Gaming Server Rig - Max Slots

Hi, i'm wondering what exactly would my max slots be on this system.

E5400 Dual Core at 2.7Ghz
    2Gb DDR2 RAM
    250GB HDD
    200GB BandWidth

It will be running CSS, TF2 and DODS. Along with IIS, MySQL server and TcAdmin.

Thanks.

How fast is your port to the internet? Is it a dedicated port?

You should of course run tcadmin on another server.

10Mbit and yes dedicated.

Well, there are many factors that can change the amount of players possible. From the looks of it, your bottleneck is your connection, followed by your RAM.

If you're running server with sv_maxrate 20000 you can expect to run ~50-60 slots with plenty of overhead.

Again, some people will disagree with me, but there are so many other factors to consider depending on your server configuration.

Edit: I didn't even factor in your webserver and tcadmin, which will reduce my estimated number.
    Last edited by fraghost; 02-21-2011 at 07:50 AM.

If I change the rates, too a low setting, but still keeping them within a reasonable amount for good play.
    Something like this:

sv_maxcmdrate 66
    sv_maxupdaterate 25
    sv_minupdaterate 10
    sv_maxrate 9500
    sv_minrate 3000

I dont want to jam pack game servers into this machine, but get my moneys worth. I haven't bought it yet, just doing my homework.
    It will cost me $160 for just the machine.
    Last edited by bcool; 02-21-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Hmmm, you might start choking the server at that rate. I guess testing those settings on a full server will be the only way to tell.

As far as numbers go, you can get around 100 slots, but you'll need more RAM.

For $160/mo, you can get a much better server with much more bandwidth.

As frag said, I don't suggest doing anything lower than 4 GB Ram. I also never run on a 10 port.

The CPU is fine, but if you can upgrade the ram, bandwidth and port you would be way more successful and less playing the guessing game.

I think that with that box you would be paying more in colo fees than it is worth and if you are renting that I would be hoping it was a low cost.

I honestly don't think anyone can give a good estimate on what a server can handle as it is dependent on a lot of factors and a balancing act on the operators side.

If I had to say a number though I would go with 75 slotter. At that point I would take it real slow and monitor my resources and stress on the system to re-evaluate.
    Erick T.

I'm in Australia, so every thing is quite a bit more expensive. I would be renting it.

Ram is around $10 every GB.

Bandwitdh is $45 every 100GB.

it would be alot cheaper to look for a colocation for it. take some time before you rent and just save money to build a server.

i had a quick look for a australian colocation host from google and this host seems to be the cheapest for a single 1u colo :
    http://www.serversaustralia.com.au/c...on/sau_1RU.php

You'll only be able to run two servers on that box. (they can be 32 slots or 64 slots, doesn't really matter.) With all the things you listed there and assuming the servers will be full since your ram and bandwidth limit you, not so much the processor.

bcool,

Assuming all servers are performed at optimal settings, you should be able to fit around 40-60 active slots, 75-100 in total (assuming not all slots will be active at the same time). I highly recommend a stronger processor and more ram.

thanks,
    Patrick Nett | E-mail: Patrick.Nett[at]Gmail.com

I would agree with Patrick but there are so many different variables.

Hardware is ok, it will run your games without problems, just that 10Mbps is not enough

sv_maxcmdrate 66
    sv_maxupdaterate 25
    sv_minupdaterate 10
    sv_maxrate 9500
    sv_minrate 3000

I agree with Patrick, but there are many different variables.

About 2 16 slot servers per core, so 16x4 = 64 slots. Based upon orange box running 500fps each with added overhead for plugins and etc

The upload speed is pretty bad. You need at least 3-5Mbps for a good tf2 32 player tf2 server with 66 tic and rates up to 40000. I would try and find either a good VPS or rent a small end server with 4GB Ram on a 100mb connection.

3/4 Servers max with this.

I would not recommend running MYSql on the server if you are using our software.

If you are using Version 1 then go with the MS Access Database. If you are using Version 2 then go with the SQLite DB.

They have much smaller resource requirements than MYSql.
    www.tcadmin.com
    The Game Hosting Control Panel

Quote Originally Posted by TCA View Post
    I would not recommend running MYSql on the server if you are using our software.

If you are using Version 1 then go with the MS Access Database. If you are using Version 2 then go with the SQLite DB.

They have much smaller resource requirements than MYSql.
    Or you can always rent a small VPS to host the master like we're doing for performance reasons. But then comes the cost ( for additional license ), well worth it in my honest opinion.