US dedicated server with decent transatlantic connection

Hi there,

I am looking for a dedicated server (no VPS) offer in the US that has good connectivity to european ISPs, which means that it would have to be able to stream videos accross the atlantic. I tried a large hoster but dl rates dropped below 50 kb/s during busy hours of the day which really wasn't enough for what I am trying to do.

I also need:
    - 4-5 IPs for now with the option to get a bunch more relatively cheap
    - debian os (64 bit preferably)
    - lowest hardware possible, dual core atom would be just fine, not much calculations to be done
    - 100 mbit/s dedicated line with the option to upgrade to 1gbit/s

Transatlantic speed is by far the most important feature required, traffic is probably not going to be very high to start off but might get more, so for the start, around 2-10 TB per month (or equivalent percentile billing scheme) should be included with the option to get more, of course.

Budget is $100-150/month max. (maybe 200 with a really REALLY good connection to europe...)

Please tell me if you know any good hosters that offer what I am looking for, preferably with downloadable test file so that I can check transatlantic speeds. I have been googling for quite some hours and didn't find anything that convinced me, yet.

Thank you!

Why don't you just get a server in Europe such as LeaseWeb, so you can get fast connection? If you must have a server in the U.S then looking for the providers in New York.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

I've not had any problems doing video on a number of low budget providers, even sending video to turkey. Maybe you just had bad luck with your last provider? With typical video at 500 kilobit, a solid connection at 1 megabit / stream should be good enough, and I've really not come across any network in the US that couldn't sustain at least 1 megabit / second per stream to Europe.

100tb / fdc / wizzsolutions / etc. all have done fine for me.

If you want great speeds, quadranet surprisingly was really really fast when I tried them. Was easily able to do 100 megabit / second single threaded from them to a server I had in the UK. So if you're doing hi-def video, that's where I would look first.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Telia Sonera, Global Crossing, Leval3, Cogent - all of them have direct connection to Europe from East Cost. Check if your potential provider has one those lines and you'll be good to go.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    100tb / fdc / wizzsolutions / etc. all have done fine for me.

If you want great speeds, quadranet surprisingly was really really fast when I tried them.
    fdc - thats where I'm coming from, unfortunately, connections to a lot of european (mainly german) isps suck and they tell me there's nothing they can do about it

100tb - their lowest cpu is a xeon, much more than I need, I'd rather pay that price for a decent connection than for hardware. Also, I couldn't find a test file.

wizzsolutions - they are charging you $2,20 for each additional IP, I might need a number of them one day so I have to consider that price, too. Oh and their test file is asking me for a password...

quadranet - I am getting only ~350 kB/s on their test file right now on my connection, I'd really like to get more than that. Also, their datacenter is in dallas, so no east coast.

I also looked at a number of other hosts but I couldn't find what I am looking for - low hardware, good european connection, option to get a number of IPs for a good price.

Maybe you could try BurstNET. My leaseweb server is getting 10.1MB/s from their speedtest file.

You could try LimeStoneNetwork. I heard great reviews about them.

Quote Originally Posted by ^CJ^ View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

fdc - thats where I'm coming from, unfortunately, connections to a lot of european (mainly german) isps suck and they tell me there's nothing they can do about it

100tb - their lowest cpu is a xeon, much more than I need, I'd rather pay that price for a decent connection than for hardware. Also, I couldn't find a test file.

wizzsolutions - they are charging you $2,20 for each additional IP, I might need a number of them one day so I have to consider that price, too. Oh and their test file is asking me for a password...

quadranet - I am getting only ~350 kB/s on their test file right now on my connection, I'd really like to get more than that. Also, their datacenter is in dallas, so no east coast.

I also looked at a number of other hosts but I couldn't find what I am looking for - low hardware, good european connection, option to get a number of IPs for a good price.
    as to 100tb, they do rent out pentium D's for $133. Do a search in the offers forum. The post is pretty old but the order link still works.

as to quadranet, their DC is in los angeles. They have a secondary location in Dallas. Sure, it's not east coast, but I did get surprisingly better performance to the UK than you would assume for a west coast DC.

If European performance is so important, why not get a server in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    as to 100tb, they do rent out pentium D's for $133. Do a search in the offers forum. The post is pretty old but the order link still works.

as to quadranet, their DC is in los angeles. They have a secondary location in Dallas. Sure, it's not east coast, but I did get surprisingly better performance to the UK than you would assume for a west coast DC.

If European performance is so important, why not get a server in Europe?
    Thank you, I will look at that offer. I am running a number of servers in europe, this one is intended to be a running VPN tunnels, as a number of our customers have asked for a US based server to get access to US-only services.

Quote Originally Posted by ^CJ^ View Post
    Thank you, I will look at that offer. I am running a number of servers in europe, this one is intended to be a running VPN tunnels, as a number of our customers have asked for a US based server to get access to US-only services.
    Ah, VPN tunnels can be a different story entirely. A lot of the problems are magnified as by default most VPN implementations are in TCP. So you're tunneling a TCP connection over another TCP connection. Any packet loss or latency is magnified, because it causes problems in both the inner and outer TCP connection, so it just ends up becoming a complete mess. Not only is latency and speed a problem, but even a tiny bit of congestion or packet loss will become a huge problem instead of a very small one, if the network is not perfect, when tunneling a TCP protocol over a TCP tunnel.

If you can, you'll want to use a VPN protocol that supports encapsulating over UDP, which will mostly solve a number of these issues. I believe OpenVPN supports this, but I don't know if it does so by default or not. Failing that, you'll want the VPN server to be as close as possible to your end users. Hosts in New York or Ashburn would be preferred for this.

I have been using all kinds of VPN types, like openvpn via UDP and TCP, PPTP and L2TP. None of them performs well if your actual non-vpn connection has only 50 kB/s of download speed The difference between the TCP and UDP tunnels was hardly measurable.

For what it's worth, I'm using FDC chicago. They have a wider selection of carriers and that network is generally considered better by anyone I've talked to about it. If you're using Denver, then I'm not terribly surprised with the results. Either way, most of your transatlantic fiber goes from NY -> London, or Ashburn -> London, so a provider in either city will work best for you.

I had my server in the Chicago location.
    Right now I am considering going with serverdeals.org as the performance on the test file they supplied me seems to be allright for most connections I tested and they have a nice special deal on the offers forum. I don't find any reviews about them, though except for some strange fraud accusations...

Quote Originally Posted by misspink View Post
    Maybe you could try BurstNET. My leaseweb server is getting 10.1MB/s from their speedtest file.
    Are you testing from our East Coast US location?

InterServer has worked out pretty well for us as a backup solution, they're up in New Jersey.

Interserver's network is really good.