Need suggestions for my hosting needs

I've used a shared host for a couple years and it's been great, but... I've just hit the 100 websites mark and my shared host has sent a few emails asking me to watch my memory as it's rising to over 100MB bursts and that's more than the allotted.

I certainly understand, as I've been paying a whopping $4.95 p/ month and getting a lot of use and great service from this host.

But... since I'm growing, I'm looking to find my next web host. Keeping in mind that I have 100 websites, and I want to grow 300 - 400 more over the next 5 years and current bandwidth (based on the 100 websites) is just under 15GB a month...

would suggestions be to move to the cloud, dedicated, vps, or ?? I am curious as to how these other platforms handle php/mysql websites.. and lots of them.

Thoughts?

I think most virtual private servers would work for you. Unless you are hosting sites that require a lot of I/O (database intensive), you could get away with a Linux VM with 1GB of RAM.

I have a customer that has 60 sites running on a CentOS VMware VM with 1GB of RAM and 1 CPU and she's had no problem at all. She pays about $110 a month which includes nightly backups but 99% of her sites are just mostly static so hard to say what would happen if she had a few sites that were very busy.
    -Tom

It seems you are growing out of your shared plan. I would really recommend a vps with 1-2gb ram. Id recommend getting cpanel as well to make the migration to a new server easier.

A dedicated server might not be a bad idea as well. It would really give you a lot of room to grow but it will also cost more.
    Ernie - Enzu Inc.| Managed Infrastructure and Cloud Services
    Public & Private Cloud | Hybrid Cloud | Dedicated Servers | VPS | Colocation
    Los Angeles | Dallas | Chicago | Miami | Asia Optimized Network
    Amazing Reseller Program | Ernie.Quick @ enzu.com| 702-965-1615 x 7040

It definitely sounds like you're ready for a Cloud Server (aka Cloud VPS). A 1GB/RAM Cloud Server could be had for about $50/mo which should suit your needs well and provide good scalability so you can grow when you need it.

Need suggestions for my hosting needs

It is preferred you to go for a cloud VPS or else a normal VPS since you crossed the 100 domains. You can also think of a small dedicated server now, so that you can upgrade it later. try burst[dot]net, so that you will get server options at very cheap rates.

Thx all. I have started down the road of research with your advice. I think I'm going to jump into the VPS world. The above mentioned burst.net has some awesome prices, but I'm finding some pretty past negative posts on this board about them. I'm currently considering either knownhost or vpslatch.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
    Thx all. I have started down the road of research with your advice. I think I'm going to jump into the VPS world. The above mentioned burst.net has some awesome prices, but I'm finding some pretty past negative posts on this board about them. I'm currently considering either knownhost or vpslatch.
    A VPS is definitely a good route to for your future plans. I couple I have had good experience with are Knownhost as you mentioned above and also Clubuptime. Both offer a solid service and offer managed VPS plans.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters

VPSLatch seems to have some great reviews on this forum.. Best of luck!
    Ernie - Enzu Inc.| Managed Infrastructure and Cloud Services
    Public & Private Cloud | Hybrid Cloud | Dedicated Servers | VPS | Colocation
    Los Angeles | Dallas | Chicago | Miami | Asia Optimized Network
    Amazing Reseller Program | Ernie.Quick @ enzu.com| 702-965-1615 x 7040

Virtual servers are a great way to go, they can easily be upgraded to scale with your growth. They also off complete customization, administration, and control over your hosting environment. Not sure what platform you are running on, but I've seen a lot of success with a Win2k8 R2 server + WebSitePanel. WSP is free (used to be dotnetpanel), easy to install, and easy to configure. If you are a LAMP user, PHP runs great in IIS 7 now with fastcgi, so making the switch isn't slow and painful like it was with iis6.

Ask for, or check testimonials/reviews from other customers. Good luck!

The above mentioned burst.net has some awesome prices, but I'm finding some pretty past negative posts on this board about them.
    Keep in mind that the majority of negative posts from us are 2+ years old. In November 2008 we completely replaced/upgraded our entire network, networking engineering staff, and billing/ordering system. Complaints since that time are a small fraction of they were prior.

Also, consider how large of a company we are compared to many of the others being discussed. Logically, having 15000+ clientele like we do, there are going to be more complaints posted, than with companies much much smaller than we are.

Also, we target the budget hosting sector, and naturally, that attracts alot of newbies, ToS/AUP abusers, children, foreigners from smaller economies, etc...which in turn results in more issues/complaints than you would see in other market sectors due to the nature of this client base.

Get a VPS or even an dedicated server.

Kind Regards,
    S. Scholte

Quote Originally Posted by ghMike View Post
    Virtual servers are a great way to go, they can easily be upgraded to scale with your growth. They also off complete customization, administration, and control over your hosting environment. Not sure what platform you are running on, but I've seen a lot of success with a Win2k8 R2 server + WebSitePanel. WSP is free (used to be dotnetpanel), easy to install, and easy to configure. If you are a LAMP user, PHP runs great in IIS 7 now with fastcgi, so making the switch isn't slow and painful like it was with iis6.

