GoDaddy is auctioning my domain name without me knowing it!

I was at GoDaddy Auction site today to browse for domain names up for auctions, and to my surprise, I saw my OWN domain name being auctioned (for $1,000, no less).

How is this even possible? I've emailed GoDaddy for explanation, but still, the mind boggles.... don't they verify domain ownership BEFORE putting a domain up for auction?

The domain name is registered at NameCheap, BTW.

Did you buy the domain recently from someone? It might be possible that old owner has listed it for auction at Godaddy. I've had similar experience at Namecheap. I bought domain from someone and they had listed it in namecheap marketplace. After 2-3 months someone bought it and it was removed from my Namecheap account (I never placed it in marketplace myself). The buyer was nice person though, he returned my domain after I explained it to him.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by kyaizen View Post
    I was at GoDaddy Auction site today to browse for domain names up for auctions, and to my surprise, I saw my OWN domain name being auctioned (for $1,000, no less).

How is this even possible? I've emailed GoDaddy for explanation, but still, the mind boggles.... don't they verify domain ownership BEFORE putting a domain up for auction?

The domain name is registered at NameCheap, BTW.
    I suppose your domain name has expired already and that was the main reason they placed that for auction?
    Or maybe that domain name belongs to the company not to you?
    Can you check that?

You Did the Right Thing that you email to the Godaddy Help. I am Sure they will definatily Remove your Domain name from auction list. This thing happen due to some older buyer.

I found that the domain had long expired before I re-registered it. It is due to expire again this July, but I'm not going to let it expire obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Aniqa View Post
    Did you buy the domain recently from someone? It might be possible that old owner has listed it for auction at Godaddy. I've had similar experience at Namecheap. I bought domain from someone and they had listed it in namecheap marketplace. After 2-3 months someone bought it and it was removed from my Namecheap account (I never placed it in marketplace myself). The buyer was nice person though, he returned my domain after I explained it to him.
    No, I didn't buy the domain from someone else. I registered it when it was available... and only after a couple of months later I found out that the domain WAS registered before and had expired way before I registered it.

I've talked to Namecheap and they say that there's no way the domain can get transferred out now without my explicit permission.

But still... kinda unnerving to see my own domain getting auctioned.

Probably no one will try to buy it - Make sure that it transfer lock

You can call also GD they answer the phone

@kyaizen I suggest that you log into your NameCheap account and that you:
    (a) change your password, to one that has at least 10 characters. A mixture of upper and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters (b) verify that all of your domain names are "locked" and (c) that you verify that *ALL* of the data they have for you is correct. Especially, your email address.

Sounds like someone got into your NameCheap account, got the Auth code for that domain name and then was able to initiate the transfer to GoDaddy. And, that the person changed the email address, so that the emails were sent to them and not to you. GL!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    Sounds like someone got into your NameCheap account
    Looks like you've missed a post or two.
    He bought the name at Namecheap, but it's listed (probably from before he bought it) at GoDaddy. He owns it, it's located at NC.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

@bear - Hopefully all is well

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Looks like you've missed a post or two.
    He bought the name at Namecheap, but it's listed (probably from before he bought it) at GoDaddy. He owns it, it's located at NC.
    @bear - Very possible that I misunderstood something. I looked into listing some of my domain names, on the GoDaddy Premium service, 2 or 3 weeks ago. One of their requirements is that the Domain Name(s) be registered on GoDaddy, if one is to list them with their Premium Domain service, for sale.

Hopefully, you are correct, that it was listed at GoDaddy, before he bought it, and that they never picked up on the fact that it was no longer registered with them. If so, nobody got into his account at NameCheap, which is the *worst* possible case.

Thanks guys. I changed my Namecheap password just in case. It seems that the domain is still listed on Namecheap, and have not been transferred out. Thank goodness.

I must say it's quite an unnerving experience. It's like stumbling upon a classified ad in the newspaper auctioning off your house!
    Last edited by kyaizen; 02-22-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Additional point

Quote Originally Posted by kyaizen View Post
    I must say it's quite an unnerving experience. It's like stumbling upon a classified ad in the newspaper auctioning off your house!
    Yeah, it is surely very much frustrating. Your comparison matches with the situation well.

Reply from GoDaddy:

Thank you for your inquiry. It appears the previous owner had the domain at auction when it was still active in their Go Daddy account. However, when the domain expired, it was never removed from the Go Daddy Auctions. We have cancelled the listing. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    Phew.

Hehehe. My sharing what domain it was?

Quote Originally Posted by JesusTheMessiah View Post
    Hehehe. My sharing what domain it was?
    Why do you want to know the domain name?

interesting, we have similar findings with sedo and afternic. Many times the previous owners of a domain name put it up for sale but never remove it. Sedo and afternic didn't do a good job cleaning their inventories either.

I have experience the same thing but the domain is only parked not auction

I'm getting very worried and concerned. I purchased my domain via google apps.. any idea how/who I should transfer my domain name to? I'm definitely moving out to some place secure. suggestions please?
    *Kiss*