Some YouTube videos block my US-based VPS from watching, is this normal?

Hi, I have a VPS from Thrust, with an IP 109.169.x.y, I use it as VPN server to watch YouTube. For some reason, YouTube seems to think the IP's from other country and blocks me from watching some videos. The following is a blocked video example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB9EzDV2Cz4

When I try to watch, YouTube shows "This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

I've opened tickets to ask help from Thrust, they've confirmed the IP's in US. Then I checked around, while ip2location showing the IP's in US, their are some other sources (like strongvpn and 12vpn) showing my IP's in Maidenhead, UK. Pretty weird thing.

Does anybody have similar issues ? Is it a VPS issue or YouTube issue?

Thank you.

It must be the VPN, it may be hiding your IP with a foreign IP.

Hmm...I checked the IP, ip2location and other sources report the same with my ifconfig result, so I guess there's no hiding here.

Are you using the DNS of your local ISP, or are you letting OpenVPN set your DNS through to something like OpenDNS. I've noticed this oddity and am still trying to grasp how it works.

I'm pushing Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) to clients, and I've checked DNS on client side, it is Google's.

Google NOT only detects your IP address, but also detects your system language, OS, other stuffs. So your "US IP" is useless.
    Last edited by jerrychenme; 02-21-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: convention errors

Try the default OpenDNS ips and see if that solves it.

Well, I don't think DNS could be the cause. DNS protocol can not involve OS detection or something like that because there's no Google client running on my system. Besides, I'm running Mac OS X, locale is set to English, location set to US. how come a detection (suppose it exists) detect I'm from non-US?

Yes, this is a very common message to see if you are using YouTube from within the United States and attempt to open a video that has some sort of a DMCA/copyright issue.

For example, I just opened YouTube and searched for "popular love songs". I'm presented with this video for Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19rC-Fl-KwM

If I attempt to open it, I am blocked and shown the message:

"This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is not available in your country. Sorry about that."

The message seems to imply that certain countries are able to view this video regardless of the copyright violation it represents. Why would Sony allow this? Probably for the same reasons Microsoft allows their products to be legally sold for $5/license in countries like India, but sticks US consumers with $300+/license for the same product. It's their [pathetic] attempt at "combating" piracy. In their eyes, making $5 per copy profit is better than $0...which is true, but it does absolutely nothing to address the real problem. It basically just means US consumers are once again footing the bill.

Personally, I wish YouTube only show results that are viewable to me should I decide to click them.

JZ

Thanks guys. JoshZZ yr explanation sounds reasonable, as long as all US IP host are also blocked by the video I shown above as an example. Otherwise, your explanation may not be applicable in this situation. Afaik, EU people are blocked, and at least one Canadian VPS can watch.

So is there any one with US IP VPS can watch that video (I meant the one I gave)?

Quote Originally Posted by tester2k9 View Post
    Well, I don't think DNS could be the cause. DNS protocol can not involve OS detection or something like that because there's no Google client running on my system. Besides, I'm running Mac OS X, locale is set to English, location set to US. how come a detection (suppose it exists) detect I'm from non-US?
    I did NOT say that it was about DNS. Google has their own technology to detect your real country. It's just the matter of time.

I suppose there is a problem in IPs not in location at all.