Ask for, or check testimonials/reviews from other customers. Good luck!
    Interesting. I've currently been at webfaction (LAMP).. and I will say, if you are just wanting shared hosting, they are simply awesome in every way... but they don't offer the vps. I would love to run 2k8 as I actually manage these where I work, but I have always managed MSSQL exclusive to 2k8 and wasn't sure I'd want to even attempt the migration of 100 php/mysql dbs to Windows. I might have to play around with some VMs and test some different distributions. Thanks for giving me even more to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    Keep in mind that the majority of negative posts from us are 2+ years old. In November 2008 we completely replaced/upgraded our entire network, networking engineering staff, and billing/ordering system. Complaints since that time are a small fraction of they were prior.

Also, consider how large of a company we are compared to many of the others being discussed. Logically, having 15000+ clientele like we do, there are going to be more complaints posted, than with companies much much smaller than we are.

Also, we target the budget hosting sector, and naturally, that attracts alot of newbies, ToS/AUP abusers, children, foreigners from smaller economies, etc...which in turn results in more issues/complaints than you would see in other market sectors due to the nature of this client base.
    Fair enough. I appreciate the response! Is your support center equally as fast? I'll definitely keep you in mind as I continue my research here.

One thing I don't understand, and please feel free to correct me on this, is why you don't just stick with your current provider by buying more shared plans? Since it sounds like no individual site of yours break the limits and its more of an aggregate thing, you could just spread it out across the multiple plans. Given the extra income, I'd be surprised if they don't want to work with you to distribute the load across their servers. Or are they steadfastly resistant to you paying them more?

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    One thing I don't understand, and please feel free to correct me on this, is why you don't just stick with your current provider by buying more shared plans? Since it sounds like no individual site of yours break the limits and its more of an aggregate thing, you could just spread it out across the multiple plans. Given the extra income, I'd be surprised if they don't want to work with you to distribute the load across their servers. Or are they steadfastly resistant to you paying them more?
    I've definitely considered it and the only reason I've started looking elsewhere was one email in particular. Out of about a hundred different emails over the last year, the company's been extremely polite and always kind. There was only one.. a few weeks ago.. that I got that was basically written like "get a handle on your memory or your account will be cancelled". I was kind of shocked as I also expected more of a letter like "you're going over your limits and will need to upgrade".

It was only this email that made me nervous and got me thinking .. "uh oh.. what if someone there was just having a bad day and saw my memory go over the limit again.. and decide to nix my account?" It kind of made me realize the ease of which my account could be cancelled. I'd feel sick as I've worked to make a pretty decent additional adsense income off of my sites.

I dunno.. maybe I should just email and ask them for more assurance.. offer to pay more or whatever.

But.. I did plan on just keeping the current sites where they are and keeping the current host... and get a vm for the next couple hundred sites. The current host have since stated that the one site that seemed to be causing most of the issue has seemingly now been corrected and the memory usage looks better.

Anyway.. that's the short of it. When it becomes a business, the insurance aspect of having your butt covered becomes hugely more important.

It was only this email that made me nervous and got me thinking .. "uh oh.. what if someone there was just having a bad day and saw my memory go over the limit again.. and decide to nix my account?" It kind of made me realize the ease of which my account could be cancelled. I'd feel sick as I've worked to make a pretty decent additional adsense income off of my sites.
    I've seen this attitude a number of times from providers, not directly, but I've seen it in many TOS's I've read.

It make me uncomfortable also. It reasonable for a provider to say, if your site is taking over the server and jeopardizing other clients access we will have to suspend you until we can get you upgraded, but it that isn't the case, then why not just give you the option of upgrading?

If your not confident they will keep you sites going if you get a little burst of traffic, and your making some income off of them, then I would get someone that you can count on.

Anyway.. that's the short of it. When it becomes a business, the insurance aspect of having your butt covered becomes hugely more important.
    Thanks for filling that in and I totally understand. Welcome to the world of VPS

I've used a shared host for a couple years and it's been great, but... I've just hit the 100 websites mark and my shared host has sent a few emails asking me to watch my memory as it's rising to over 100MB bursts and that's more than the allotted.

I certainly understand, as I've been paying a whopping $4.95 p/ month and getting a lot of use and great service from this host.

But... since I'm growing, I'm looking to find my next web host. Keeping in mind that I have 100 websites, and I want to grow 300 - 400 more over the next 5 years and current bandwidth (based on the 100 websites) is just under 15GB a month...

would suggestions be to move to the cloud, dedicated, vps, or ?? I am curious as to how these other platforms handle php/mysql websites.. and lots of them.

Thoughts?
    if that plan suits your need you can better go for cloud hosting

Its depend upon your website traffic or usage of bandwidth if you have huge traffic on your 100 website then you must use Dedicated server. But your site is like 1 or 5 pages website then you can use any shared host that will be well for you.