname records up at cheapdomain.com correctly. I pointed the nameservers here and added ns1.xxxx.com and ns2.xxxx.com

I'm just guessing this is what should be done? Can you set the nameservers up in my cpanel... or tell me how that gets done?

Thanks for the help.

From them...

I have setup the name servers as given below. Please register the name servers and register the domain with the name servers.

---------
    ns1.xxxx.com -- xx.37.54.xxx
    ns2.xxxx.com -- xx.37.54.xxx

From me...

okay.. I think I did it correctly. It says to expect 24-48 hours to propagate.. not sure how accurate that is.

But.. after the changes take place, what is my next step in testing? How do I create a default site/page ?

Sorry to be asking such obvious questions... it's just all new to me. After I catch on, I'm confident all will go well. Thanks again.

From them...

HI,

Could you please update us exact issues bit more clear so that I can proceed further.

From me...

I'm just trying to figure out how to host a site on my new server? Where do I go in the control panel and what do I do? If I go register www.mynewdomain.com and I point the nameservers here (to ns1.xxxx.com and ns2.xxxx.com), what's the next step to getting www.mynewdomain.com online?

From them...

Hi Jeff,

I could not see any domain in the server. Please let upload the domain in the server then it will start working.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Have a great day

From me...

That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do?

How do I "upload a domain" to a server? All I've ever done was shared hosting. I would register a domain name, point the name servers to my host and then go register the domain name there and the hosting company made it work.

This is my first experience with Linux and doing this myself. I go register a domain name at cheapdomain.com, I changed the namerservers to point to my vm... but now what do I do ???

Do I login to the control panel and click on something? How do I tell the new VM.... "This is a site you should be hosting"??

From them...

Hi Jeff,

If you provide us with backup file of the domain , we will restore that domain for you.

------------------------------------------------------------
    And there's my frustration. A backup file of the domain??? What the heck is that? I'm just trying to get a site going with a brand new registered domain name. Anyway, I can tell that I could probably write another 20x and I am not going to be able to accurately describe my problem so I'm back here.

The info above that TmxHosting gave is closer to what I'm looking for.. just the quick step by step to where I should be going in the control panel. When he says to "go create an account for your domain", where do I do that? I have looked all through this WHM VPS Optimized Control Panel and just don't see where I am supposed to go.

Sadly, I haven't even got to trying to ftp my files up to the server... that challenge comes next.

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Reading through all that, have you actually registered your nameservers with the registrar? It's different from updating the nameservers of yourdomain.com to ns1/ns2.yourdomain.com. It's a field where you create ns1/ns2 and enter the IPs for each. If you don't think you've done this or don't know where to do this, contact your registrar.

2nd, after the above is done and assuming nameservers are set up properly on your server (which it does look like based on your chat), then simply click on "Create a New Account" in WHM and enter your domain there. You can create packages first if you wish, or simply edit the package as you create the account. Creating an account is basically creating the cPanel account for your domain (same as what you're used to from shared hosting). Afterwards, you can go to the cPanel login and log into the cPanel account for your domain and go from there.

cPanel login is at http://xx.xx.xx.xx:2082 (non-ssl) and https://xx.xx.xx.xx:2083 (ssl).

Hi WF. Thx for the reply. I did do the registration as well as updating.. I was confused about that for a bit but I eventually got past that hurdle this morning.

My cPanel is located at http://xx.xx.xx.xxx:2086 so I guess they're just using a different port. What you're saying is the way I expected it to work and the reason for all my questions to support. I just don't have an option like that. Here's my entire panel of options:

