Juniper J2320 for full BGP multihoming

I am looking to deploy a new router for switching from a single provider to a multihomed setup including some peering. Looking at acquiring J2320 with 1MB for that purpose and wondering whether it will handle full BGP for a few years considering growth of routing tables and IPv6 transition? Juniper datasheet says 400k routes for this box. Does anybody have any guesses as to when will this router become too small for what I am thinking of using it for?

uplinks will either be FE or 1GE. Traffic is not significant- I am sure this router will have plenty of capacity left to spare as far as traffic requirements (and when the traffic requirements exceed this router's capacity it will then automatically justify an upgrade to a bigger box).

This particular model because it is same hardware as SSG-320M and we already have several of those boxes. So we get the benefit of having the same spare power supplies, plug in modules, etc. Plus the units are space-efficient being 1U and reasonably power efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by DMDM View Post
    uplinks will either be FE or 1GE. Traffic is not significant- I am sure this router will have plenty of capacity left to spare as far as traffic requirements (and when the traffic requirements exceed this router's capacity it will then automatically justify an upgrade to a bigger box).

This particular model because it is same hardware as SSG-320M and we already have several of those boxes. So we get the benefit of having the same spare power supplies, plug in modules, etc. Plus the units are space-efficient being 1U and reasonably power efficient.
    Well you definitely couldn't handle two upstreams with full tables regardless. Also there's reports of issues above 100Mbps on this unit.. might want to look at a 4350 or so if you're hooked on the J-series.

Edit: Then again it looks like you can toss a 2GB module in here and get the extra table capacity.
    Last edited by LoginTech; 02-20-2011 at 06:49 PM.

I would not go down this road. The J series is software based routing solution, not a hardware/ASICs based solution and will fall over under a moderate DDoS attack.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

The 23XX models will not do what you need to do.
    You'll need a J4350 with 2GB of ram at a minimum.
    Also, all of the "services" JunOS revs are terrible.
    You'll either wanna stick with 9.3R4.4 or forget about J series.
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    The J series is software based routing solution, not a hardware/ASICs based solution and will fall over under a moderate DDoS attack.
    They'll forward around 60-100K packets per second, so as long as people are DOS'ing with big packets you'll be ok
    www.appliedops.net

I have also found references of people running J2320 with 2GB, 2.5GB or even 4GB of RAM.

What would be the smallest hardware-based router from Juniper that can handle multiple instances of full routing tables?

You'd probably want an M7i, they go for around $5500 with 1 gige or 2 fast-e interfaces.
    www.appliedops.net

Quote Originally Posted by appliedops View Post
    You'd probably want an M7i, they go for around $5500 with 1 gige or 2 fast-e interfaces.
    What about SRX650- would that be a better option considering it costs less and has 4GE onboard? Performance seems to be impressive too based on the datasheet.

edit: I might have looked at the wrong price for SRX650 - as in "chassis only".

While the SRXes are great at firewalling, not so great at general all purpose routing... SRX650 is also like $12k, so pretty hugely more expensive than the J series.
    www.appliedops.net

It looks like you can only add one 1GE port per module based on Juniper's guide. They have this table entitled "Flexible, Scalable Connectivity" and it shows that M7i and M10i can NOT have any 2-port, 4-port or 10 port 1GE and nether can they have 10GE ports. So one 1GE on board plus max 4 additional 1GE ports is the limit of what Juniper calls "Scalable Connectivity"? Also I did not find exact pricing but those 1 port modules look expensive.

Am I missing something?

Yes, the Juniper PIC's that the M7 series will accept are 1Gbps only, even if you get a 4 Port GigE PIC. On the plus side, the M7/10i will actually forward at full PIC rate even under DOS.

You can pick up the SX modules for around $1k/each used. Keep in mind this discussion originally started out with a J2350, a box incapable of forwarding a whole lot and barely expandable.
    www.appliedops.net

While the SRXes are great at firewalling, not so great at general all purpose routing... SRX650 is also like $12k, so pretty hugely more expensive than the J series.
    We recently got a SRX650 for ~$10k new. Some decent pricing to be had if you shop around.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Yes, the Juniper PIC's that the M7 series will accept are 1Gbps only, even if you get a 4 Port GigE PIC. On the plus side, the M7/10i will actually forward at full PIC rate even under DOS.

You can pick up the SX modules for around $1k/each used. Keep in mind this discussion originally started out with a J2350, a box incapable of forwarding a whole lot and barely expandable.
    Incapable of forwarding- sure, but it is definitely expandable as far as ports go. By M7i standards of expandability the little J2320 is a monster as it can have 21 1GE ports vs 5 on M7i.

