Exclamation Wich kind of hosting do I need?

Hi! I'm new here and I'm from Spain so excuse me for my bad English.

I do own a website wich consists of 6 images, 6 php files, and 9 text files. Each php file just includes 4 of the text files (first header.txt, second it's own content(welcome,contact,about,...).txt, then advertising.txt and finally footer.txt). Each txt has it's own html content of about 3-5kb.

When accesing to one of those php in a web browser it shows the website (an html with about 10-12kb) including 6 image files.

I would like to know wich kind of hosting (shared, vps, dedicated) and wich technical features it should have (RAM, Cores, ...) to serve a maxium of about 6.000 visits/second (just 2 or 3 hours a day the rest of the day it does not arrive to 2.000 visits/second).

Thank you for your help.

A shared hosting on either Quad or Dual Core server will be sufficient for your's site.

I would also suggest you to short list hosts that offer money back guarantee, so you can check their services, speed and up time and choose one of them after testing their support response calmly.

I think spain uses . for the thousands delimiter - correct me if I'm wrong carlosalfpar. I don't think a shared hosting could deal with 42k (7x6k) requests per second.

Just the php include would probably kill it dead. You might want to consider pre-building the html permutations and serve those so you get the benefit of the client cache too. With regards to the requests... multiple servers is the only way I think.

If you search WHT for "Vexxhost review" there are some reviews, doesn't seem like anything very recent though.
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

6000 visits per second? you need 2 or 3 dedicated server, with load balancer, minimum.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

If 6 visitor per second then you need a powerful VPS.
    Dewlance® Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller - US/UK/EU/FRK/CA - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    DemoTiger.com - Buy Demo Videos for your Hosting Company

Jedito is correct. If it's 6000/sec you need dedicated server.

I think that worth to get started with the smallest web hosting account. Check web hosting offers section for that. And the choice of yor web hosting service also depends on the budget you have.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by WebhostGIANT-Rob View Post
    I think that worth to get started with the smallest web hosting account. Check web hosting offers section for that. And the choice of yor web hosting service also depends on the budget you have.
    6000 visits a second on the "smallest web hosting account"? Yeah, indeed. And you will be suspended like in no time.

Anyway carlosalfpar, depending on your setup you could do with one or multiple DEDICATED servers for what you required. If you are able to get everything cached and no PHP is executed 6000 times a second, as well as you run heavily optimized web server setup on a very powerful RAID box and keep your files into the servers RAM, well - then and only then 1 server could be enough. Otherwise, you'd need several boxes with loadbalancer. 6000 visits a second is A LOT for such a small site though, are you sure there's no error in your calculations?
    www.1h.com
    We optimize your hosting business!

Check the fastest proactive server monitoring: 1H Guardian

6.000 visits/second. you need a powerful vps

Thumbs up Hosting

There are different types of web hosting, like shared hosting,grid hosting,free hosting and reseller hosting.In that the shared web hosting is best choice,because it provides wide range of benefits in low cost.It puts number of sites on same physical server. in this user can share bandwidth,disk space and also shares various network resources.

Go for a VPS or dedi server. A shared plan cannnot handle the kind of traffic you're anticipating.

is it 6 or 6,000? if 6 then shared hosting and if 6,000 then i think some dedicated serer are what you asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosalfpar View Post
    I would like to know wich kind of hosting (shared, vps, dedicated) and wich technical features it should have (RAM, Cores, ...) to serve a maxium of about 6.000 visits/second (just 2 or 3 hours a day the rest of the day it does not arrive to 2.000 visits/second).
    For the experts in cloud hosting here, doesn't this just scream out for some kind of expandable cloud hosting like Amazon's EC2 (or whatever its called) or RackSpace's cloud hosting?

Amazon EC2 gets pretty pricey for what you do get. Plus they have been having several DDoS attacks. I know of two major major sites I use a lot that run on EC2 and they are very slow.

Rackspace has also had a few high profile outages. People are on the fence how much of a cloud it really is.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

You should use DDoS protected services which are provided by some companies. I don't remember their domains but if you google you will find them.

Thank you everybody. You helped me a lot. I expect about 6000 visits/second (about 42.000 files requested every second). I will go for various dedicated servers.

How many file requests/IOPs could a Dedicated Server and a VPS serve each second with a Sata II disk drive (7200 rpm) and how many Mb/s.

Thank you very much again.

(edit) I need this information to know how many servers will I need to pay for.
    Last edited by carlosalfpar; 02-24-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: aditional explanation

18. People really shouldn't be advising shared or small hosting plans for 6 visitors a second. If you actually bothered to do the math you would see that Carlo is expecting 216,000 visitors a day, for which shared hosting would not be adequate.

For 6 visitors a second for 3 hours and 2 visitors a second after that, I would recommend a good dedicated server.

And I don't think you meant 6000 visitors per second, because then you would be expecting hundreds of millions of visitors a day, which seems unlikely. For those kind of numbers you would need a complex hosting package from the likes of Mediatemple.

People should really stop hazarding guesses, shared hosting for 216,000 visitors a day? No chance. One dedicated server that can handle 216,000,000 visitors a day? You find me one.

So for 6 visits per second; go with a strong dedicated server.

Best Regards,
    Rhys Dawes.

<<signatures to be setup in your profile only>>
    Last edited by sirius; 02-25-2011 at 09:20 PM.

19. Wow so you are expecting 216,000,000 visits a day, don't you think that's a bit of an over-estimation?

Google gets roughly 7.2 billion page views a day and 620 million visitors; and your hoping to get 3% of what Google gets? You either have a hugely popular site, or your figures are unrealistic.

To give you an idea; Google has roughly at least 1 million servers, and if you expect 3% of its traffic, minus the complexities of its websites, you could be looking at 1000 to 2000 good servers.

I hope this gives you some idea of how astronomical the figures your predicting are.

Best Regards,
    Rhys Dawes.

<<signatures to be setup in your profile only>>
    Last edited by sirius; 02-25-2011 at 09:20 PM.