Server Configuration
    Basic cPanel & WHM Setup
    Change Root Password
    Initial Quota Setup
    Server Time
    Statistics Software Configuration
    Tweak Settings
    Update Preferences
    Support
    Configure Customer Contact
    Support Center
    Networking Setup
    Change Hostname
    Nameserver IPs
    Resolver Configuration
    Security Center
    Apache mod_userdir Tweak
    Compiler Access
    Configure Security Policies
    cPHulk Brute Force Protection
    Fix Insecure Permissions (Scripts)
    Host Access Control
    Manage root’s SSH Keys
    Manage Wheel Group Users
    Password Strength Configuration
    PHP open_basedir Tweak
    Quick Security Scan
    Scan for Trojan Horses
    Security Questions
    Shell Fork Bomb Protection
    SMTP Tweak
    SSH Password Authorization Tweak
    Traceroute Enable/Disable
    Server Contacts
    Change System Mail Preferences
    Contact Manager
    Resellers
    Change ownership of an account
    Change ownership of multiple accounts
    Edit reseller privileges & nameservers
    Email all resellers
    Manage reseller's IP delegation
    Manage reseller's main/shared IP
    Reseller Center
    Reset resellers
    Show Reseller Accounts
    View usage/stats and manage (suspend, terminate, etc.)
    Service Configuration
    Apache Configuration
    Bandmin Password
    Configure PHP and SuExec
    cPanel Log Rotation Configuration
    Exim Configuration Editor
    FTP Server Configuration
    FTP Server Selection
    Mailserver Configuration
    Mailserver Selection
    Manage Service SSL Certificates
    Nameserver Selection
    PHP Configuration Editor
    Service Manager
    Locales
    Application Locale Configuration
    Copy a Locale
    Delete a Locale
    Edit a Locale
    Locale XML Download
    Locale XML Upload
    View Available Locales
    Backup
    Configuration File Rollback
    Configure Backup
    Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file
    Restore Backups
    Restore Multiple Backups
    Cluster/Remote Access
    Configure Cluster
    Setup Remote Access Key
    System Reboot
    Forceful Server Reboot
    Graceful Server Reboot
    Server Status
    Apache Status
    Daily Process Log
    Server Information
    Service Status
    Account Information
    List Accounts
    List Parked Domains
    List Subdomains
    List Suspended Accounts
    Search Accounts
    Show Accounts over Quota
    View Bandwidth Usage
    Account Functions
    Change Site's IP Address
    Create a New Account
    Disable or Enable Demo Mode
    Email all Users
    Force Password Change
    Limit Bandwidth Usage
    Manage Shell Access
    Modify an Account
    Modify Suspended Account Page
    Password Modification
    Quota Modification
    Raw Apache Log Download
    Raw FTP Log Download
    Rearrange an Account
    Reset Account Bandwidth Limit
    Show Active and Inactive Accounts
    Skeleton Directory
    Suspend/Unsuspend an Account
    Terminate an Account
    Unsuspend Bandwidth Exceeders
    Upgrade/Downgrade an Account
    Web Template Editor
    Multi Account Functions
    Change Multiple Sites' IP Addresses
    Modify/Upgrade Multiple Accounts
    Terminate Multiple Accounts
    FrontPage
    Install FrontPage Extensions
    Install FrontPage Mail Extensions
    Uninstall FrontPage Extensions
    Transfers
    Copy an account from another server
    Copy an account from another server with account password
    Copy multiple accounts/packages from another server
    Review Copied Accounts
    Themes
    Change WHM Theme
    Universal Theme Manager
    Packages
    Add a Package
    Delete a Package
    Edit a Package
    Feature Manager
    DNS Functions
    Add a DNS Zone
    Add an A Entry for your Hostname
    Delete a DNS Zone
    Edit DNS Zone
    Edit MX Entry
    Edit Zone Templates
    Nameserver IPs
    Park a Domain
    Perform a DNS Cleanup
    Reset a DNS Zone
    Setup/Edit Domain Forwarding
    Synchronize DNS Records
    SQL Services
    Additional MySQL Access Hosts
    Change MySQL DB Owner Password
    Database Map Tool
    Disable Database Prefix
    MySQL Root Password
    phpMyAdmin
    Repair a MySQL Database
    Reset Local MySQL Root Password
    Setup Remote MySQL server
    Show MySQL Processes
    IP Functions
    Add a New IP Address
    Change Site's IP Address
    Configure Remote Service IPs
    IP Migration Wizard
    Rebuild the IP Address Pool
    Show IP Address Usage
    Show or Delete Current IP Addresses
    Show/Edit Reserved IPs
    Disk Drives
    Format/Mount a new Hard Drive
    Optimize EIDE Hard Drives
    Software
    Check/Repair a Perl Script
    EasyApache (Apache Update)
    Install a Perl Module
    Install a RPM
    Module Installers
    MySQL Upgrade
    Rebuild RPM Database
    Update Server Software
    Update System Software
    Email
    Mail Directory Conversion System
    Mail Queue Manager
    Mail Troubleshooter
    Repair Mailbox permissions
    View Mail Statistics
    View Relayers
    System Health
    Background Process Killer
    Process Manager
    Show Current Disk Usage
    Show Current Running Processes
    cPanel
    Addon Scripts (Deprecated)
    Branding
    Change Log
    Enable/Disable Outlook AutoConfig
    Install cPAddons
    Manage cPAddons
    Manage Plugins
    Modify cPanel & WHM News
    Reset a Mailman Password
    Shopping Cart Reset
    Synchronize FTP Passwords
    Upgrade to Latest Version
    SSL/TLS
    Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request
    Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain
    Manage SSL Hosts
    Purchase & Install SSL Certificate
    SSL Key/Crt Manager
    Restart Services
    DNS Server (BIND/NSD)
    E-Commerce Server (Interchange)
    FTP Server (ProFTPd/PureFTPd)
    HTTP Server (Apache)
    IMAP Server (Courier/Dovecot)
    Mail Server (Exim)
    Mailing List Manager (Mailman)
    POP3 Server (cPPOP)
    SQL Server (MySQL)
    SSH Server (OpenSSH)
    Plugins
    ConfigServer Security&Firewall
    Fantastico De Luxe WHM Admin
    Mod Security
    Setup Spamd Startup Configuration