All things considered I am at a loss trying to figure out what to buy from Juniper. J series is software-based and software runs on old hardware. The bottom M series models have this bizarre limitation on ports (maybe they are outdated just like J series is?) There really is no decent router option from Juniper in 1 to 5Gbps range... Maybe something is coming this year in their product pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    We recently got a SRX650 for ~$10k new. Some decent pricing to be had if you shop around.
    That looks like about the only option worth considering from Juniper for a small router, and then 10k sounds like a lot for a device that is "not so great at general all purpose routing"...

Is that memory upgradable? 800k routes is plenty today but might not be enough in the future.

Also, how does SRX behave under attack as far as forwarding performance?

Juniper M series is a true router. It's not a layer 3 switch. It has support for a large and wide variety of Ethernet, OCx, ATM and other SONET based mediums / protocols. Also, all ports are fully hardware routed, ASICs based. Performance is not sacrificed in the name of port density. Typically, you would have 2+ M series routers on your edge and then trunk your traffic down to some core/distribution switches which will break out to your top of rack access switches.

Your J2320 will fall flat on it's face if you try to run 21 gigabit ports at line rate (42Gbps total traffic). It's a software based router. Your 2320 will probably fall flat on it's face if you try to pass 10Gbps of IMIX traffic. Good luck trying to pass 10Gbps of 64 byte packets. It will crap out after about 100Mbps of 64-byte packets (89, actually, per the spec). Your Juniper M7/M7i/M10/M10i will pass this traffic all day long, regardless of packet size and will do it without any trouble, complaints or hassle.

Preferring expandability for the sake of being oversubscribed by 20:1 is silly. Bottom line, the J2320 is designed for an enterprise branch office application. It is not designed to be sitting as an Internet facing eBGP router. There's a reason why they make xDSL modules for the J series ... cough, gag, groan.

The SRX650 is rated at 900kpps @ 64-byte packets ~ 500Mbps.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I might have found what I was looking for (combining my original requirements with what I learned here)- a (preferrably 1U) router that does at least 1Gbps in traffic, high pps rate, has reasonable number of 1GE ports and has memory expansion capability to handle well over 1 million routes. That would be Cisco 7201. Any comments?

Take a look @vyatta. Its a software based router. People still have in mind how bad the first software router with PCI and Pentium architecture was.

Hardware has been changed since than a lot and a software router can be realy good compared to hadware routers nowadays especialy comparing the price!

But let numbers speak for their own. (2 Million packets per second)

http://www.vyatta.com/downloads/data..._datasheet.pdf

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I might have found what I was looking for (combining my original requirements with what I learned here)- a (preferrably 1U) router that does at least 1Gbps in traffic, high pps rate, has reasonable number of 1GE ports and has memory expansion capability to handle well over 1 million routes. That would be Cisco 7201. Any comments?
    It's definitely a better choice than the J2320 imho.

As you probably read, the 7201 is a 7200 VXR platform with a NPE-G2 built in. Depending on how much of a premium rackspace is for you, you may want to compare it to a 7204VXR chassis + NPE-G2 which would give you more slots to add interfaces.

The Brocade CER 2000 router series was mentioned recently in another thread, at a similiar price point and 1U size. It would give you the advantage of a hardware-based forwarding platform which should hold up in a high-PPS attack.
    Tranquil Hosting

+1 for Vyatta

I use vyatta as well in a KVM instance to do OpenVPN, OSPF, and firewall. It works quite well.

For your instance I would install it on a dedicated server with lots of RAM and good quality gigabit nics.

Also a support contract for Vyatta wouldn't be a bad thing either. If you are comfortable configuring Cisco products Vyatta has a cli interface that is almost like Cisco actually I like it better.

Incapable of forwarding- sure, but it is definitely expandable as far as ports go. By M7i standards of expandability the little J2320 is a monster as it can have 21 1GE ports vs 5 on M7i.

All things considered I am at a loss trying to figure out what to buy from Juniper. J series is software-based and software runs on old hardware. The bottom M series models have this bizarre limitation on ports (maybe they are outdated just like J series is?) There really is no decent router option from Juniper in 1 to 5Gbps range... Maybe something is coming this year in their product pipeline?
    What are you going to do with 21 x GE ports? The J2320's routing capacity is 150 kpps which is good for about 73 Mbps (64 byte packets) or ~1716 Mbps at MTU.

As others have stated the M7i is ASIC based and will handle substantially more traffic. I encourage you to read the product sheets closely.

A couple things here.

First of all, if you are worried about memory constraints for full routes, it would be very simple to just write an import route policy to restrict the routes learned to say /22 and shorter. You shouldn't really take any hit on performance.

Technically the SRX650 is still a branch level device, but we run them in the datacenter.

That being said, the SRX is an excellent device and does routing just as well as any of the M series routers, arguably. The SRX is designed for people who don't want both a firewall and a router, and it has asic for everything. Forwarding performance is excellent and the box does most everything at wire speed, including IPS functions. They also run JunOS, which is a great step up from screenOS.

Is anyone able to explain to me why the SRX isn't great at general routing?

Morgan