reseller vs a vps

what is better for me a low end vps or a big reseller account? Not sure what big means but thats what the host calls it and says 1TB of space and 2TB of bandwith.
    I don't need much space maybe 10gb max and bandwith max of 50gb. The vps i am looking at has 50 GB of space and 1tb of bandwidth and 512ram.

i have never used a vps and and wondering if i should make the jump
    the most cpu usage all my sites have used is 16% (i am not sure if this is bad my current host have not complain but i think my current host is a little slow)

i do need to make sure the vps is operated like my reseller account where i can make multiple cpanels. How can I make sure i can make mutiple cpanels and have the same function as a reseller hosting account with a vps?

If you've never used a VPS, there's a much steeper learning curve toward getting started. I think it'll be better for you to start with a reseller account.

Resellers as TrySparta said is a lot easier to get used to the control panel side as VPS's do require some knowledge of the systems behind the control panel and what goes on with the CPU. If you really wanted to go the VPS root to offer for instance reseller hosting to your clients then make sure to get a fully managed VPS to help with any support needs you may have.

Do you have any companies in mind who you are going to go with for either the VPS or reseller hosting?

Like Andrew said it would be better to go for reseller if you have no experience in linux distributions. Check on WHT if you can find any good offer.

Quote Originally Posted by bccball40 View Post
    i do need to make sure the vps is operated like my reseller account where i can make multiple cpanels. How can I make sure i can make mutiple cpanels and have the same function as a reseller hosting account with a vps?
    If you get cPanel/WHM with your VPS, it'll function just like the WHM of a reseller account, except with a lot more options to manage your server.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    If you get cPanel/WHM with your VPS, it'll function just like the WHM of a reseller account, except with a lot more options to manage your server.
    I belive he won't need them if the hosting company will manage their servers properly

Do you have enough experience with linux to manage your own VPS server? If not, I'd recommend that you start out on a reseller hosting plan
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

If you don't need root access just go with a reseller account to start with.
    Hydro Host Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

the most cpu usage all my sites have used is 16%
    How do you know that exactly? Most hosts don't make it easy to see your own usage, the control panel shows only the overall server CPU usage.

Not sure what big means but thats what the host calls it and says 1TB of space and 2TB of bandwith.
    I don't need much space maybe 10gb max and bandwith max of 50gb.
    1TB of space and 2TB of bandwidth is large. So large in fact, that it doesn't seem to make sense, and it almost surely involves significant overselling. That's not necessarily something that will hurt you, though it is unlikely you'll be able/allowed to push that much data with a typical site.

The vps i am looking at has 50 GB of space and 1tb of bandwidth and 512ram.
    That might be enough for your usage, though one can never be 100% sure on these matters, given that the resources needed by a site/application can vary so much depending on the plugins being used, and the pattern of usage (it's one thing if you receive 100 visitors an hour day in and day out, and another if you receive 10000 visitors an hour 4 times a month). The control panel alone (with all the services it runs) will likely eat up 200MB+ of your available memory.

You could use a fully managed VPS as a reseller account (just create a reseller account that can use all the resources the VPS has), and let the host take care of the server administration tasks for you. A good VPS from a reputable provider won't be cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by bccball40 View Post
    A VPS with cPanel/WHM works just like a reseller account in terms of setting up customer's accounts, etc. WHM for a VPS includes more configuration options to control the server, and with the exception of MySQL tweaking, allows you to tweak the set up.

To help in your selection, look at reseller accounts vs. fully managed VPS with cPanel/WHM. The "fully managed" part means the host takes care of the configuration items behind the scenes, and you can ask them to tweak MySQL, update PHP, etc.

I suspect you'll find reseller accounts to be much less expensive than a fully managed VPS; I'm guessing here, but the difference might be about twice the price for a VPS.

If you are hosting sites with multiple MySQL queries (Wordpress, forums, etc.) a cPanel/WHM VPS with 1GB will be much better than one with only 512MB (cPanel takes up a couple hundred MB by itself).

Starting with a reseller is always the best option. It can give you enough experience to handle things on a hosting server. Also, you can learn technical processes to handle your VPS in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro_Host View Post
    If you don't need root access just go with a reseller account to start with.
    I wonder how many people prefer a VPS and never need root access?

Depends on on experience with this stuff. If you're a novice, go with a reseller, its less painful choice. And judging by your needs, you're far from needing a VPS.