There it is! 'Create a new Account'. I had just overlooked it.. but didn't know that's what I even needed until TMZ said so above. okay.. moving forward! Whew!

I think where you're getting confused at is how cPanel/WHM is set up. Right now, you're logged in WHM, which is the manager for your server and accounts. "Create a New Account" is one of the options in your list above. Just find it, it's there.

After you've created the account, you have to then log into cPanel for that account, which is different from WHM you're currently in. So open a new browser tab and head to http://xx.xx.xx.xx:2082 and log in with the account you've just created in WHM. Here, you can then managed the domain, emails, ftp, etc., just like in shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    I think where you're getting confused at is how cPanel/WHM is set up. Right now, you're logged in WHM, which is the manager for your server and accounts. "Create a New Account" is one of the options in your list above. Just find it, it's there.

After you've created the account, you have to then log into cPanel for that account, which is different from WHM you're currently in. So open a new browser tab and head to http://xx.xx.xx.xx:2082 and log in with the account you've just created in WHM. Here, you can then managed the domain, emails, ftp, etc., just like in shared hosting.
    Halelujah! It worked! I have a default directory showing! Whew.. and thank you VERY much for the tip on the 2082 cp. I looked back through all my welcome emails and I don't have that info anywhere. That answers a ton of questions and will save me another day of painful emails I'm sure!

THANK YOU!

No problem. Glad it's working out for you.

Just another note, you don't have to go to the cPanel login page if you don't want to. cPanel for your accounts are also accessible via the "List Accounts" page in WHM and clicking the cPanel icon. It'll then open a new window already logged into cPanel for that account.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    No problem. Glad it's working out for you.

Just another note, you don't have to go to the cPanel login page if you don't want to. cPanel for your accounts are also accessible via the "List Accounts" page in WHM and clicking the cPanel icon. It'll then open a new window already logged into cPanel for that account.
    Sweet! Thanks WF! It was actually off by default but I managed to find it in Tweak Settings and that is very handy!