Problems with a godaddy VPS, DNS and control panel

Hi all I have come looking for assistance with an issue regarding a godaddy VPS. I actually found this site searching for information and after reading some guides figured its probably best to join and post!

Basically a friend of mine has jumped in at the deep end with a VPS and doesnt have the time or experience to manage it, and has asked me to work out what the problem is with it. Not that my experience is substantial but at least I know a few basics

Anyway the site has been fine for 3-4 months and then all of a sudden last week it kept going offline. The first thing I noticed was that the DNS was not resolving, and that the process "Named (DNS Name Server)" was not running. Typing the IP in the address bar would take you to the site so it seems there is something wrong with "Named (DNS Name Server)"...?

I also noticed that there was only one IP configured to both NS1 and NS2, to which I am unsure if that will cause a problem? I have just enabled error logging on the server and waiting for an error print out.

Thanks to all who can give some advice

Welcome to the forums!

Have you contacted GoDaddy about this issue? Does his vps have cPanel/WHM?

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Godaddy will look at the issue for me. It is only $49 for the first 30 minutes

Its godaddys "simple control panel". I have just been hastling an online godaddy helper and he said "both the Tomcat and the Simple Control Panel services have crashed"
    Last edited by AndyPP; 02-23-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPP View Post
    Godaddy will look at the issue for me. It is only $49 for the first 30 minutes

Its godaddys "simple control panel". I have just been hastling an online godaddy helper and he said "both the Tomcat and the Simple Control Panel services have crashed"
    You better that they get it resolved quickly, otherwise they are going to kill you with charges. Your friend should look into a managed VPS provider.

- Daniel
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Considering the information I was able to provide does it sound like a misconfiguration of the server or a resource problem or possible faulty hardware?

thanks

To me it definitely sounds like a misconfiguration with the server.

- Daniel

Thats somewhat reassuring, at least thats something I can try fix lol
    Can you reccomend what I should look into, any specific logs that may give me a trail?

You said that it was working good for a few months and then it stopped. Was anything on the server changed recently?

- Daniel

I am led to believe nothing was changed, other than possibly incoming traffic

I just found this in tubropanel.log (I think its the control panel log)

Code:
    2011-02-22 15:00:02,870 INFO  HsqlDbSubsystem:	backupDatabase():	Moving shutdown.sql.1 to shutdown.sql.2
    2011-02-22 15:00:02,871 INFO  HsqlDbSubsystem:	backupDatabase():	Moving shutdown.sql to shutdown.sql.1
    2011-02-22 15:00:02,906 ERROR [/]:	log():	Servlet action threw unload() exception
    javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.destroy() for servlet action threw exception
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.unload(StandardWrapper.java:1344)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.stop(StandardWrapper.java:1666)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.removeChild(ContainerBase.java:892)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.removeChild(StandardContext.java:3095)
    	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.stop(ContextConfig.java:1082)
    	at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:276)
    	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stop(StandardContext.java:4355)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.removeChild(ContainerBase.java:892)
    	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.undeployApps(HostConfig.java:1164)
    	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.stop(HostConfig.java:1135)
    	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:312)
    	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.stop(ContainerBase.java:1054)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.stop(ContainerBase.java:1066)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.stop(StandardEngine.java:447)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:512)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:743)
    	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:601)
    	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina$CatalinaShutdownHook.run(Catalina.java:644)

Edit: In the past 30 minutes I have had to restart the serivce "Named (DNS Name Server)" twice - do you know how I can find out how/why it crashed?
    Last edited by AndyPP; 02-23-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Any reason why you are using Godaddy hosting services?

Since you seem to need a control panel, consider just moving to vpslatch for 20$ you can get a managed service with no headache.

Since they are "managed" they should be able to transfer all you stuff for free

I actually advised against godaddy from the beginning however I was ignored. If it was up to me I would indeed transfer.

Am I right in thinking that Named (DNS Name Server) requires tomcat to run?

Tomcat is consuming 240% CPU and crashing the control panel and I assume the other services. All within seconds of reboot. Urgh!

Considering the information I was able to provide does it sound like a misconfiguration of the server or a resource problem or possible faulty hardware?

thanks
    Try entering the domain name into http://intodns.com and see what the report says. It should give you some detailed information.

You can have both ns1 and ns2 pointing to the same IP address, although there are reasons not to do it. The main one I know is that if the server goes down, so does the name server, so it looks like the site has completely disappeared instead of just gone off-line. The end result is that email TO the server bounces back to the sender. If you have name servers "distributed" on different servers, then the sending mail server knows the site is valid but off-line and will queue the mail for delivery later. There is no reason to buy another IP address for the same server to have two separate IP addresses for name servers on it; there's no benefit that I know of, as both name servers go down at the same time.

Am I right in thinking that Named (DNS Name Server) requires tomcat to run?
    Nope Tomcat does not require DNS to run.
    DNS error cannot bring down your server but other services can cause trouble that bring down server including dns.
    According to your initial inspection, it could be the control panel.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

It sounds like you're running into OpenVZ memory problems with Tomcat.

From your root (or use sudo) commandline, type

Code:
    cat /proc/user_beancounters | grep '\(uid\|vmguar\|privvm\|oom\)'
    Ideally, you shouldn't see any values other than 0 in the failcnt column. The other values will help determine what horrible memory settings they have at Godaddy if that's the issue. Post the results here please.

Here are the results. Thanks for your assistance
    Code:
    uid	resource	held	maxheld	barrier	limit	failcnt
    privvmpages	47591	47591	262144	262144	1186
    vmguarpages	0	0	65536	2147483647	0
    oomguarpages	15945	15945	922337203685	4775807	2147483647	0

Thanks for posting it. Generally the memory allocation goes like this:

Java asks for a certain initial heap allocation. If your current memory seen in privmpages(held) is below vmguarpages(barrier), it gets it. If it's between vmguarpages(barrier) and privvmpages(barrier), it gets it only if there's enough free from the host.

When Java needs to grow the heap or allocate some memory for threads, this request process happens again. Sometimes it fails and increments failcnt. You currently have 1186 failed allocations there since last reboot.

It's a bit hard to predict whether it'll fail or not since it's based on how loaded a given node may be.

You might be able to constrain java a bit and tell it to only go up to a certain heap size. There's the Xmx option when starting tomcat via the java command line. Additionally, allocating the starting heap at the final size helps alleviate the recurring allocation problem. That'll be the Xms option.

Code:
    java -Xms64m -Xmx64m ...
    Java will still need to dynamically allocate more memory for threads on top of this so you need to make sure there's still a bit of buffer room left after the initial startup.

I understand 256MB isn't much room to play with. Other things to try are decreasing the stack sizes for certain programs to reclaim some idle memory.

That seems to make sense thanks, will have to wait until monday to have another look but will let you know how it goes

Another thought for you. You probably need to update the OS. When you order a virtual dedicated server, the image that they use is out of date. So you may want to SSH into the site and "yum update".

The simple control panel is kinda weird. You should definitely disable services that you dont need.

Talking CORRECT ANSWER

Hi all, just ran across this exact error, the perfect resolution was so easy. No mis-configuration, just crappy Godaddy servers... here is the fix:

login with your wheel/500/main user
    su - root

//into your ssh shell with root privileges (putty)

service cpanel restart

//Thats it, recovered my dns/nameserver crash within 1 minute -

//wouldn't hurt to do the following commands afterwards to be //safe

service httpd restart
    service mysql restart