WHMCS - To subdomain or not?

I was wondering, it is better or the standard to put whmcs under a subdomain or just under the domain? What would the advantage be for a subdomain?
    Last edited by GarrisonHost-John; 02-21-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IntelHost View Post
    I was wonder, it is better or the standard to put whmcs under a subdomain or just under the domain? What would the advantage be for a subdomain?
    There are really no advantages, it's mainly a vanity thing.
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

I do it under the main domain - that way you can share one ssl cert with your whmcs, idevaffiliate, etc.

Yes, there are no real advantages to do it under a sub domain, you may continue by simply creating a folder.

Well some who do it under subdomain do it so they can host it on a different server, but most people just do it because they see others doing it that way so for them there is no advantage.

It's worth segmenting it on a different system for security purposes, and highly recommended. If it's on an system or device of it's own you can implement additional scanning / monitoring.

It's kind of like the idea of putting a video camera outside your department store, vs. inside. You know that not everything occurring 'outside' is malicious, but anything on the internal camera is guaranteed to be bad after hours.

The same kind of effect can be relevant in hosting this kind of stuff. Minimize noise so you can watch more closely. They're worthwhile to implement.

WHM should be under the main domain. There is no need to put a WHM under sub-domain. Sub-domain can be easily managed via main domain.

I personally think it looks more professional if it's on a subdomain. But it's a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I would say that it looks slightly neater being a subdomain? It keeps the url nice and short, whilst making it look neater with nothing following the final forward slash.

http://whmcs.companyname.com/
    http://www.companyname.com/whmcs/

Also, does it make your file structure look neater on your hosting - by having two different areas - one for whmcs and one for the rest of your files? I'm not sure on this as I am no whmcs expert, it was just an idea.

It's the matter or SSL Certificates.

If you use it in your subdomain, you need to buy it a separate certificate.

i think to have a domain such as secure.yourname.com/billing makes it look nice, or billing.yourname.com, having yourname.com/whmcs looks really ugly.
    SupremeBytes, LLC
    █ Shared hosting, Reseller hosting, Dedicated Servers and Virtual Private Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by idknobody View Post
    i think to have a domain such as secure.yourname.com/billing makes it look nice, or billing.yourname.com, having yourname.com/whmcs looks really ugly.
    That's actually quite a good suggestion

i dont think it is ever wise to put the script name in your URL, because when you download the software- thats what its named in the zip file. Makes it look like you didnt put alot of time into seting it up, you know?

if you use secure.yourname.com/billing, then you could also have secure.yourname.com/chat (for live support to be SSL), and secure.site.com/support, if you have kayako or another 3rd party install.

Thats just my 2 cents of it.
    SupremeBytes, LLC
    █ Shared hosting, Reseller hosting, Dedicated Servers and Virtual Private Servers.

Well yeah, that's true, but the idea of putting it all under one secure sub domain is a good suggestion, still look professional, and doesn't waste an SSL Cert.

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxyRAF View Post
    Well yeah, that's true, but the idea of putting it all under one secure sub domain is a good suggestion, still look professional, and doesn't waste an SSL Cert.
    Then you dont have to secure the www. - best of both subdomain and not a useless cert
    SupremeBytes, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
    Well some who do it under subdomain do it so they can host it on a different server, but most people just do it because they see others doing it that way so for them there is no advantage.
    That's what I do. WHMCS is on a different server than the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by idknobody View Post
    support.example.com is what I use. It looks clean and also makes it clear what the purpose is. I think support.example.com is also a better name than billing.example.com. WHMCS handles both billing and support tickets.

Personally, I prefer sub-domain. However, there are no 'real' advantages here. Lot's of our clients use sub-domains, however a vast majority also choose to use their normal WHMCS directory path.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
    I do it under the main domain - that way you can share one ssl cert with your whmcs, idevaffiliate, etc.
    Same. I can use the same SSL certificate with WHMCS Live Chat then too.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting