I've been testing and setting up various kinds of webserver configurations lately, and realized that it would save me a lot of time if I had a script to automatically do a base install" whenever I spin up a fresh new server to benchmark. Had a some spare time this afternoon so I wrote one(two) scripts and figured others might find it useful somehow.
I know there are many low footprint install scripts around like the lowendbox's lowendscript and Centmin posted a few months back. But being a Debian person myself, I prefer Apache over nginx and none of the scripts offer the Debian + Apache combo.
Anyway, lets get down to details. The scripts automatically sets up the following :-
Serversetup Script http://tuxlite.com
- Basic server configuration such as setting the hostname, SSHD ports etc.
- Choice of 3 LAMP setups (switching setup from 1 to 2 or 3 works fine, but I've not tested the other way round)
1. mpm_prefork + mod_php
2. mpm_worker + mod_fcgid
3. mpm_worker + mod_fastcgi + PHP-FPM
- Optimizes LAMP config for low memory usage.
- Extra options to setup rtorrent and cronjobs for backups
Domainsetup Script http://tuxlite.com
- Quickly add a domain to Apache virtualhost config
- Setup awstats + phpmyadmin for each domain with daily log rotation
- Option to remove domain from server
To use the scripts, download them and make them executable. E.g.
Why Use These Scripts?
- Setup server, add your domain, set your DNS and you'll be hosting sites within minutes.
- Memory usage is ~50MB under Xen or KVM using mpm_worker setup.
- Apache mpm-worker config gives comparable/adequate performance to nginx for most situations. Setup is also compatible with the latest mpm-event module as well.
- ALL packages are from official Debian repositories, therefore configurations are standard and its easy to keep your server updated
- Functions are coded in simple "english", and some personal preferences of mine are commented out to keep installs as stock as possible. You can easily configure the functions to your liking.
Who Should Use These Scripts?
- Debian 6 users. Scripts will work with Debian 5 (lenny) as well, but remember to change sources.list to oldstable or lenny if you are using the script to reconfigure apt.
- Those using VPS to host personal sites, and do not require multi user / shared hosting environment.
- People who are lazy like me and wants things automated
- People who loves messing about with various LAMP stacks because Apache is win and life is meaningless without .htaccess support
- You are l33t and prefer not to use control panels with pretty GUIs
Bear in mind that my shell scripting skills are anything but good, and some of the code is adapted from various sources.
So if you find something off do let me know and I'll update the scripts accordingly.